Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geoff's 33 Hot Rod Build - #0037

Post Thanks / Like

Geoff's 33 Hot Rod Build - #0037

Some build history from Jan 09

I think technically we can say I'm in transition from Prep mode to build mode!!!

We had a few things come together this morning that make it a red letter day. I had most of the major assemblies for the car for awhile but decided the built 8.8 (spare for my Mach1) rear was overkill. So I sold it a few weeks ago to a friend and used the money for a few other items and a complete with brakes stock Mach1 take out rear. The rear will be here next week via freight and that was the last big part I needed. :yes:

So where is my FFR 33 Hot Rod today???????????????

It's in one of the things below ------------ as of this morning 1/10/09!!!

Last edited by geoffav; 02-15-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Engine

The engine came from a 2003 Mach1 that was totalled with 2900 miles. It has been sitting for years awaiting install in a 66 Mustang vert belonging to a friend. He got stalled building a 66 2+2 with a Ford V10!!!! I'll get pics later when he let's me.

It will have bolt-ons only. All the internals should be fine for the 33. It will have AC to drive and a vacuum evac pump in place of the PS. The evenflo cooling mod will be installed along with an EMP water pump. The oil filter housing will be replaced with a FRPP unit using a remote filter. I have a canton 7qt pan and some additional engine dress up parts.

Induction will be a KarKraft adaptor to a 289 intake with a Holley 2barrel ???

OR

VCP's Stack intake with the tall stacks, WHICHEVER looks better :lol::lol::lol:

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission is also a Mach1 take out from an 04. Standard TR-3650 but because it came from the Mach1 it will have a .62 overdrive, not the standard GT .68 OD.

I'll use my normal mix of Mercon V ATF (fixed - changed from Mobil 1) and Lucas Tranny Fix to keep it lubricated and quiet. The shifter is stock but I have a few short throw assemblies available. My first choice would be the MGW but it won't bolt up to the handle I want to use.

I have an old Hurst Ram-rod (vertical gate) shifter handle that seems to bolt on. It would still work normal but look wild. The other option is some old NASCAR handles and knobs. The UPR handle on it now would look OK too with the right knob and a boot that just covers the hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still working on colors using a model. The wheels are pretty close to right, I need to make the centers natural or anthracite to match the real car. Obviously the engine is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked up some shorty headers for the car. I used these on my previous Mach1 and they were awesome. JBA Titanium coated and in great shape. I'm still not convinced these will be used but even if I go a different way they fit my 03 Mach1. I paid less than half the street price new, these sell for $680 to 800.

Pic installed on a friends Mach1

Mine

The only damage except needing a clean up

Post Thanks / Like
    We got to the shop at 7:59 ish and yes there was a surprise!!!

The truck got there at 7:38 and Wayne already had the car and boxes loaded in his 16 foot trailer. We still got pics of FFRHR#37 and some of the shop, it was VERY cold for AL so we didn't hang out too long.

Here's a few pics, I have more coming later. The whole operation was complete BEFORE 9:30am. :worship:

I have some great friends to thank:
    Wayne - owner of VCP and my FFR mentor
    Don Doherty - M1R member and my hot rod mentor
    Barrie - WCC club member
    Frank - WCC Pres
    and as always the family

Stewart Trans truck at VCP

It don't look like $20K ?????

Unloading at my place, "stack it here guys"

Post Thanks / Like

Experimental intake on the motor????

Post Thanks / Like
    from 19 Jan 09

I'm having a blast!!! I have the inventory complete and everything was exactly as indicated on the sheets............... except:

Doors were not on the BO list and not on the car??

I had a visit from Wayne and Erik Treves yesterday evening to see how I was doing. It's great to have so many experienced hands standing by when I need help. Marking panels and a few other things today and the body comes off.

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress with getting things stored out of the way and getting some panels marked. I thought my ebay/for sale box would be full but there will only be a few items that get upgraded. So far it's just the overflow tank, all of the gauges, and the front rotors/pads.

Pics below:

I think everyone got a chance to make engine noises and grin so I finally stored the seats in a safe place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't have anything planned for the car today but still managed to unpack and store some backorders that came in ..................... and stole a few minutes to build the shocks.

I have a mock up AC/heat/defog unit coming soon. I sent a sketch to a friend that does CNC work for a glove box, center gauge bezel, driver gauge bezel, and bezel for the retractable license plate mount.

The plan now is:

tach on the column
    driver bezel will have speedO, fuel gauge, and all switches
    Center bezel will have water temp, oil pressure, volts, and A/F (WB)

The glove box is 1.25 inch deep with AC controls, wireless audio controls, and the navigation system inside, no room for gloves. The radio antenna was planned for the underbody forward of trunk but will not be used now. The GPS/Sat radio antenna will be installed in the inspection panel opposite the brake reservoir panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some medical stuff to do today but made time to go pickup my battery. The guy I bought it from is someone I trust so I had already given him the money. As it turned out the battery was older than he remembered but it had never been installed. I used it to start my Mustang today so it seems fine. He felt bad about it being older and insisted I take $20 back. hmy:

