Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mustang 2006 V6

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang 2006 V6

Hi! i'm new to this site and i don't know much about it but i have a tone of questions.
    i have a 2006 mustang V6 with a T5 tranny with about 35K miles on it. i finished paying it like a year ago so now i just dedicate my time to improve the hp in it.
    i been wanting to swap my V6 engine for a V8 GT. actually i found someone selling a 2008 mustang 3v GT engine complete with all the harness, with a T45 transmission and a new flywheel for 2000 USD so i was wondering what else would i need besides the drive shaft and the rear end from a GT. i know that my V6 is very similar to the V8 GT because my friend has one and we compared them and we noticed they are very similar.
    can any body help me please.

Post Thanks / Like
    We do tech for Factory Fives only. Maybe try a Mustang forum.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, the two engines are completly differant. IMO, it's a better engine overall than the 2000 V8. The V6 is 4.0L, and the V8 is 4.6L. Not much of a differance in size.

From the factory, the V6 is a bit detuned, so it doesn't compete with the V8. That can be fixed fairly easily - computer tune, GT muffler, and better intake and you're almost at the same power levels as the V8 fow well under $1,000. And you're in a lighter car with better balance.

Swapping a 6 for an 8 is a big deal. all the wiring and the computer is differant. As is the trans, diff, and brakes. You'll need to upgrade the cooling and fuel system. You'll need new shocks and springs to handle the weight. If you can get it done for <$4K, you'll be doing well. Also consider resale value. A car with a swapped engine isn't worth as much.

I had an '08 with a V6 and 5 speed. I really liked that car. I thought the engine was great and got good gas mileage. I seriously considered adding a turbocharger. An off the shelft kit wasn't that expensive, and would increase power to well over stock gt levels. Especially at high altitude where I live. If you're a decent shade tree mechanic you can do the install over a week end.

www.ststurbo.com
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Z View Post
    We do tech for Factory Fives only. Maybe try a Mustang forum.

Best regards,
    Mustang Collective is your best source for V6 performance info.

A bunch of the members have done the V8 swap, more of us are running MP80 blowers, centrifugals, and turbos.