Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Hard Shifting TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like

Hard Shifting TKO 600

I got my 427 all in and got the interior done with exception of the new center console. Got it fired up and took for test drive and could hardly get it to shift. When clutch is in it totally disengages (can sit without brake on) but when trying to shift to any gear its almost impossible without really forcing it. Anyone have any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Still sounds like maybe your clutch isn't disengaging all the way. What fluid are you using? Tremec: "For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends TREMEC HP-MTF, GM Synchromesh or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF." I used Genuine GM Fluid 88900333 Synchromesh Transmission Fluid in mine. From Summit. Some mistakenly use Dexron III ATF.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb. I used the exact same thing. 88900333.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aargh!
    Why do the FF5 instructions spec out 2.64 qts. of Mercon/Dexron III for TKOs in appendix D?
    Sorry, just a bit confused by some of the conflicting instructions and info. As is, putting ATF in a manual trans is un-natural, though I understand the physics. Just making me aware of my age I suppose. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Thanks edwardb. I used the exact same thing. 88900333.
    That's worked for me. I'd still recommend trying to adjust the clutch and see if that changes anything. TKO's can be a bit stiff when new. Takes a thousand or two miles to break in. But still shouldn't have to be forced into gear like you're describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Davis View Post
    Aargh!
    Why do the FF5 instructions spec out 2.64 qts. of Mercon/Dexron III for TKOs in appendix D?
    Sorry, just a bit confused by some of the conflicting instructions and info. As is, putting ATF in a manual trans is un-natural, though I understand the physics. Just making me aware of my age I suppose. Thanks guys.
    Quote above is directly from the Tremec website. Very specifically says NOT to use ATF fluid in the TKO. Has to do with the material used in the syncros. Too bad that's what the FFR instructions say. Don't be confused. Take the mfg's word.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Thanks Andrew Davis thanked for this post
    Likes Andrew Davis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got the hydraulic throughout bearing. Set up with clearance recommended in instructions. Man if I have to take the front end apart and pull this engine and trans again I'm gonna cry like a little baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Ive got the hydraulic throughout bearing. Set up with clearance recommended in instructions. Man if I have to take the front end apart and pull this engine and trans again I'm gonna cry like a little baby
    If you set the HRB per the instructions, that's not something you want to change. Wilwood pedal box? Running the pedal all the way to the floor or against a stop? Adjust the stop? Or you could raise the pedal to get more throw. Another option is a larger MC to get more throw. But the clutch not completely disengaging is just a guess and you can't exceed the throw spec of the HRB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    If you set the HRB per the instructions, that's not something you want to change. Wilwood pedal box? Running the pedal all the way to the floor or against a stop? Adjust the stop? Or you could raise the pedal to get more throw. Another option is a larger MC to get more throw. But the clutch not completely disengaging is just a guess and you can't exceed the throw spec of the HRB.
    Yes. The Wilwood box that came in kit. I'll double check. I set the pedal to 1/4" past disengagement per the bearing instructions. I'll try running the stop all the way down and see if it changes anything. Thanks for the advice.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    my experience with the tk600 / hydro clutch is that it requires slightly over an inch of throw from the slave to get easy shifts, had to go to a larger master to get the pedal even with (down to) the brake pedal; feels to me like about half of that distance is used up before the pressure plate began to disengage (beginning with no slack) wish I could find definitive info on the subject

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VIRGIN MIKE View Post
    my experience with the tk600 / hydro clutch is that it requires slightly over an inch of throw from the slave to get easy shifts, had to go to a larger master to get the pedal even with (down to) the brake pedal; feels to me like about half of that distance is used up before the pressure plate began to disengage (beginning with no slack) wish I could find definitive info on the subject
    That seems to be correct. I bottomed out the stop and re bled everything and shifts pretty smooth. I am reading where it takes about 1K miles to really break it in but I can deal with it the way it is. Also figured out you don't shift these things like an old rock crusher. Where you had to maneuver the shifter into the next position. Just open palm it and it finds the next gear. Sure am happy I'm not pulling engine and trans this weekend! Thanks all for the suggestions

12. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul, the 88900333 is on order.
    Thank goodness for the forum knowledge base.