FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 33 Grille Treatment

Post Thanks / Like

33 Grille Treatment

I would love to have the grille chromed but its way outta my budget.

Has anyone looked into or actually done a powder coated grille?

Some of the powder coating I see on exhaust headers looks close to chrome.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is a driver, you're going to have rock chips to deal with which will start looking ugly and are hard to repair. Easiest way to maintain the aluminum grill on a driver is to use fine scotchbrite to "polish" it and buff-out road blemishes.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Hot Rod Jim's build thread. IIRC, he had his grill polished and it looked great! Much less cost than plating and easy to touch up as required. You could probably put clear or a product like Ghost Shield over it if you're concerned about road debris. Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my grille polished. Is it perfect? No. It could use some more work around the edges of the vertical slats. I thought about painting or powder coating but the maintenance end of touching it up all the time wasn’t for me. You’d be surprised on what a good polish guy could do with it. I looked Around for a reasonable Crome plating guy but it was either turned down or way out of my budget. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like

Polsihed, powdercoated, painted

Three photos, The black truck is powder coated with the edges painted body color. The Barret Jackson truck is done the same way, The white truck is polished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually ended up having my grill powder coated a base color then cleared. I thin painted the outer rim with the same HOK paint as my car, turned out great and has been very durable.
    20200717_182239.jpg
    For the A2 color I have a touch up paint with clear along with a process for the touch up as necessary. At least once a season I can touch it up and blend appropriately, just don't follow dump truck or other larger vehicles closely, its all part of the game.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

8. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gang, I had forgotten all about the chips that are going to occur. Looks like a polish job is the way to go for something shiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up Chroming mine and there is definitely a significant cost difference, but to me it was worth as I feel the Grill makes the '33. I have nearly 6000 miles on mine in the last year and no chips or blemishes (as of yet). IMO, the grill just pops so much more with the Chrome, but cost is definitely a valid deterrent. Did opt to polish the Roadster Window Frame though due to the location relative to the eyes.

https://youtu.be/OEq6q-MC_Yc
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

11. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    I ended up Chroming mine and there is definitely a significant cost difference, but to me it was worth as I feel the Grill makes the '33. I have nearly 6000 miles on mine in the last year and no chips or blemishes (as of yet). IMO, the grill just pops so much more with the Chrome, but cost is definitely a valid deterrent. Did opt to polish the Roadster Window Frame though due to the location relative to the eyes.

https://youtu.be/OEq6q-MC_Yc
    I can tell you for a fact, that video Jamie has is horrible. That grill stopped the entire autorama when he rolled in I don't think I have seen anything as stunning on a car of any kind. You can't capture how great that grill looks on film

13. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer, JOP33, Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had my grill polished and chrome powder coated, I have 5000 mi. and no chips so far. I think it cost about $100.