FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you make the windows roll all the way down?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you make the windows roll all the way down?

I'm not sure if I just suck at internet searching or what, but I can't find a post about the GTM door window travel. Hard to believe there isn't one but....here's my question.

I've seen/heard of people modifying the doors so that the windows roll all the way down. Anyone have pictures/description of how that has been done?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I am not mistaken, Shane sells a kit with a jig that allows you to cut the doors apart and then reweld them properly so that you can get the windows all the way down? PM Shane or give him a call/email at VRaptor.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but I do not offer any solution to this. IMO, it is really not a practical idea to pursue. Yes, it can be done, but IMO, the effort required to try to accomplish that is no where near worth it. Just getting the windows to fit and work inside the door is already one of the most challenging parts of the build....and to try to get them to fit and work inside the door, get them to properly seal against the body AND get them to roll all the way down would make the process 50x more difficult than it already is.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Im currently working on the windows and if I come up with anything ill post something here, either way
    I have seen a couple people get them to go 99% the way down, moving the motor inward, trimming the extra stuff off the motor, or modifying the inner frame to create more space

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your replies. I found a couple YouTube videos of people's modifications...looks intense. I think I might try to get them to go down a little more but it looks like trying to go 100% is likely impossible. I see pictures of GTM's where you can't see the windows. I wonder if they just didn't install the windows?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it. You will have to cut and re-weld the door frame which you will likely have to do anyway (some claim that they were able to get the windows to work without cutting the door frame...it would never have happened with the frames I received). You may have to move the motor or remove part of the motor what prevents the window from dropping all the way down. If you search here and on the other forum you will find that information. No, it's not easy but it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....and again....there is a HUGE difference between:

1. Getting the window to roll down all the way.

vs.

2. Getting the window to roll down all the way AND not tear the beltline weatherstripping off the door every time AND get the window to seal against the body AND be able to roll the window up and down with the door closed without tearing the weatherstripping off the body AND getting the window to not jam into the edge of the body when closing the door with the window rolled up.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not yet built a GTM, though we have just completed doing this on a Type 65. Actually, ours is still up about 1/2". If the GTM is anywhere close to the complexity of the Coupe, it is a very tough challenge. I might be interested in collaborating with someone to take this on if someone close (in the neighborhood) would like to work with us. If so, please reach out to me.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane is right. Its been a few years since I built my GTM but I can still remember nightmares of trying to get the motors installed and the glass to work properly. The glass goes most of the way down and the door is so tall its not comfortable to hang your arm on it whether the glass is there or not. The only GTM's that I have seen pictures of with the appearence of the full retracted glass were race versions and I would assume there was never any glass installed. With all the issues involved with building the car, the windows are the worst and I personally wouldn't make it any worse.