FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie - Looking to buy and have some basic questions

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Newbie - Looking to buy and have some basic questions

Hello!

I am extremely interested in ordering the FF '33 and would appreciate the community's opinion on a few things:

1) What is the overall typical cost to get the car up and running. I realize that this answer varies on what types of additions you add, but is there a minimum dollar amount one should expect to pay over the cost of the kit?

2) I am from California and need to get some information as to what it takes to make this car street legal and registered. I have heard that the DMV issues only a few "kit car" titles every year, but not sure if this is true or simply a rumor. Anyone have any tips on where I can get information on this?

3) What is the difficulty level of building this kit compared to the the roadster and the coupe?

4) How is the fit and finish on this kit compared to the coupe and roadster?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    See my responses below (I had to type something on top, the forum said the post was too short otherwise??)

Quote Originally Posted by Superchargeds2k View Post
    Hello!

I am extremely interested in ordering the FF '33 and would appreciate the community's opinion on a few things:

1) What is the overall typical cost to get the car up and running. I realize that this answer varies on what types of additions you add, but is there a minimum dollar amount one should expect to pay over the cost of the kit?

Largely depends on how much HP you want, how much you can do yourself and what quality level you want when it's done. Do you want a show car or a driver that you can take to the track?

The range for building seems to be anywhere from $10K-$50K in addition to the kit. I'm probably around $15K, but I did everything myself including the engine, body and paint. I'm around $15K:

Kit + Sales tax $21,710

Donor Parts $850

Rear Brakes and upgrades $650

Bodywork and paint $3,900

A/C and interior upgrades $1,110

Wheels and tires $1,500

Engine and EFI $3,430

Misc upgrade (taillights, rear exhaust) $715

2) I am from California and need to get some information as to what it takes to make this car street legal and registered. I have heard that the DMV issues only a few "kit car" titles every year, but not sure if this is true or simply a rumor. Anyone have any tips on where I can get information on this?

I'm sure some CA owners will chime in.

3) What is the difficulty level of building this kit compared to the roadster and the coupe?

Haven't built either, but talking with other builders there are more body panels to fit with the '33, esp if you go full fendered and a hard top. I think the chassis are pretty similar as a far as build difficulty although the hot rod had less aluminum panels to rivet I believe.

4) How is the fit and finish on this kit compared to the coupe and roadster?

Again depends on the skill level of the builder and what your goals are. The panels need to be trimmed to fit anyway. All the cars are fiberglass so they will require filler work if you want a wave free finish.

Any information is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, I sent you a PM, just check it out and let me know if you have questions.