Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: '33 Hot Rod Tire Inflation Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

'33 Hot Rod Tire Inflation Pressure

Anyone have a good inflation pressure for tires on the '33 based on weight? For some reason I am thinking I saw somewhere 1 lb for every 100 lbs of vehicle weight, but I could be wrong.

Thanks
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, I've seen the same recommendation. I have 23 psi on mine and seems perfect. The tire place initially put 36 in them and my first go karts were done with that. Rides much better @ 23....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

3. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use tread temps to determine what pressure to run. After driving down the interstate at 75 MPH for several miles of straight road, I pull over and check the temps across the tread. Ideally, I want them to be even (L-C-R) as that shows the tire at that inflation is carrying the load evenly. Of course you have to take into account camber and toe will skew that a bit as toe will induce tire scrub and put more heat into the outside portion of the tread (toe in) and camber will load the tire more on the inside edge (negative camber). To give you an idea of my tire pressures, the front is at 50 PSI and the rear is at 18 PSI. Using a rule of thumb of 1 PSI per 100 lbs of vehicle weight is not going to be very accurate as tires come in all shapes and sizes. The force generated by 1 PSI is dependent on the area that pressure is applied to. The front tires on my car are 6.3" and the rears are more than 16" wide. The rear carries most of the weight so using 1 PSI per 100 lb would give me way too much rear pressure and not nearly enough in the front.

Something to consider...
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

5. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    you should look at the wear pattern, to much wear on the outside of the tyre= too low pressure, more wear in the middle of the tyre= too high pressure.

You can test this by driving the car over some white paint/or somthing and see what the imprint looks like.

7. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Generally, contacting the tire manufacturer is your best bet. I've been able to get information just by emailing the contacts off the manufacturers website. Provide tire size, wheel size, vehicle weight, and tire location (front/rear) for all four and they typically will give you a good idea.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

9. Thanks JOP33 thanked for this post