Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Frank's 8.5x20 trailer build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Frank's 8.5x20 trailer build thread

Can I make a trailer build thread? Maybe that's silly, but I'm building out a boring enclosed to be a budget toy-hauler.

It's a 2019 Spartan 8.5x20, 5.2k axles (trailer weighs ~3,200, so it gives me 7,200 to play with, which is right up against my truck's limit of 10,900 of a trailer), rubber flooring.

Wants:
    • Gray
    • 5.2 torsion axles
    • insulation
    • Painted interior
    • AC
    • electrical
    • e track on wall and maybe floor
    • Work bench/tool box

Not gonna get the exterior color, but I think I can do the rest myself.

Put in quite a few hours (in the heat of summer) tearing the walls down, labeling them, painting them, moving them all over the place. I got a test piece of insulation and some e track. Gonna have a friend help me weld the e track to the frame and insulate the walls. Babbling Brook is the color, part of our home palette.

Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 11-05-2022 at 03:14 PM.
    Frank - Build thread

2. Likes ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So... What are your plans for the inside? Are you adding "living space"? Aircompressor? Be sure and add 12v lights with it the power plans, What else, .........?

See if this can be moved to the other build threads section? I am thinking of a other buld thread when building my shop..... Maybe not!?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    So... What are your plans for the inside? Are you adding "living space"? Aircompressor? Be sure and add 12v lights with it the power plans, What else, .........?

See if this can be moved to the other build threads section? I am thinking of a other buld thread when building my shop..... Maybe not!?
    a shop build thread would be really cool!

semi livable inside would be nice. We'll be camping out of it for 1 week in October as we support friends bicycle riding ~300 miles, so at least nice enough for that. And of course, weekend track duty!

I had a friend weld in e-track. I could only find it galvanized, and you don't weld galvanized metal. So I used a flap disk and ground away all of the spots he welded ahead of time. Went excellent, and passed the hammock test quite nicely (almost turned into a nap!)

Since the e-track is in the middle of a board, I had to cut it. Just a circular saw with an edge guide, so it's far from perfect, but looks pretty good!

I'm probably 25-30 hours into stripping the walls, insulating, and putting them back up so far. I took a day off work to push it a little farther and did a lot yesterday. Really coming together! It's 1" foam insulation, used the trailer to pick up 4'x8' sheets for $18.xx a pop. I bought 10, used 6.5 for the walls, and can do much of the ceiling with the rest.

I have no vent cover yet, so this is my vent cover:

and since the 818 overheated (coolant bubble....I know, I need Wayne's mod!), I got to impromptu test the trailer out! Definitely needs Race Ramps.
    Frank - Build thread

5. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The trailer is for sale (price is ambitious, open to offers!), located in Asheville NC

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...24228705893912
    Frank - Build thread