Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What can I expect to pay for insuring a roadster?

Post Thanks / Like

What can I expect to pay for insuring a roadster?

Just looking for a ball park figure for insuring a roadster. I'm a senior and I live in B.C.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Your best bet is likely to use Hagerty for insurance but they won't insure you if you've had recent accidents (5 years) or speeding tickets (ask me how I know)

ICBC of course has to provide at least our basic insurance. I insured the '33 hot rod for 3 months as a standard vehicle with icbc (not collector or vintage) so I would have no restrictions as to where and how I could drive it. It was basically the same rate as my BMW. I do have the option of insuring it as a replica collector at much reduced premiums but there are restrictions. unfortunately, with the roadster you don't have that option as it must be 1942 or older. Hence the recommendation to use Hagerty...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

3. Thanks Alley Oop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Steve.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about Hagerty. They required me to submit a "driving resume." They wanted to know what high performance driving experiences I've had and what hi-po cars I've owned. It was pretty funny. At one point I said, "wait, you currently insure my GT350. That's got 526hp." They said, "yea, no. That's not the kind of power we're talking about!" So I got the insurance approved in the end, one I assured them that my teenage sons will not have access to the keys!

To the OP questions, I have the Cobra insured for $50k and the GT350 for $55k. I think Hagerty pretty much charges based on declared value. For me it's about $1k per car, a tad more for the GT350. I'm in NY.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Each province or state is different. Different companies and rules. For reference I am in Alberta and have Intact insurance, stated value based on an appraisal and there are some driving restrictions but not crazy like some collector car insurance. My Cobra is $300 and the Daytona is $600 both per year.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into Hagerty since they have my Dad's vintage Jag, middle of second paragraph in large red font "WE DO NOT INSURE COBRA REPLICAS"
    Has that changed?
    Scott
    2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
    F5 MKII (sold)
    MKIV soon
    "When in doubt go to full throttle, it may not solve the problem but it will end the suspense"

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to go through a special application process. See my earlier post. But yes, they do.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know - thanks Adam

Scott
    F5 MKII (sold)
    MKIV soon
    "When in doubt go to full throttle, it may not solve the problem but it will end the suspense"

Post Thanks / Like
    Love this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
    Love this:

Tells better than it lives!!! Lol

My other fav is:
    Three guarantees in life, death, taxes and there's always somebody faster!!
    If they get attitude-ish I add "but it ain't you, and it ain't that!"
    Scott
    F5 MKII (sold)
    MKIV soon

Post Thanks / Like
    "there's always somebody faster!!"

Yup, that's what I teach my kids about driving and why you don't drive in the left lane (among other reasons). It seems the faster the car and the more experienced the driver, the more that fact is NOT lost! It's the guys in a WRX/Honda/Nissan, or whatever who think they are the fastest guys on the road and no one would ever want/need/be able to pass them. But I'm preaching to the choir I'm sure.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of getting insurance from Robbin at Midwest Classics. My car is not painted yet in Go-Kart, they gave me $45k agreed value with no paint with 1k deductible for about $380/year, 3k miles per year of driving. They will go about 80% of build cost for agreed value so when the car is done I will try and get another 7-10k added to agreed value. This policy is strictly for me or my wife only to drive the car. I would not let any of my kids drive this car anyway and my wife more than likely will never get behind the wheel. I felt like this was a pretty fair price less expensive than I was thinking it would be.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131