Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  68
Likes Likes:  513
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gen1 kit, shipped late 2018. Hot rod insulation instructions were separate, I have digital copy, revB from 2015.
    http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/cont...insulation.pdf
    Piece was rectangular. Here's a snapshot from those separate instructions.
    insulation.jpg

Note in the instructions they say it's for the waterfall but this is where they show it in the pic.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

2. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I have a gen1 kit, shipped late 2018. Hot rod insulation instructions were separate, I have digital copy, revB from 2015.
    insulation.jpg

Note in the instructions they say it's for the waterfall but this is where they show it in the pic.

Steve
    Thanks Steve...yeah unfortunately there were no location instruction that I found (I checked all the boxes and nothing in the manual) which is fine, after about an hour of placing all the various pieces I figured it out. By process of elimination I came up with the exact sheet that you show.

I didn't like how that sheet however didn't cover the whole shelf and left portion of the tank with nothing under it so I grabbed similar material I have for my 55 F100 and filled in the whole shelf under the tank.

20200930_183829.jpg

20201001_045039.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    insulation.jpg

Steve
    I glued mine on the waterfall and then added some more where it did not cover it properly. Did not place anything under the tank other then some flat rubber isolators where the attachment points were. This winter I will be sealing off the waterfall better to buffer the exhaust sounds that you hear through the seatbelt slots. Most likely design and 3D print removable plugs to fill the space but just hold the straps.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

5. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I went with the hydraulic kit from modern driveline. Pretty sure they have a t5 setup similar to this. Very happy with it. I installed the cable first as well and immediately went with hydraulic. www.moderndriveline.com
    Tony, do you have a part number you could share with a few pics of your setup??
    Last edited by AJT '33; 10-01-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    Tony, do you have a part number you could share with a few pics of your setup??
    Yes...I'd like to know this too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Thanks Steve...yeah unfortunately there were no location instruction that I found (I checked all the boxes and nothing in the manual) which is fine...
    Yeah, there are extra AC, power windows, and insulation instructions on the web site (along with others!). Best thing to do when you get your kit is to download everything that is applicable so you have them on hand.... Note, the AC unit has now changed and the instructions along with it. If anyone has a gen1 kit and doesnt have the extra instructions I have a link for it (also appears in my build thread).

In the end, I didn't put that insulation piece under the tanks as my tank was already installed. I did exactly has Andreas outlined - put it on the waterfall and added more to get better coverage.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

9. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Likes theidlemind liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the problem is that the optimal approach is different depending on what makes your build unique. For example, I welded on running board supports and an extension in the back, so I ordered the chassis without powder coating. I also added several other custom features that aren't part of the FFR design. My plan is to build up the entire car, do some shakedown drives, then tear down the whole thing and get the chassis powder coated - maybe while the body is being painted. My goal is to work out any issues ahead of time and so avoid drilling any more holes in the frame after powder coating. Obviously, this approach is better for a car more on the "custom" end of the spectrum and is not recommended for everyone. If you are building a basic car without any changes to the kit, then a completely different build plan would probably be best, IMHO. Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel tank & accessories mounted, trunk hinges installed to be sure tank is centered between the hinges and the aluminum plate behind the tank temporarily installed

20201002_075510.jpg20201002_075455.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    From the CUSTOM side , you really need to work up your build first as much as possible because it gets harder to work in changes. Some things are hard to see ( as in some things or parts not working well together, or as seen in our mind ) and yes it is more money and work! But you end up with a one off car that came from your mind!

13. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Busy evening....got the front brakes assembled and ready to be plumbed. Also installed the inner foam (very hard, dense stuff) between the frame partitions for the floor and then drilled and hand riveted ~100 rivets into the floor. Glad that is done. Of course my pneumatic rivet gun started leaking fluid after the 4th rivet so I had to go back to manual; riveting.

20201002_162012.jpg

20201002_162033.jpg

20201002_201802.jpg

20201002_212404.jpg

15. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very little done on the car this weekend...I did get the insulation on the inside of the firewall over the sound deadener so I can start on the pedal box & steering column next.

I spent most of the weekend doing winter prep outside (building a shed, filling the shed with patio furniture, cutting down flowers, bushes, other landscaping, trimming trees and of course picking up leaves). Next weekend (shouldn't be the whole weekend) I need to finish up outside.

I needed to set the right example for my kids who are older now. Their whole lives I've harped on them that chores come before fun stuff so as much as I would have loved to work on the car all weekend long I figured I'd look like a hypocrite if I did that verses my chores.

