FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Guidance - father too ill to complete project

Post Thanks / Like

Guidance - father too ill to complete project

I’m a new member seeking advice. I’m probably breaking the rules but I’m hoping the mods will move this if need be. I’m posting a new thread because I didn’t want to hijack someone else’s.

My father purchased a FFR kit in 2008-2009 and had it delivered to Calgary Canada.
    It sits unfinished in his garage.
    He has become too ill to complete the project. At one point he had it rolling under power, but has since pulled the engine and transmission.

Options
    1- find a reputable shop in Calgary to complete on his behalf. Prefer a quote for complete job vs hourly. Please post if you know people capable of completing this on his behalf.
    2- find a back yard mechanic to complete.
    3- ship to California, where I live and have a shop/mechanic complete. If I did so would I be able to move across the border? would I be able to register and license in California?
    4- sell unfinished.

Please post if you know people capable of completing this on his behalf, or if you have any guidance on my options.

I don’t have the talent to handle the electrical/ignition systems. I could probably finish the mechanical, paint and interior, but time is a factor.

I do not know what to budget to complete this project. Please PM me if you have any guidance on this.
    I do not know what to expect to be able to sell this for in its current state. Please PM if you have any guidance.

2976BAD5-193E-4168-A10A-6D4B9C1DAE4C.jpeg8FE15AB6-23E0-4AD7-AD68-F50B12ED0C68.jpegE26659C6-5CAB-4C5D-BD8A-6723DF0E9D0F.jpeg3AF3F31F-4492-4221-8F57-8D373354E0FA.jpeg3F7FFB4F-7B84-455F-9862-3D8AC057023A.jpeg8E415FAB-5927-4491-82E0-5EAB086352BA.jpegAF2E74C8-6BB2-4EFA-848B-A72AA9ADD02F.jpeg1D3277F5-09A2-4B99-9D26-D7F21ED48E08.jpegEAE8A374-7550-4F5D-9431-8B4C34AB7D92.jpeg39E5AF50-CF82-4957-B58E-7B07E9E44725.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

More pictures

More images
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your Dad. Watching older folks going through health struggles is tough.

It will be really tough to estimate what it would take to finish it. It would have to be looked at and gone through in detail to understand what's been done and what hasn't. From the pics, the wiring looks like he started to tear it apart making it difficult for someone to just pick up from. It may be helpful in getting focused answers to your questions if you give a bit of insight as to what the overall objective is. Frankly, most people do these projects because they want the experience of building it themselves but you aren't considering that. As such, it is cheaper to buy a finished one if that's the end goal.

For what it's worth, here in Vancouver I've been talking with shops about doing the final body prep and paint on an FFR hot rod. Businesses with large overheads (rent/lease commercial space) are charging $100+/hr. Top end guys that are working in smaller space on farmland or other rural locations (lower overhead) are 75/hr. For the HR we're talking close to 200 hours for a top notch paint job (body prep and paint), stopping short of show quality. The roadster will be a bit less.

The absolute best scenario would be to find someone local in the Calgary or Alberta area that is interested in keeping busy and would just do it for nothing except the expense of parts but most of us aren't set up for paint and getting all the equipment for that (or to pay a shop to do it), is still a lot of expense.

Good luck
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    FF33rod - Appreciate the quick response.
    Personally I'd love to keep in the family for sentimental reasons. But I live in a different country, and in California which is banning IC engines, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to register. Plus there is the shipping expense.
    The electrical and ignition system is something I can't wrap my head around.
    My dad and I have painted 4 cars using friends paint booths, so I could do it. I used to airbrush hockey helmets and motorcycle tanks, so I have some experience with paint. It won't be show quality, but I could live with that,
    My latest hobby is leather craft so my shop in California has more hides than I care to admit and I have an industrial sewing machine. I'm currently working on a 70's Jeep interior for a friend, so I have some experience with leather and interior.
    The biggest thing for me is the electrical and my time. I work full time. I have kids about to go to university so I'm not sure I have the disposable cash to complete quickly so he could at least get to drive/ride in it.

I saw a previous post about someone interested in partially complete kits. My mom is more interested in tying up loose ends and would be willing to sell it. We just don't know what a partially complete kit might be worth (hence the PM request)

I was also taking a shot that there might be some under employed gear heads that might want a side hustle. I just want to see it done if possible.

