Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MkII Roadster for Brake and Light Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

MkII Roadster for Brake and Light Inspection

Finally finished the build of my barn find FFR MkII 427 Roadster after 19 years from the original kit sale date and 3-4 previous owners. What an adventure it has been but loving every minute! Good thing this forum and it's great members exist to help guide me through the challenging parts.

However, just when I thought the challenges were over, the adventure continues. . . I'm currently going through the California registration process and all it involves. The car failed the brake and light inspection due to the Lucas headlights, tail/brake/turn and parking lights on the car not being DOT certified. The inspector said they needed to have "DOT" molded into the light lens (not just SAE) to prove that they were DOT certified or they could not pass the car. I assume my lights came with the original FFR kit so I made a call to Factory Five which revealed that none of the lights they supplied with the roadster kits were DOT approved back then. (apparently this is common knowledge in the community but was news to me).

In short, I can buy DOT certified replacements for headlights and front parking lights (L539s) from FFR because new FFR kits now have DOT certified lights supplied. However, the MkIV DOT certified rectangle rear lights are not the same form/fit as the Lucas-style L692 lights I have on the rear of my MkII. I do not want to try to modify my finished and painted MkII with the rectangle tail lights if I can help it I've scoured the internet and made several calls to Cobra replica parts suppliers and not been able to find replacement DOT certified lenses or light assemblies in the L692 style.

I don't want to try "MacGyvering" some trailer lights on the back just to get through inspection, but will if that's my last resort. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to recommendations - like for a Lucas light friendly inspection shop in SoCal or for a source for DOT certified replacement L692 lens/lights or anything else you think might work short of substantially modifying the car.

Thanks in Advance,
    Scott (Caveman)Attachment 134390Attachment 134391

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you in California? My inspection was a piece of cake. I don’t think he even looked for the DOT markings.

I’m in Santa Clarita

It helps if you meet the inspector ahead of time. I stopped by with some build photos and I asked him what he needed. Remember that this is a 1965 replica. He asked if the original had a backup light and that’s about it.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    You might have an issue with the eight stack at BAR inspection. Remember that you need a closed loop pcv system. I’ve seen guys get pretty creative with an eight stack to pass BAR.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Find a different brake and light inspection station.

Post Thanks / Like
    CDXXVII: I’m in Seal Beach near Huntington Beach. Yes, I’ve read the posts about 8 stack and I’ve installed a closed PCV system with the plumbing 0n the “air cleaner” side going to one of the stacks. I’ve read on the forum that the BAR will pass this setup. Thanks for the suggestions - especially visiting the inspector in advance. I think I’ll definitely do that.

i.e.427: I agree. Will likely do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Allison's has done every one of our brake and light inspections. Never had a problem with them. Call and see if they are still doing the CA Brake and Light inspection, since it's been a while since I took a car over there.
    https://allisonsautomotive.com/pages/about-us

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had my brake and light inspection done 2 weeks ago. They spent more time taking pictures of my car than they did inspecting it. They looked at 1 front brake with a flash light through the wheel opening. They had me turn the lights on, blinkers on and stop lights. That's it. It took less than 5 minutes.

R & R Auto & Marine
    14935 La Palma Dr, Chino, CA 91710
    Phone: (909) 597-4411
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Allison's has done every one of our brake and light inspections. Never had a problem with them. Call and see if they are still doing the CA Brake and Light inspection, since it's been a while since I took a car over there.
    https://allisonsautomotive.com/pages/about-us
    Thanks Frank. Will check with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    Just had my brake and light inspection done 2 weeks ago. They spent more time taking pictures of my car than they did inspecting it. They looked at 1 front brake with a flash light through the wheel opening. They had me turn the lights on, blinkers on and stop lights. That's it. It took less than 5 minutes.

R & R Auto & Marine
    14935 La Palma Dr, Chino, CA 91710
    Phone: (909) 597-4411

Thanks Kobra01. Appreciate the referral!

Post Thanks / Like
    Found a shop in Garden Grove that inspected the car without issue and understands kit cars. Same experience as kobra01.

TAC Auto Repair
    11721 Westminster Ave # 1A
    Garden Grove, CA 92843
    Phone: (714) 530-4430

Also had an issue at DMV with serial number from Cert of Origin not being in 2 places on the car and sent me to the local CHP office. Added the Factory Five metal plate which comes pre-stamped and also stamped the serial number on the driver's side door support tube. CHP officer had no issue at all and car has passed all inspections so ready for a final DMV visit this Friday. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Caveman
    Attachment 136037