Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Powder Coat Touch Up

Post Thanks / Like

Powder Coat Touch Up

I failed at several attempts to use the search function on this forum site, so HUGE apologies if this has been discussed before, but is there a touch up color that matches or a close match for the black powder coat FFR use on their 33 HR frame that I can buy?

I have a few scratches in the frame in the engine bay where parts rubbed during shipment that I'd like to get touched up before I drop the engine in.

Thanks, and again, sorry if this was asked before

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it gloss black or the new satin black? The Rust-oleum gloss black number 7779 works great for the gloss black powder coat.

Sorry, I have no experience with the new satin color.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Is it gloss black or the new satin black? The Rust-oleum gloss black number 7779 works great for the gloss black powder coat.

Sorry, I have no experience with the new satin color.

Steve
    Sorry, I should have specified that...mine Gen 2 frame has the satin black powder coat. I tried Satin Black Rustoleum 2X and it was too shiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eastwood 2K hot rod satin black is a great match.

I believe Spray max brand is the same but isn't the one I used.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Eastwood 2K hot rod satin black is a great match.

I believe Spray max brand is the same but isn't the one I used.

Steve

Thank you Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using VHT SP130 to touch up my gen2 frame, as well as silk satin black powder from prismatic powders to coat anything I want to match the frame. It's close enough that I can't tell where I've used the VHT.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the Gen 2 new satin black powder coat I also discovered that Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint & Primer "Satin Canyon Black" #249844 is a pretty close match as well.

It leaves a slight sheen when dry but I found that if you take 0000 steel wool and lightly buff in the touch up spot plus a slightly larger area around it (let dry at least 24 hours before doing this), that it knocks the sheen down and matches pretty close.

The good news is most of my touch up needed was on the x-brace below the engine so no one is going to really see it but I wanted to protect it from rusting.