20201003_051317.jpg

20201003_163723.jpg

17. Likes RoadRacer, JimLev, FF33rod, j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing that you probably have a Gen 2 kit so this part should be the same as my Gen 1 kit.
    Where the body meets the back side of the firewall you'll need to trim off the foam sound deadening material so the body fits flush to the aluminum firewall.
    Easier to do it now than later when you have a lot of parts mounted behind the firewall.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

19. Likes FF33rod, AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I'm guessing that you probably have a Gen 2 kit so this part should be the same as my Gen 1 kit.
    Where the body meets the back side of the firewall you'll need to trim off the foam sound deadening material so the body fits flush to the aluminum firewall.
    Easier to do it now than later when you have a lot of parts mounted behind the firewall.
    Thanks for the heads up Jim, do you remember how much needs to be trimmed off? 1/2".... less...more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up Jim, do you remember how much needs to be trimmed off? 1/2".... less...more?
    good tip from Jim, you can actually measure the amount - go over to the body and measure the "flange" around the firewall area. I think it's more than 1/2" probably around 3/4

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

22. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    good tip from Jim, you can actually measure the amount - go over to the body and measure the "flange" around the firewall area. I think it's more than 1/2" probably around 3/4

Steve
    Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with RoadRacer, I installed the clutch cable and will be replacing the cable with a hydraulic system from Mike Forte (https://fortesparts.com/product/fort...ic-clutch-kit/) or similar system (https://www.moderndriveline.com/shop...pAtArlaQLehxac). My opinion is that due to the tight 180 degree bend the cable does not slide in the sleeve as easily and cleanly as it should, would not recommend the cable, should have gone with the hydraulic or hydraulic assist.
    Attachment 135781 You can see it coming out of the firewall and looping back, its not a straight shot.

As always, HAVE FUN!!
    Just got off the phone with Mike Forte, nice guy. I asked if the kit in the link provided by AJT '33 (TKO-600 Hydraulic Clutch Kit https://fortesparts.com/product/fort...ic-clutch-kit/ ) will fit my T5 and Mike said nope, you'll need a different bracket. I asked if there was a part number for the kit with the bracket I needed and he said no, he just pieces it together and it will be the same price as the TKO-660 kit so he took my information, I gave him my CC info and it will ship tomorrow.

The kit like the one for the TKO-600 comes with master cylinder, slave cylinder, push rods, fork, bracket, HW & hoses, I just need to drill two holes in the bell housing.

Should be here by the end if the week.

To everyone who changed my mind about the clutch cable, Thanks much, I appreciate you sharing your experiences and providing a better solution.
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 10-06-2020 at 05:04 AM.

25. Likes RoadRacer, FF33rod, AJT '33, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with Mike Forte, nice guy. I asked if the kit in the link provided by AJT '33 (TKO-600 Hydraulic Clutch Kit https://fortesparts.com/product/fort...ic-clutch-kit/ ) will fit my T5 and Mike said nope, you'll need a different bracket. I asked if there was a part number for the kit with the bracket I needed and he said no, he just pieces it together and it will be the same price as the TKO-660 kit so he took my information, I gave him my CC info and it will ship tomorrow.

The kit like the one for the TKO-600 comes with master cylinder, slave cylinder, push rods, fork, bracket, HW & hoses, I just need to drill two holes in the bell housing.

Should be here by the end if the week.

To everyone who changed my mind about the clutch cable, Thanks much, I appreciate you sharing your experiences and providing a better solution.
    Now we will be looking to you to see how it installed so we can make our lives easier to install as well. As I have a TKO600 I would expect that his base kit will install easily. Following!
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Now we will be looking to you to see how it installed so we can make our lives easier to install as well. As I have a TKO600 I would expect that his base kit will install easily. Following!
    Once I receive it, I'll provide pics and any instructions / learnings as I got through it.

28. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the Willwood pedal box, brake master cylinders and brake reservoir installed last night. plumbed the reservoir side of the brake system.

I still need to plumb the brake lines. I'll wait on this though until my upper control arms for the rear 4-link suspension arrive so I can install the differential and brakes.

Still need to install the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch kit when it arrives from Mike Forte.

20201006_195010.jpg

20201006_195022.jpg

20201006_195045.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the Willwood pedal box, brake master cylinders and brake reservoir installed last night. plumbed the reservoir side of the brake system.

I still need to plumb the brake lines. I'll wait on this though until my upper control arms for the rear 4-link suspension arrive so I can install the differential and brakes.

