FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Why not a Honda Civic Donor???

Post Thanks / Like

Why not a Honda Civic Donor???

Millions on the road, various engine combos, tune levels, many aftermarket tune optiions and it will produce 250 hp with a honda 2500 engine.. naturally aspirated.. WXRs are RARE compared to civic SIs.

Would seem to me that either donor would present about the same challenges... BUT, im not a ricer expert.

earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl brings up a valid suggestion. I 've had some great fun with a turbo 1.6l Honda.

I think that the major benefit of the boxer Subi is the lower center of gravity.

The power delivery characteristics are vastly different between the two engines. Having had both, I would actually have to give the nod to the Honda for a power plant in a sub 2000 lb car. Less bottom end torque and much higher reving. I would also have to be inclined to agree that availability might be better.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there is the Ariel Atom already...

If we're going to play the why not game, then why not a Hayabusa, or strike a deal with those dudes that make V8 motors from Hayabusa engines?

Or more seriously, why not AWD? I feel like that was the biggest thing missing from the GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the AWD question, how many mid-engine AWD cars are out there not made by Lamborghini?
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Because nothing but a V8 can compare with the noise of an H-4 pounding out its tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm curouis about WRX availability and Cost.

At the total estimated build price point it has really gained my attention for a possible next future build. Availability? Availability at less than $6K?? Still the $15k really has me interested. I should stop day dreaming and get to building..........
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    WRX' are pretty expensive even with totalled... I've a number of friends in the rally community and they say these are very hard to come by...
    Regards - Randy
    Racecar Fab/Support
    GT40 331 - Weber IDAs, G50 5spd
    69 Camaro SS 4spd
    2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid - 44.2 MPG daily driver
    2002 Avalanche 2500 - Avian Target
    My GT-40 Build Site: http://www.GT-FORTY.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of a dealer that sells used 2006-2007 WRX's for $13k-$17k with reconstructed titles... probably too good to be cut up, but maybe a bit sketchy for a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan G View Post
    Because nothing but a V8 can compare with the noise of an H-4 pounding out its tune.
    Certainly not speaking of the FFR Roadster... Just the new subaru powered Mid engine car announced at Mooch fest 2011. A lot of the original ALLURE of the Roadster was the availability of donors by the thousands, laying behind every barn and in every junk yard Or thats the way it USED TO BE before all the donors were bought up by FFR guys...

SEVERAL years ago friend of mine used to say that the 5.0 Mustang took the place of the 55 chevy as the Hot Rod of choice. Now he is saying the Honda Civic is taking the place of the 5.0 Mustang as the hotrod of choice....

Just a thought...

BTW, I saw a WXR at a salvage auction a few years ago.. it had less than a 1000 miles on it. Looked like some one bought it... Lost it and rolled it several times in a wet mud field. It was not Mangled as in a SUDDEN STOP, just every square inch of the outside sheet metal was wrinkled up. have no memory of what it brought.

Another thought, there should be something INTERESTING one could do with a 3.0 Chrysler Mini Van Drive Train. There are millions of them, they have much power and last forever. Despite MANY BEERS and many brainstorming sessions, neither my neighbor nor I have figured it out

earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheap View Post
    Well, there is the Ariel Atom already...
    Just looked at the Ariel Atom... puts me in mind of a lotus super 7. Cute car. but it looks nothing like what I would expect from FFR.

BUt, you could take an exposed tube car like this and put about any front wheel drive power unit behind it with some creative engine mounts. just at thought.

earl