Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: New Order 35 Truck

Post Thanks / Like

New Order 35 Truck

Hey Guys
    Today’s the day. I ordered my new 35 truck. Now comes the fun part. I don’t want to miss anything but on the other hand no sense getting something I don’t need.i guess the first thing that comes to mind is AC. I live on Vancouver Island British Columbia and i have a 34 Ford I built. I never use the A/C in it. I am putting a small block chev in the 35 and I understand there is not much room under the hood to work with. In order to make room in my 34 I had to put the fan in front of the rad. It works great but it sure would have been tight to put the fan behind the rad,it would have been doable but tight. I am thinking of no A/C. But I would cover the inside with hush mat. Any thoughts? Next is the roll cage. I understand it is exposed has anyone installed headliners or anything to hide the roll bars. I am sure I will have a ton more questions and I am looking at all the 35 builds.

Jerry

2. Likes hugo-k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely do the ac. There is Room. You won't be disappointed unless the temp never goes above 50 where you live.

Headliner? Some use the flock that comes with the kit, in the four I have done I have had an upholsterer put a headliner in the cab before it goes on the chassis, so it is above and behind the roll bars. I have one at the shop now that is getting an Alcantara headliner.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jerry! I'm not too far from you - in Arlington, WA - but AC was still something I wanted. I have the Barrett-Jackson edition and it came standard with AC. I'm about half way through my build and I'm working on the cab right now, taking down the parting lines. I too was wondering what to do with the interior so it will be interesting to see what responses you get on that topic.

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on pulling the trigger Jerry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the truck order. Placed an order for one myself several days ago. With a 12/05 completion date. Mine will be getting heat and A/C. Not negotiable. That's what I have in my recently finished Gen 3 Coupe and with an enclosed interior wouldn't have one without it. We don't get a bunch of hot weather here in Michigan either. But enough. But maybe more than that, it's a lot quieter and more comfortable to cruise with the windows up. A/C (and heat like last Saturday morning) make that tolerable. But then maybe I'm just getting soft...

For the headliner, right now I'm planning to do the same thing as in my Coupe. I used U-Pol Raptor black urethane spray-on truck bed liner on the complete underside of the Coupe body. In the cockpit area, took a little extra time to clean/sand the glass and applied a coat of Lizard Skin thermal coating. Then sprayed on the Raptor. With a little more practice next time I think I can get it a bit smoother. But I'm happy with how it turned out. Although I don't have any experience with the flocking process, I'm betting this is more durable. An actual headliner would be OK too. I just wasn't excited about trying to get it installed neatly, especially around the edges, curves, etc. With the roll bar the same color, it all kinds of blends together and looks decent IMO. Note the best picture, but you get the idea. This was before it was painted and finished obviously.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard Jerry , I used flock it and pleased with the results. I painted my roll bar to match the exterior of my truck.
    It’s all in what you like. It’s your truck. I did see a build that had black and white cow hide that skinned the inside of the cab. The cab comes rough on the inside no gel coat. With that being said I was a bit Leary about using flock it. But it covered very nicely. It was the look I was going for exposed painted roll bar. Congrats and good luck on your build

Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I will keep all informed. Great forum. Just finishing a 55 chevy truck so my ship date Dec 19 should work out great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys lets talk engine tranny combination. I put a 383 stroker in the 34 Ford I built with a 700r4 tranny. A LS1 fuel injected with a 700r4 in the 55 I am building now. I was thinking a 302 or 331 ford with a AOD tranny in the 35. And a sniper fuel injection. I want to keep the old school look. You know air cleaner, valve covers, carburetor and so on. Any thoughts. I know its all about what I want but I am just looking for other ideas. Also the roll bar and structure that is in the cabin. What do most of you do leave it black or paint it the same as the outside?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys. I talked to an engine builder here and he suggested a 383 Stage 3 Hight Torque stroker SBC. 415 HP and 460 lbs Torque. C/W TCI StreetFighter 700R4 4 sped and a Fitech fuel injection. If I hang the normal Billet polished stuff off the front of the engine ,AC,alternator etc. Will I have enough room for the electric fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry:

I don’t believe it will be an issue unless you mount your engine way forward.

Here’s a photo of the clearance in front of my Big Block, although I did use the short style water pump.

C2AE97C7-F6EE-47EE-B2E8-DB6CA6AF0678.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat
    Great picture that helped a lot make me feel much more comfortable thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My pleasure!
    Just let me know if there are other angles/places you would like a photo of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably like every other guy guy out there who has not done a FFR yet I am wondering about a lot of different things. For example: Has anyone ever completely boxed in the roll cage and upholstered the roof and back so the roll cage is not visible. There seems to be a lot of room. I am doing a full fendered with a complete hood. Is there a lot of room under the hood for a sniper kit and a good looking air cleaner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I did not know the picture would work. This is the 34 I built. Will the truck have the same space under the hood this has?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccrack View Post
    Sorry I did not know the picture would work. This is the 34 I built. Will the truck have the same space under the hood this has?
    383 SBC in mine with a dual plane and sniper and it would not clear the hood with standard air filter. I did some mods to the radiator shroud to get the fit to hood better. After mods the hood sat about 1" higher and just cleared the air filter. Think the dual plane is about 4.5" to carb height. picture below gives a good idea of clearance. Again this is with SBC and relatively short intake. Ive sense changed to a 427 stroker and haven't figured out what I'll do for fuel yet. I'm thinking downdraft EFI or tunnel ram with dual snipers. Ether way I'll be chopping a hole in the hood.

PS: Beautiful 34

8-6-2019 1.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 09-28-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!!! This gives me a great idea of how a 383 will fit. I really did not want to modify if I did not have to. If you did mods to the rad shroud did you raise it up. because of course you can't change where the cab and hood meet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I notice on the front end and alternator and compressor. Are you running electric PS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!!! This gives me a great idea of how a 383 will fit. I really did not want to modify if I did not have to. If you did mods to the rad shroud did you raise it up. because of course you can't change where the cab and hood meet.
    I cut the top of the shroud off and re glassed together with the rear of the shroud angled up. If you look at all the pictures of trucks with hoods on them you will notice a sleight V on the plane where the hood meets the cowl. Is not a perfect flat plane across them. It really bugged me. Plus I filled in the cutout on rear edge towards the top and made the control arm cutout smaller. You can see pictures on my build pages. Starts on pg 2 and you can see additional mods from there.

And yes running electric power steering. Works real nice.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post382820
    Last edited by bnelson; 09-29-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the order Jerry. Can't recall if I told you on the phone but my dad lives in Victoria so we will have to get together next time I hop over for a visit. Let me know if you get up to the Okanagan and you can check out my version of the hotrod truck. Hoping to have a roller soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Matt. When you are coming over absolutely give me a call. I won't have my 35 until Dec but I have my 34 here completed and my 55 chevy truck that I am working on. I am only 15 min from the Swartz Bay ferry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heys guys. Got my Transport Canada approval letter today. Yahoooooo!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to wait for the truck to be delivered

23. Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heys guys. Got my Transport Canada approval letter today. Yahoooooo!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to wait for the truck to be delivered
    Congrats, thats a big step