Still need to install the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch kit when it arrives from Mike Forte.

20201006_195045.jpg
    You may want to keep in mind the location of the reservoir if your running with a hood to ensure that there is no interferences. Typically I suggest that anything in the area of the hood pins be left off until the hood is installed and the pins located otherwise you may be relocating the reservoir and having holes to fill. Just a thought.
    20200222_210828.jpg
    Last edited by AJT '33; 10-07-2020 at 07:02 AM.
    Andreas

31. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to keep in mind the location of the reservoir if your running with a hood to ensure that there is no interferences. Typically I suggest that anything in the area of the hood pins be left off until the hood is installed and the pins located otherwise you may be relocating the reservoir and having holes to fill. Just a thought.
    20200222_210828.jpg
    Thanks AJT '33.... I spent quite a bit of time looking at the body / hood to try to get a location that wouldn't interfere. I's actually mounted right on the same location the hole for the clutch cable would have gone so I figured if the bulky clutch cable didn't interfere the reservoir shouldn't either, but I'll definitely check everything again before getting too far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I order the steering column unfinished since I was going to either paint it black, or the body color verses the chromed version option but like I did with the front suspension this thing buffed up so nice that I just sprayed clear on it so it retains the machine finish while not having to worry about it rusting.

20201007_092844.jpg
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 10-07-2020 at 09:46 AM.

34. Likes TxMike64, AJT '33, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks AJT '33.... I spent quite a bit of time looking at the body / hood to try to get a location that wouldn't interfere. I's actually mounted right on the same location the hole for the clutch cable would have gone so I figured if the bulky clutch cable didn't interfere the reservoir shouldn't either, but I'll definitely check everything again before getting too far.
    I was thinking the same as Andreas but then realized, looks like you have the gen 2 - I believe the new hood arrangement deletes the pins so you shouldn't have to worry. Keep the middle of the firewall clear though for the latch mechanism.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

36. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same as Andreas but then realized, looks like you have the gen 2 - I believe the new hood arrangement deletes the pins so you shouldn't have to worry. Keep the middle of the firewall clear though for the latch mechanism.

Steve
    Yes, I have the Gen2...Thanks Steve

38. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress, you and I are both building 302 with T5. Subscribed.
    33 Hot Rod with Deluxe Grill (32) Hood & sides, Bike Fenders, Hard Top, AC, Power Windows, Electric Power Steering, 306 Ford Small Block - roller cam, aluminum heads, Eldenbrock intake & carb, T5, Moser 3 link, Arrived 5/6/20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by e36m3 View Post
    Great progress, you and I are both building 302 with T5. Subscribed.
    Awesome...hope things are going well on your end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the steering rack housing itself, but did any of you find the "center" of the rack before attaching the tie rods to the spindles and completing the steering rod joints.

I've seen a lot of post for this on the MK4 but I didn't see any for the 33 HR...wondering if anyone centered their rack on their 33 HR and if yes, what procedure did you follow?

Thanks

Adding the procedure I'm used to doing on other racks...wondering why this wouldn't work...I do it installed in the car by the way verses on a bench

On a bench, turn the pinion out to lock one way. Measure from a convenient point to the end of the inner tie rod. (This rack was 17 3⁄4). Turn the pinion of the opposite lock position and measure from the same point to the end of the same tie rod (11 3⁄4). 17 3⁄4 minus 11 3⁄4 = 6. Divided by 2 = 3 Add that number to the smallest measurement (11 3⁄4” + 3” = 14 3⁄4”) and turn the pinion back till you get that measurement and your rack is centered.

20201008_171410.jpg
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 10-08-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Process was count the number of turns lock to lock. Now put it in the center (by moving half the turns) and mount the steering wheel so it's centered. Adjust tie rods accordingly....
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ran out to the garage real quick to do this, and on the 33 HR I measured it on the driver's side from the end of the threaded tie rod shaft to the metal lip on the rack housing where the edge of the boot meets.

Turning all the way out to the stop I measure 15.5", turning all the way in to the other stop, I measure 11", so the difference is 4.5"; half of which is 2.25" so adding 2.25" to 11" that's 13.25" so I turn the rack until i measure 13.25 at my reference point and low and behold the notch in the steering shaft is pointing up to where it was when I started. I guess it was centered from the factory.
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 10-08-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Process was count the number of turns lock to lock. Now put it in the center (by moving half the turns) and mount the steering wheel so it's centered. Adjust tie rods accordingly....
    Did it this way too.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Did it this way too.
    Thanks All, I appreciate the input on the steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the steering shafts routed, and tightened up. The steering is nice and smooth with no tightness.

