Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: Rob's Austin 427 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rear Brake Lines

Had some time today to work on the rear brake lines a little more. Was able to get the lines run from the master cylinder all the way to each rear brake caliper. Feels good to get that checked off list. I'm not the best at bending the brake lines, even with a tubing bender and practicing on a metal hanger, but overall I think it came out ok. Definitely open to any suggestions before we tackle the front hard brake lines and the fuel lines on how to improve our process.

Here's our progress

Rear brake master cylinder

Rear brake line coming down inside of the DS footbox. I did this after seeing that there was some concern about heat from the exhaust with the line run down the outside of the footbox. I also noticed that several others had done this or if they were to do it again would have done it this way. Hopefully this is ok.

Rear brake line under DS seat and footbox

Rear hard brake line to flexible line connect on DS

DS brake line starting up and over to PS

I ran the brake line under the trunk towards the front/ just behind the rear cockpit wall because we are going with the FFmetals battery relocate box in the upper trunk. If I would have run the line from the drivers side over to the passenger's side along the 3/4" frame rail where the trunk drops from the upper section to the lower section, per the instructions, we would have had to redo it. Fortunately I think it can stay where it is.

PS side rear brake hard line connection over from the drivers side

PS side flexible line connection from the hard line to the caliper

I have not secured the lines to the frame yet. If anyone sees anything of concern, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Mark IV Complete kit delivered 7/7/20
    Blueprint 427 ordered 11/23/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas98 View Post
    Quick question as I have noticed a few people doing this on the brake lines; is there a reason for the "corkscrew" effect as opposed to cutting and re-flaring. Noticed a few people doing this now and I am about to start the brake lines myself.
    rthomas98 - as BadAsp427 noted, I coiled my lines because I didn't want to cut them and re-flare them. It's not difficult but does require a bit of patience(doesn't each area require that?) One helpful tip would be to try to practice on a wire hanger or an extra piece of hard line if you have it. I also used the wire hanger to trace out the path I wanted before working with the hard lines. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
    Mark IV Complete kit delivered 7/7/20
    Blueprint 427 ordered 11/23/20