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you need someone like myself that knows these cars well. That wiring
    Is going to be a nightmare for someone that isn’t familiar with it. Unfortunately I am across the country in Ma.
    Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I think you need someone like myself that knows these cars well. That wiring
    Is going to be a nightmare for someone that isn’t familiar with it. Unfortunately, I am across the country in Ma.
    Mike
    I've seen one of Mike's builds and have a couple of the parts he produces.
    Might be worth looking into having him complete the car.
    If time and money permit, the dream may live on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your dad, it's a hard time for everyone.
    Too bad it is in Calgary I am just too far away in Edmonton to help out. From the pictures it looks like a Mustang Cobra donor build so a rough estimate, the value would be about the cost of a basic Canadian kit + or - a few K. There are always guys out there looking for a kit to complete so it is possible to sell it. I guess you would have to put an add up and see what offers you can get. Taking it across the border will cause issues with registration so be very careful what you do with it.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dad, it's a hard time for everyone.
    Too bad it is in Calgary I am just too far away in Edmonton to help out. From the pictures it looks like a Mustang Cobra donor build so a rough estimate, the value would be about the cost of a basic Canadian kit + or - a few K. There are always guys out there looking for a kit to complete so it is possible to sell it. I guess you would have to put an add up and see what offers you can get. Taking it across the border will cause issues with registration so be very careful what you do with it.
    David W
    Appreciate the sentiments folks. Yeah its tough and sad.
    The engine and transmission are brand new from Ford Racing (maybe a few years old now though)
    The ignition module (NDS from a performance shop in Calgary and brain from Western Canadian Motor Sports) Simple digital Solutions are also new. (I'm not really good with this stuff so excuse my ignorance)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also know he bought a bunch of accessories to go with it - carpet, soft top, windshield, side window, bump steer, mirror, adjustable seat tracks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My heart breaks to see posts like this. I'm sure that car was your Dad's dream and for him to not be able to work on it and see it through to completion has to be tough for all of you.

I don't want to pry so you don't have to answer this question here, It only has to be a discussion for your Dad, yourself and your family.

Would your Dad be able to drive, or at least appreciate the car if it was completed?

If yes, then you have lots of thinking to do. One idea I had is getting a local car club or tech school involved, possibly with your Dad supervising?

If no, then maybe the best thing to do is to let it go and use the proceeds to better care for your Dad and Mom.

Whatever the outcome, I hope it brings you all the kind of resolution that you want and need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drakn_spar. Like Mike Everson, we build these cars as part of Factory Five's network of Preferred Builders. If you decide to bring the car to California, we'd be more than happy to complete this build for you. We just happen to have a Mk3 in the shop at the moment with the same DOHC Mod motor as your father's car and are going the Holley Terminator X engine harness path. If you'd like to discuss options for completing the build or just to talk about the registration process here in California, reach out here with a Private Message or follow this link to our page for other contact info.

https://www.facebook.com/IE427-891650054204648

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    My heart breaks to see posts like this. I'm sure that car was your Dad's dream and for him to not be able to work on it and see it through to completion has to be tough for all of you.

Would your Dad be able to drive, or at least appreciate the car if it was completed?

If yes, then you have lots of thinking to do. One idea I had is getting a local car club or tech school involved, possibly with your Dad supervising?

If no, then maybe the best thing to do is to let it go and use the proceeds to better care for your Dad and Mom.

Whatever the outcome, I hope it brings you all the kind of resolution that you want and need.
    I have contacted (phone and email) the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and left messages for the Automotive department. No response. The answering machine message said that the apprenticeship program was put on hold due to Covid-19. I understand that when they are open they have no shortage of cars to work on. In my voice message I emphasized the cool factor. I'd even be willing to loan it to them for competitions or for display for a period of time.

*technically* the doctor said he can't drive..... ;-). He is mobile for about an hour a day and currently lucid so yes he'd definitely be able to appreciate it, even if it was in the passenger seat.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Holley Terminator X engine harness path.
    Over my head but it sounds good and intimidating. My dad was always talking about 3D mapping vs older 2D mapping. Not sure if that is related but I trust

Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    If you'd like to discuss options for completing the build or just to talk about the registration process here in California, reach out here with a Private Message or follow this link to our page for other contact info.
    Well I live in Bakersfield so you are just down the road. When the state is not purple and in lockdown my daughter probably plays club soccer in your neck of the woods.
    This might be better in a PM but realistically I don't want to be spending 100k on a 60k car. I don't even know the ballpark to get from where he is, to where I'd be safe to drive it.

In this scenario, he'd probably not be able to appreciate it, but it would be an amazing keepsake. The border is closed to recreational ground traffic so I couldn't even drive it up to him. He'd be not able to fly to Cali in his condition.

