BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hood gas support struts.

Post Thanks / Like

Hood gas support struts.

Hello All- The gas hood struts on my Mk3 have given out. They are 20 lb. pressure. I am having trouble finding new ones through my usual parts sources. Does anyone know a Canadian supplier for these. I would rather not pay US prices and shipping if possible.
    Thanks,
    Ian.
    P.S.- I can get 30 pounders locally. Does anyone know for sure they are not too strong? I am concerned about the hood deforming when closed.
    Last edited by Ian G; 08-06-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Ian G

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you order from McMaster-Carr in Canada?
    Part number 9416K18
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in the same position a few months ago. Got a pair off ebay. Was the best option I could find after much searching. They did come from USA, but after exchange, shipping, etc. was still the best I could find.

4. Likes Ian G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can’t order from McMaster-Carr in Canada, unfortunately. Tried several times. They won’t accept a Canadian credit card so couldn’t even order and ship to Niagara Falls, NY and pick up there.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look to the marine stores like the Chandlery in Ottawa (www.thechandleryonline.com) or others elsewhere. There are a very wide assortment and if they don't have it listed on their website, then call or email them and they can source it for you.
    Here is the link, you need to choose the length and pressure: https://www.thechandleryonline.com/a...16&search.y=13
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    For a follow-up to the opening post, I was able to get the proper replacement struts through Amazon.ca. Same part number, pressure, and all.
    Ian G