BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does the back of the Certificate of Origin need to be signed when a kit changes owner

Post Thanks / Like

Does the back of the Certificate of Origin need to be signed when a kit changes owner

Hi all. Like the title says, does the Certificate of origin need to be signed on the back by the original purchaser or will the bill of sale be all I need? We didn't originally have the seller sign the back because it says for a dealer I believe...

Titling in NH if that matters, bought the unbuilt kit from the original owner in MA.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only speak from my personal experience in Illinois but that didn't mean anything. This was a big pain but got it sorted out. The person that does these here in Illinois kept repeating himself that "the person whos name is on the COO is responsible to title the vehicle". I repeatedly asked how could this be that when I acquired I had nothing but a metal chassis and a bunch of car parts. In the end the COO wasn't even considered in my titling process and they wouldn't accept anyway. I had to go through a surety bond title process. Thank god another builder saw my post back in august and gave me the name of someone who does this turnkey (she does a ton of salvage vehicles which is similar process). Here in Illinois they require a 1.5x apprised value bond. The cost of a bond is roughly $20 per thousand.

See if you can get in touch with someone in the custom motor vehicle department in NH. They should be able to give you some iota of direction but know this may become a puzzle wrapped in an enigma.

FFR is pretty versed in these matters. Get in touch with Sally in their office (she issues all the COO for FFR) and she may be able to help.

Good Luck!
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Note this is all state dependent so don’t take any of this as the gospel. I went through this with an unfinished kit in PA and general consensus was DONT sign the back. That’s for dealers only. I drew up a bill of sale that referenced the CoO number and had it notorized. Again could vary by state and many other factors but I would verify with your state from multiple sources before you sign anything.
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to ask your state motor vehicle department. Also the opinion can change. I bought an unfinished kit, and the state said no don't have it signed. It was a long build, and when I went for title it was a big problem, the rules had changed and it needed to be signed., Luckily the original owner helped me straighten it out.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CFranks View Post
    Note this is all state dependent so don’t take any of this as the gospel. I went through this with an unfinished kit in PA and general consensus was DONT sign the back. That’s for dealers only. I drew up a bill of sale that referenced the CoO number and had it notorized. Again could vary by state and many other factors but I would verify with your state from multiple sources before you sign anything.
    I am about to go through this, original owner is in Virginia and car was never titled by him. I am in PA.

So don't sign on the back, but instead have a Bill of Sale that references the FFR CoO details and have that Bill of Sale signed by both parties and notarized.

This happens enough I figure it shouldn't be a major issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be ready for a lot of confusion regardless. Most motor vehicle office employees have likely never done one of these and any deviation from the standard process will make it worse.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nowhere to sign it. Only a Dealer reassignment area
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess not everyone believed me from the other thread on this topic. Only for dealers. Mike and others got it right. I went through the exact drama as nuhale on my #7750 Mk4 Roadster build. Bought the barely started kit from a gentleman in NH. His name was on the Certificate of Origin. I had a fully executed bill of sale. But Michigan made me treat it as a lost title, had to get a surety bond, etc. Also said the same thing -- the seller in NH should have titled it before he sold it to me. It was a 2-3 month old kit mostly still in boxes. Right.

But don't panic. Based on the volume of kits that change hands before titling, this issue only comes up occasionally. So not every state is an issue. My surety bond cost $600 - $700 as I recall. Probably more now. But saved quite a bit more than that buying the second hand kit. Other than the frustration, was still an OK deal.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-27-2024 at 02:46 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.