FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front LCA rubbing body

Post Thanks / Like

Front LCA rubbing body

ok all you wizards out there. My 33 has an issue. The driverside front LCA is rubbing on the cutout in the nose done. See picture. Now, this one has always been real close but now its rubbing. My initial thoughts were that the alignment had drifted 8n the last several hundred miles so I checked every bolt and they are tight. I did hit a pothole last week that may have contributed to this but its closeness has always worried me so now I need help. Dan at FFR thought the lca sleeves might be reversed but they are installed by the book with the diagonal sides to the center. I plan to get it back to the alignment shop to see if it out of adjustment. Otherwise, I am out of ideas. I'd prefer to cover all the bases before I lay this on the alignment shop. Any ideas? Thanks.
    BTW, the pass side has 1/2" clearance at full droop.
    16047070748214306842763141839565.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure the pivot that the arm mounts to in the direction?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Are you sure the pivot that the arm mounts to in the direction?
    Mike
    I double checked the book, Mike. The sleeves have a 90* side and a 45* side. My manual shows the 45* sides facing each other and the 90s outboard which is the way I have the darn things, both sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Havent seen this before. I wonder if the wheel base is shorter on that side. Maybe too much caster has pushed the bottom of the wheel too far back?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had the exact same problem. The passenger side was fine but the drivers was within an 1/8". I have a four wheel alignment machine so I rolled the car over and checked it, it was well within specs. I finally just cut the side panel and lengthened the cutout about 1/2". Figured that was the easiest solution. Curious about the hole in your lower control arm, was that there when you received it? Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Ray, the hole is my work. When I built the front end, I was worried about adjustability and the alignment guy having to use a vice grip. The hole allows a punch to turn it without messing finish up.