Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Check my homework

Post Thanks / Like

Check my homework

I am currently saving for a base kit budget build. Have decided on a 302 and a t5. Mostly due to expenses. Also worried about car being hard to handle with more power. So in the research I have done it seems like with a 302 I should go with a t5 that has a 2.95 first gear. And a rear end with 3.55 gears. Question is if I build up engine a little. Say aluminum heads intake mild cam. Would I still want the 2.95 first gear? It seams only early t5 have that gear and later ones with 3.35 I believe hold more torque.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do believe that's backwards, the 2:95 first is the stronger. I'm running around 400 hp with a T-5, it's fine.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    The "World Class" T5s used in Fox Mustangs have a 3.35 first. The aftermarket T5-z has 2.95. All things being equal (i.e. for the same money) I prefer the 2.95 but if you get one with the 3.35 for a good price use it. The 3.35 is a little short with a 3.55 rear but works fine; you'll be pulling second gear just a bit sooner but that's OK because second gear is where the party is at

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your comments. Im glad to hear the t5 lives behind a 400 hp engine.