Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: To Grease Or Not To Grease

Post Thanks / Like

To Grease Or Not To Grease

As i have gone through the build process, I often second guess whether or not I did something right or not. This may be a series of dumb questions so please bear with me.

Was I supposed to put grease on the spindle shaft before I pushed on the hub? If so, what type of grease should i use and are my spindle hub nuts no good, due to the fact I already torqued them down? I also noticed that there is quite a bit of drag on the hub when it is torqued, is this normal?

I also have had a hard time getting my torque wrench on the ball joint castle nuts, any solutions? I have noticed that the hole for the cotter pin is well above the notches in the nut when torqued down, is this a problem? Any tricks on how to prevent the spindle from spinning around while torquing?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by esff32; 09-03-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me address your questions one at a time, but some answers will be questions. First, what spindles are we talking about and what hubs? If your spindles are FFR provided they should be a unit bearing type. In that case you do not need grease on the spindle as the bearing/bearings are a sealed unit. Next, the castle nut will most likely need a washer on top of the shaft before the nut is tightened down to allow the cotter pin to lock in the/a slot. Last, the best way to get the torque applied to the spindle nut is to have the suspension all in place with the wheels on the ground and then things don't move around as much. If you need a hand or just a second pair of eyes, give me the word and I can come over. I'm just 2 towns over in Upland.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank. I appreciate the info, i just may give you a call. If you PM you contact info, I would love to get to know a local FFR owner. Thanks again.