Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Front brake lines leaking

Post Thanks / Like

Front brake lines leaking

Bled the brakes yesterday, had no leaks, I go-karted the chassis around the block several times (fun times) and while needing some adjustments the brakes felt pretty good. Checked all the fluid lines (brake, fuel, clutch) when I got it back on the lift, still no issues.

Checked a few hours later last night and both front lines are leaking, maybe seeping is a better word, enough to leave a few drips every hour or so. The are seeping both at the banjo bolt and the other end with the 3-AN fitting. I tightened them down as much as I could last night and checked this morning finding the same thing. I've done plenty of disc brakes in my life, I've never had to tighten the banjo bolts this much.

Anyone else having issues with this? Not really a fan of these plastic coated flexible lines, has anyone found a better alternative for these?

Also, anyone know what year / vehicle these calipers are from, If I know that I could probably better search for new lines. I tried searching in Google last night but could seem to find what type of calipers these are.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have copper crush washers under the banjo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    do you have copper crush washers under the banjo?
    Yes...I started out with the aluminum ones supplied in the kit which really leaked bad so I grabbed some thicker copper crush washers which helped a ton. With the copper ones I went from a drip, drip drip situation to just the minor seep I have now.

I may try stat-o-seal washers next.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate banjo fittings! Check the mating surfaces closely as any discontinuities will allow leakage as the alum and copper sealing washers won't comply enough to seal. You can replace the banjo fittings, bolts and sealing washers but the mating surface on the caliper would have to be repaired (or caliper replaced) if the surface is not perfectly smooth. If you're stuck using banjo fittings and are considering replacing the hoses, use a banjo to AN adapter and at least that way you can use standard brake lines with AN fittings. That makes it less expensive to replace damaged banjo fittings. But the absolute best thing you can do is replace calipers that use banjo fittings -- it's just $$...

If desperate, you might try hydraulic sealing washers. They are steel washers with a bonded synthetic rubber seal. The washer captures the rubber seal and prevents you from over tightening it. They're used on higher pressure systems than a brake system but you do have to ensure the seal is brake fluid compatible. I've not used them for brake fluid so can't recommend a particular part but just an idea if you feel like pursuing. Remember, not all synthetic rubber is compatible with brake fluid so choose wisely.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    I hate banjo fittings! Check the mating surfaces closely as any discontinuities will allow leakage as the alum and copper sealing washers won't comply enough to seal. You can replace the banjo fittings, bolts and sealing washers but the mating surface on the caliper would have to be repaired (or caliper replaced) if the surface is not perfectly smooth. If you're stuck using banjo fittings and are considering replacing the hoses, use a banjo to AN adapter and at least that way you can use standard brake lines with AN fittings. That makes it less expensive to replace damaged banjo fittings. But the absolute best thing you can do is replace calipers that use banjo fittings -- it's just $$...

If desperate, you might try hydraulic sealing washers. They are steel washers with a bonded synthetic rubber seal. The washer captures the rubber seal and prevents you from over tightening it. They're used on higher pressure systems than a brake system but you do have to ensure the seal is brake fluid compatible. I've not used them for brake fluid so can't recommend a particular part but just an idea if you feel like pursuing. Remember, not all synthetic rubber is compatible with brake fluid so choose wisely.
    Thanks Naz....yeah, I'm not a fan of the banjo fittings either.

Anyone know what type of caliper FFR ships with their kits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this what you have?
    I'll look thru my stuff to see if I can find more info.

DSCN1491.JPG

DSCN1492.JPG
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JimLev;435348]Is this what you have?
    I'll look thru my stuff to see if I can find more info.

Yes Jim, those are what I have. Turns out from email FFR today they are 99-01 Mustang GT Calipers

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a persistent leak from one caliper,( with the banjo fitting) tried different washers, different line, finally examined the caliper with a magnifying glass and could see tiny corrosion pits. This was with "new" rebuilt caliper from typical auto supply. Ordered an actual "new" caliper ( I think it was Raybestos) from Rockauto and leak stopped. I actually had to replace both because the other side had the infamous seized piston which is quite common with the PBR mustang calipers equipped with plastic pistons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post
    I had a persistent leak from one caliper,( with the banjo fitting) tried different washers, different line, finally examined the caliper with a magnifying glass and could see tiny corrosion pits. This was with "new" rebuilt caliper from typical auto supply. Ordered an actual "new" caliper ( I think it was Raybestos) from Rockauto and leak stopped. I actually had to replace both because the other side had the infamous seized piston which is quite common with the PBR mustang calipers equipped with plastic pistons.
    That's what I'm finding too, I've been working with FFR on my front caliper since they are seeping brake fluid (not really dripping). As noted above, I've tried the aluminum crush washers that came with the kit, switched to thicker copper washer, nothing worked. I think this is one of the cause of my brakes not being 100% right, the the other is I haven't played with the proportioning bar yet so that may help too..

I took some photos of the mating surfaces where the banjo fittings go and sent them to FFR. I'm guessing these are not new calipers we get, probably re-man. The mating surfaces are pitted & corroded and the threads looks really chewed up.

When I got my kit I could screw the banjo bolts into the rear calipers with fingers only, no issue, on the fronts I couldn't, the bolts would screw in so I knew they were cross threading but I needed a wrench every 3/4 of a turn of the bolt to keep going, felt gritty in a sense, I know why now. Hoping FFR can get me a set of replacement calipers, if not I'll just upgrade the fronts to something little better.

Attachment 138211

Attachment 138212

Post Thanks / Like
    Update....FFR told me this morning they had a period where the wrong banjo bolts (coarse thread) were mixed in the fine thread bin. Mine came with coarse thread so I got the wrong ones and while like I noted above they fit with a little effort (not cranking & cross threading them but light helping) I screwed up the threads in the calipers which is most likely what is preventing these from sealing. They also noted the calipers are "new", not remans although my boxes were open when I got them so something is a little odd there.

I have to say FFR is very stand up company from a customer support perspective. They are going to ship me two new calipers and a new set of banjo bolts. They could have easily told me to pound sand since I used the wrong bolts (although the bolts cam with the kit) but they did not which I appreciate.

Worst case I was going to upgrade to a little bigger brake. We'll give this a try first.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you're calm and reasonable with them in email and on the phone, these guys will bend over backwards to help you. I have never had an issue that was not resolved as quickly as possible. treat them like family and they will reciprocate in kind.

12. Likes j33ptj, RoadRacer, AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    if you're calm and reasonable with them in email and on the phone, these guys will bend over backwards to help you. I have never had an issue that was not resolved as quickly as possible. treat them like family and they will reciprocate in kind.
    Amen to that....I don't know how many times I'm in a parts store and somebody comes in ranting and raving due to an issue at the poor people at the counter who are getting verbally abused and reluctant to help. I go in calm and collect and explain the situation (admit blame if it was my fault) and 9 times out of 10 they will make it right.
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 11-25-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Amen to that....I don't know how many times I'm in a parts store and somebody comes in rating and raving due to an issue at the poor people at the counter who are getting verbally abused and reluctant to help. I go in calm and collect and explain the situation (admit blame if it was my fault) and 9 times out of 10 they will make it right.
    Having worked a parts counter, and managed a parts store, I can 100% confirm this.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Yup.....That was the direction I was going before FFR replaced the calipers...I ordered some earlier this week and they are actually set to show up today so I'll be using the new calipers and banjo bolts from FFR but using the stat-o-seal washers instead of the aluminum crush washers that come with the banjo bots.

17. Likes TxMike64 liked this post