I'll follow up in a PM.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded with kindness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sorry to hear this. Even when the borders are open, importing and exporting a vehicle can be challenging. I would strongly consider keeping the car in Canada now that it is here. Definitely list it in the for sale section, price will depend on how quickly you want to move it but considering the lead time and hassle of importing a new kit you may have some luck. I am in southern BC, not very close but willing to help if I can somehow. Best of luck to you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to here about your dad. I live in Airdrie and would be interested in a winter project if I can get the boss/wife’s approval. Sent pm.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

17. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife thinks it's a good idea. I work for an airline and have been home far too much. Won't be able to start until after Christmas COVID restrictions allowing. No charge for labour and I have all the tools required. Your only cost would be for required parts, body work and paint. Let me know if you want to go this route.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

19. Likes Papa, copythat, capt1black, FF33rod, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    My wife thinks it's a good idea. I work for an airline and have been home far too much. Won't be able to start until after Christmas COVID restrictions allowing. No charge for labour and I have all the tools required. Your only cost would be for required parts, body work and paint. Let me know if you want to go this route.

Norm
    Norm, this is an incredible offer. I told my dad what you wrote and he thinks he knows of you. I guess it’s a small community. I saw your PM. They have a iron in the fire right now for a possible sale, so I will wait to see how that pans out.

As I’m sure you can understand, I have to honor his wishes despite what I may want. Your offer is incredibly kind and I will let you know. It’s tough, everyone is trying to make it easier on everyone else. I think he thinks the easiest thing for his survivors is if he can sell it quickly. For my sister and I, we’d love to keep it in the family. Your offer might make that a reality. Thank your boss for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely understand. From the pictures you posted and, with the free time I find myself with, I am fairly confident the car could be road worthy by the spring so your father could drive it if possible. Would be willing to temporarily transfer parts from mine to make that happen. I know supply chains are challenged by the pandemic going on. I don't know your father's prognosis and his happiness and peace of mind are the most important things now. Thoughts and prayers for your dad and your family.

Norm

22. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    I completely understand. From the pictures you posted and, with the free time I find myself with, I am fairly confident the car could be road worthy by the spring so your father could drive it if possible. Would be willing to temporarily transfer parts from mine to make that happen. I know supply chains are challenged by the pandemic going on. I don't know your father's prognosis and his happiness and peace of mind are the most important things now. Thoughts and prayers for your dad and your family.

Norm
    Thanks for your patience. Your offer and your compassion is amazing. I should have more clarity with my dads plan by the weekend. He is waiting for some more info, but if that doesn’t work out he wants to talk to you. He thinks your offer is super generous. I will PM you when I know more.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll watch for your PM.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    For what it's worth, here in Vancouver I've been talking with shops about doing the final body prep and paint on an FFR hot rod. Businesses with large overheads (rent/lease commercial space) are charging $100+/hr. Top end guys that are working in smaller space on farmland or other rural locations (lower overhead) are 75/hr. For the HR we're talking close to 200 hours for a top notch paint job (body prep and paint), stopping short of show quality. The roadster will be a bit less.
    Steve
    Steve, I might be able to help you save some $$, if you were willing to transport your car to Vancouver Island to get body and paint done. PM me.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Sold!

Hey everyone,
    This is long overdue but I wanted to make sure that the deal was done before I posted again.

First off, let me say thank you to all that responded. Your words and offers of help were very kind.

The kit and accessories have been sold to an acquaintance. He's going to try and have it complete by spring and give my dad a ride if he's still around and up to it.

Norm: my dad, sister and I really thought hard on your offer. We all flip-flopped on what to do. Do we keep it, and store it in Canada until that day that either of us returned. Do we import to California and hope to get it registered and insured? What happened if something happened to you and you were unable to complete it too. There were a lot of what-ifs. Sure, my sister and I would loved to have kept this as a (very cool) keepsake. My dad struggle with the dizzying amount of tasks on the "To Do" list, and he didn't want to leave any burden to his wife or offspring. It was keeping him up at night.

In the end it was his call. He was offered a fair amount and, to him, it made sense to simplify everyone's lives by selling it. We will have other memories and keepsakes, but it is sad to see this one go.

I write this having returned back to California. My sister is now with my dad and will oversee the removal of the car (this friday). Attached is a picture of him and his car after he got it running and after we took it for a quick test drive down the alley.

Attachment 138666
    Attached Images Attached Images

27. Thanks i.e.427, Norm B thanked for this post
    Likes 65 Cobra Dude, i.e.427, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let the acquaintance know that I am willing to help (Covid restrictions allowing) to get the car done as soon as possible. It would be nice to get your dad a spirited ride in it if possible.

Norm

29. Likes FF33rod liked this post