I have a perfectly good Optima Blue Top for $40, not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked on the firewall today and had to trim the passenger top a fair amount. Seems like everyone should just plan on doing the same. I played with some things but it just had to be done, I didn't measure how much I filed off but it was more than I expected. At least 1/8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update from this weekend I did some trimming, marking, drilling, grinding, primering, and painting. :icon18:

Post Thanks / Like
    My rear is almost done getting painted and detailed. The Cover is being airbrushed and I'll post pics of it installed, if it looks good. If it sux I'll post some pics of it hanging on the wall. :scared:

Everything else is waiting for the rear. I still have plenty to do in other places.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have to work some welds to get the RS upper control arm to fit right. So far stuff I thought would fit perfect does not and the things I know need work just fall together. :001_huh:

on the nut side

on the bushing side

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting close to being on the wheels up front. The rear is progressing too.

I was not happy with the upper ball joint seals and I still need to tighten some things. I didn't notice my socket for the hub nut was 3/4 drive so it will be tomorrow before that job is done. I worked out the welds and it looks like the alignment won't be too pretty until I make some more progress.

I also had to grind 3 flats off the big lock nut on the rack, lucky me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a beauty and the beast thing going on with my brakes. The rears will be up to standard before the Daytona 500 is over. :yes:

The ugly rears

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a little bit done today before the weather came in. I lost an hour to working on my Jeep.

I know what I hate about this steering wheel now, the front side is ugly.

The battery may have to go here or in the Mach1 and I buy a small one.

Post Thanks / Like
    It took about 3 hours to final drill and tap all the firewall and footbox screws (nearly 100). I originally planned to use rivets so the holes were spaced closer than what is needed for 1/4 20 screws. At least I'm done. Some where a real PITA to get in straight but it just takes time and the right tools.

Because I'm changing engines after about a year (maybe) I thought it would really help to be able to easily remove and rework the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some minor progress, I'm in school for the next two weeks so that may slow me up some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too bad today. I still had classes but managed to get in the shop for about 90 minutes. I ordered some parts from KarKraft and finally cheated and got the rear tires to touch the ground. The front will be on the deck by Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    First day on 4 wheels :w00t:

Post Thanks / Like
    My new steering wheel:

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much new but I did test fit some stuff to the firewall and have to wait on the right adapter for my shift knob. The packing list reads M12x1.75 but the enclosed M12 is clearly a finer thread. They will send out the right one tomorrow.

My oil filter housing is on hold. I see where I want it but until the engine gets installed no holes will be drilled. hmy:

Post Thanks / Like
    Transmission got cleaned up today. 99% of the flashing is gone and most of the seam lines are flush. Then some paint.

Primer

Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    They won't look this way long. The parting lines will be crisp and the shiny areas will be brighter. I need to dig out the pretty plugs and hardware for the girdle. This will just about finish the rearend.

The water and oil filter adapter is a Ford part but not the Explorer adapter which allows the filter to spin on. I will use a remote Moon filter. :001_cool:

Post Thanks / Like
    A few more oz's of fluid and the rear is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my fuel tank today. yeah

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine paint is finished except the oil pan and intake install. The alternator and compressor are all cleaned up but have to wait until after the engine is installed. I have to strip the paint above the headers if I decide to then bolt up the clutch and tranny.

The intake will attract most of the attention anyway. :worship: The pan is just as pretty as the intake but will be hard to see. It's still getting polished and zooped.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last few days have been a waste for working on the hot rod. Tonight I did get some stuff set up for tomorrow and the weekend. I have about 3 hours of finishing up old items that needed parts or rework then I can make some progress. I am running a Mustang Cruise In on Saturday so I will have to detail the Mach1 and pack up the club equipment. After that I will have off until mid day Tuesday.

I might have the engine with intake installed before the end of May. I did get the cooling system parts in and will install the gauge sending unit fitting in the PS freeze plug tomorrow. I have plenty of options for the APS mod after I see what looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    While working on some little stuff I did get some big items bolted together. Some items will obviously have to come back off. The clutch looks old but it came out of a 2004 Cobra with about 600 miles on the clock. I can live with the surface rust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got something from FFR with MY name on it.

I'm overdue for some quality time in the shop like I got yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The shafts after cutting and the scrap. I decided to sneak up on it so I actually measured like 4 times and cut twice. :yes:

Now I can't wait to get the firewall parts to the painter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a bunch of small detail things done today. I put in over 7 hours on just the car and it was a great day.

The firewall is in permanent but the finish sux compared to what I had planned. It's a shame the heat gets to the metallic paint I was using. The sealant will be cleaned up tomorrow when the steering goes in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have plumbing and many other things to do ................... but it still looks awesome. Base manifold will be krinkle black, natural TB's, and polished stacks/rails.

I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine is in.

Post Thanks / Like
    My son had to try it on. :001_cool:

Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly more progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish there was more progress to report but everything I've done recently seems like I'm standing still. I have painted parts, touched up previous work, and added some shine to a few things. The electrical items I plan to add have arrived and now the AC seems like something I might be able to do without according to the wife. After riding around in a roadster today between showers, I might be the one insisting on AC now.

The intake will get some polish in the next few weeks. I have some items that need to be Zoop sealed now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast