Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Washington State Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Washington State Registration

Hello Pacific Northwest FFR owners.

I just escaped from the peoples republic of California and returned to my home state of Washington!

Will eventually need to register my roadster here and looking for advice from those who have gone before.
    My CA tag does not expire for almost a year so I will try and get away with putting off the change as long as possible but I would like to know the process, what to expect, and what not to do at the DMV office.

Current registration is under California SB100 which registers it as a 1965 vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Brien
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Washington.
    First off, I believe you need to register it within 2 weeks, just like drivers license(double check DOL to be sure, it's been about 35 years since I did mine here).
    You shouldn't have any issues with sales tax as you already own it.
    As to anything else, I can't speak on it as I haven't sent down that path yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 yrs ago when I move to Olympia from the bay area my GTM had a SB100 just go to DOL.
    the one in hawk prairie DOL is easy I was able to register a 65 mustang race car without a vin
    check note race car hadn't been registered in 30yrs. keep all of your SB100 tags on your car
    also request vintage plates and never pay fees again
    i just left Washington and moved to St George UT 2hrs east of vegas. I couldn't take the rain. ill be back in aug to salmon fish and crab and again in nov for elk. if you need a fishing or
    hunting guide let me know. GF is in Tumwater till the end of july then heading down

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Hopefully someone with recent experience will chime in for confirmation.

I believe the average Californian lasts two years before the rain drives them crazy so you did good! I grew up here and am re-acclimating quickly!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Washington, Brien.
    The state requires you to register within 30 days of moving here, and you won't have any tax due if you've had the car in another state for more than 90 days before your move. I did this about three year ago, with my Mk3 FFR Roadster, and DOL gave me a lot of unnecessary grief. You will get different answers from every DOL office. Don't ever say KIT car, or that opens up a whole new section of requirements, some mentioned need for air bags. I did need to take it to a State Police Inspection Station to have the VIN verified, they put on a sticker with an assigned VIN, not the stamped FFR number. I wanted to register as a 65 Shelby Cobra, since it's a replica, and since they wouldn't use FFR. After visiting two DOL office, the State Police Inspection, multiple letters to DOL Olympia and a few phone calls, the DOL Assistant Director called the local DOL and told them what to do. Mine is registered as a 65 Shelby Cobra, which qualifies for Collector Plates which never expire.
    I hope you have a better experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    th2244: I'm near Spokane and hope to be registering my Mk.4 soon. Did you get anything from the DOL I could use as an example to end up with a 1965 registration? My phone number is 509-991-8915 if you have any tips or advice. I also have a winter place in Arizona and I could register the car there if Washington is too difficult to deal with. I think that whichever state has the easier process will get my sales tax money. Arizona already has some advantage because they don't use a front license plate.
    427 Dart, Sniper, IRS, Mk IV complete, TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    SteveP: If you get it registered as a 1965 with collector plates, you will just get the back plate. Best part is you won't have to pay anymore on tabs����. Was great when I changed my 1986 944 over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Just what I was looking for! I've already obtained a nice vintage 1965 plate to put on the car. Just need to get on with it after this covid thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update.

Just left WA DOL this morning with a new temporary title (permanent to be mailed) and registration for a 1965 Shelby Cobra. (SHEB COBRA).

I went in trying to register it as a “custom” but the DOL lady said it would have to be inspected by WSP. She then suggested we register it as a Shelby Cobra to avoid the need for an inspection! I felt a little unsure about that, but if the DOL is suggesting it, who am I to argue?

Got my vintage 1963 plate with a 1965 tag installed and went for a nice long drive in this beautiful spring weather we are enjoying right now. Sunny and 75, doesn’t get much better! Never having to pay registration for it again is an added bonus!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is great that things worked out for you. Any pictures or video from your drive today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi D,

No, just so busy enjoying the drive didn’t even think about pulling out the camera!