A lot of weird angles though in all the shafts, whoever designed this must of liked working with erector sets as a kid. Also got the tie rods loosely installed. Once I get the wheels I'll install them and try to get the toe as close as I can and then torque down the tie rods.

I'll be removing the steering wheel and storing it so it doesn't get damaged, I just wanted to make sure the steering was smooth using the wheel.

20201009_085915.jpg

20201009_085922.jpg

20201009_085935.jpg

20201009_085941.jpg

20201009_085952.jpg

20201009_090004.jpg

20201009_090017.jpg

47. Likes FF33rod, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest dimpling the rods (steering rods) where the set screws hit just a bit with a drill and then of course on final fit-up, some red loctite. These connections I regularly check with maintenance and have found them loose once (even with the aforementioned precautions).

Nice job!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    I suggest dimpling the rods (steering rods) where the set screws hit just a bit with a drill and then of course on final fit-up, some red loctite. These connections I regularly check with maintenance and have found them loose once (even with the aforementioned precautions).

Nice job!
    Already one-step ahead....once I figured out the positioning I dimpled them and I added red loctite, but I absolutely appreciate the advice / heads up.

I will definitely add checking connections to my regular maintenance routine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of stuff done today:

* Installed hydraulic clutch M/C
    * Plumbed hydraulic clutch reservoir
    * Fitted engine mounts
    * fitted transmission mount
    * installed engine ground strap on frame
    * plumbed fuel line

20201011_053906.jpg

20201011_060701.jpg

20201011_060957.jpg

20201011_070300.jpg

20201011_070309.jpg

20201011_070322.jpg

20201011_100949.jpg

20201011_102136.jpg

20201011_105238.jpg

20201011_145611.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    More pics.... waiting on some AN-fittings to finish plumbing the fuel pump.

20201011_145634.jpg

20201011_145646.jpg

20201011_145708.jpg

20201011_145718.jpg

20201011_150157.jpg

20201011_153507.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice.

Just want to remind you to take the brake lines as tight (and as horizontal as poss, less vertical) as you can coming out of the master cylinders. I didn't have my body and didn't put enough thought into it.. but the gauges may be right in the same space as these brake lines, if you want to see them through steering wheel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2020-10-11 16.24.06.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

53. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Very nice.

Just want to remind you to take the brake lines as tight (and as horizontal as poss, less vertical) as you can coming out of the master cylinders. I didn't have my body and didn't put enough thought into it.. but the gauges may be right in the same space as these brake lines, if you want to see them through steering wheel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2020-10-11 16.24.06.jpg
    Thanks for the heads up on the brake lines...I appreciate the insight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    .. but the gauges may be right in the same space as these brake lines, if you want to see them through steering wheel. 2020-10-11 16.24.06.jpg
    I've got a Gen 1 Hot Rod and the kit included Master Cylinders that are slightly different style from those shown in your photos. I have a Dakota Digital instrument cluster that I want to center over the steering column. I found that there is no space behind the dashboard to recess the cluster. If you are using individual instruments it may be possible to install them above the MC, but maybe then they will be out of your line of sight. The solution I'm investigating now is the Whitby power brake system - it eliminates the MC in the pedal box entirely. I'm not sure yet if the Whitby booster will fit with my Coyote engine, but I doubt that would be an issue with your SBC. Of course, you can always install the instruments in the "stock" position, centered over the transmission tunnel, and avoid the issue altogether. Keith HR #894

56. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I've got a Gen 1 Hot Rod and the kit included Master Cylinders that are slightly different style from those shown in your photos. I have a Dakota Digital instrument cluster that I want to center over the steering column. I found that there is no space behind the dashboard to recess the cluster. If you are using individual instruments it may be possible to install them above the MC, but maybe then they will be out of your line of sight. The solution I'm investigating now is the Whitby power brake system - it eliminates the MC in the pedal box entirely. I'm not sure yet if the Whitby booster will fit with my Coyote engine, but I doubt that would be an issue with your SBC. Of course, you can always install the instruments in the "stock" position, centered over the transmission tunnel, and avoid the issue altogether. Keith HR #894
    Thanks Keith....I too went with the Dakota Digital Instrument cluster but I haven't given a lot of thought where I'm going to place it yet (stock or other). I'll look into the Whitby power brake system. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast