Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Thread sealer that resists brake fluid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a fan of Henkel products so I use the LocTite thread sealer on NPT brake fittings. I like the stick form as it's more convenient but the paste works well too.

DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE ON ANYTHING AUTOMOTIVE OR HYDRAULIC. Leave Teflon tape to the plumbers.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    I'm a fan of Henkel products so I use the LocTite thread sealer on NPT brake fittings. I like the stick form as it's more convenient but the paste works well too.

DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE ON ANYTHING AUTOMOTIVE OR HYDRAULIC. Leave Teflon tape to the plumbers.
    That's funny! I've been using tape only for over 40yrs and never had any issues. I've never tried any paste, but only because tape has always been fine. Maybe technique is involved?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Briansshop View Post
    That's funny! I've been using tape only for over 40yrs and never had any issues. I've never tried any paste, but only because tape has always been fine. Maybe technique is involved?
    If that works for you I happy for you. However, you should be aware that yes there is a technique to wrapping that nasty stuff as it is directional. Teflon tape is not a "sealant" and really only lubricates the threads. Works great for PVC water lines if there are no small orifices in the system. The problem with the tape is most don't know how to properly apply it and even when it is properly applied it can still shear and introduce small stringy pieces into the system that can clog small passages.

I've used Teflon tape a lot in my early career and have seen the failures and problems it creates. Enough so that I have learned it has no pace in automotive or hydraulic systems -- there are many superior products that actually are "thread sealants".

If you're happy with the tape, good for you. For those that want to learn more about thread sealants, start your education here and keep searching the internet for more on the subject: https://www.plantengineering.com/art...hread-sealant/
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    ...you should be aware that yes there is a technique...
    I'm aware,my comment was a jab at sarcasm.