Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fiberglass A-Pillar Seam Repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fiberglass A-Pillar Seam Repair

So, in my desparate attempt to get the doors to fit I had to trim this edge of the fiberglass A-pillar. This edge had a slight bulge to it that the top of the door would hit. But now I have this super ugly seam and I'm really not sure the best way to repair it. It looks like I'm for sure going to have to remove the doors to do some fiberglass work here but I'm not sure how to mold the mat into the right shape with a seam like this.

Anyone have some tips?

IMG_20200605_214709.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a coupe, and that is a really close up shot, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. But at first glance I would tape up anything you don't want to get fiberglass on it with packing tape, and then use some "peanut butter" to fill in the seam. Resin with foam beads or some other filler mixed in to give it body.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've built an 818 coupe and solved the A-pillar problems, but I also don't see exactly what you are trying to do. Can you post a pic from a little further away?
    Also, Mechie3 posted a comprehensive thread recently that shows many techniques for molding and finishing fiberglass that was very handy for me when I fixed the A-pillar gaps.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-and-Materials
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ah, ok maybe my picture wasn't very clear. I'm away from the car for a few weeks so I can't take another picture, but I'm trying to fix that open gap that's in the center of the picture. This picture is looking up into the bottom of the A-pillar (dash on the right, door panel on the left).

Because it's the A-pillar, I don't have access from behind to do a removable mold like wax or something. But the gap is too big to do just filler. Should I fill it with foam or something and use that as a surface to lay the fiberglass cloth on?

Here's a sketched up picture with the gap circled.InkedIMG_20200605_214709 (1)_LI.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have to cut mine down in that area, but I have a sizable gap anyway. Not as big as yours, but too big just for filler. I was planning on making a mix with resin and torn apart fiber glass mat. I have had better luck with that holding things together in the past than I have with filler. Then you came back with a fiber glass resin filler to smooth it out (not just bondo).

6. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Ah, ok maybe my picture wasn't very clear. I'm away from the car for a few weeks so I can't take another picture, but I'm trying to fix that open gap that's in the center of the picture. This picture is looking up into the bottom of the A-pillar (dash on the right, door panel on the left).

Because it's the A-pillar, I don't have access from behind to do a removable mold like wax or something. But the gap is too big to do just filler. Should I fill it with foam or something and use that as a surface to lay the fiberglass cloth on?

Here's a sketched up picture with the gap circled.InkedIMG_20200605_214709 (1)_LI.jpg
    From best to pretty good I would:

Think about using 3m 8115 Panel Bonding Adhesive. Of course you would have to invest into the gun that mixes the two parts correctly, and fill in the cavity. If that's too much $ for you.

Think about mixing fiberglass mat with it's resin into a paste and stuff it up into the cavity. Or

Fiberglass reinforced body filler to fill in the cavity.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

8. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I've got some mat and resin that matches what FFR uses. I'll try to fill it using some torn apart mat since I have all the supplies and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Side note: I had notifications on for this thread and they didn't seem to work...Anyone else having issues with thread notifications?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was going to tackle that I’ll open up the gap to allow me to fill the gap better with 5/16 Divinycell foam and resin
    Leaving some of the foam stick out which it is easy to shape sand and glass over

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    Kitty hair.