BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Platform derivatives? 3, or 4 seater?

Post Thanks / Like

818 Platform derivatives? 3, or 4 seater?

Often I wish to take friends along on fun drives, and 2 seats just aren't enough. Dave since you mentioned multiple derivatives of the 818 platform, how about a Lotus Evora type "4-seater"

With the flat boxer motor, maybe the occupants can sit on the gas tank, or engine.

Or how about a McLaren F1 type 3-seater setup?

It may require stretching the wheelbase, or not, you guys are the experts.
    Last edited by Cooluser23; 10-12-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? There's no way.
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled the back seat out of the Camaro cause an adult cannot fit in it. I can't imagine someone trying to be comfortable in the back of this even with it stretched a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a car like this a rear seat is not about comfort, it's about making do in a pinch. The same for the Lotus.

I have always thought the 3 seater idea was genius, but hard to do on a tube frame. The F1 was a full carbon monocoque.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like a 4 seater should be the next thing Factory5 makes. It does seem odd that they have all 2 seater cars, but nobody really makes a kit car to be their primary daily driver. If they ever do make a 4 seater, I hope they make it a shooting brake.

To make the 818 a 4 seater, you would have to stretch the wheelbase about 30", which would require a complete reworking of the chassis and body. Alternately, I suppose, you could avoid as much of a stretch by reworking it to accept a rear engine from a porshe 911, but that would be a drastic redesign of the chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^damn refresh rate, but yeah what BipD said

This would take a full engineered redesign of the chassis.
    You can't just stretch it, you're potentionally adding an additional 300 to 500 pounds of just pasenger weight, nevermind the additional bracing you're going to need.
    Suspension geometry will need to be redone and so on.
    All that being said I would not be surprised to see a 4 door, build it yourself, sports sedan (think 97/98 BMW M3 sedan) come out of Factory 5.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    All that being said I would not be surprised to see a 4 door, build it yourself, sports sedan (think 97/98 BMW M3 sedan) come out of Factory 5.
    As a fanatical lover of the E36 BMWs, I certainly hope so!! I'd buy that in a heartbeat even if it meant selling the 818 I plan on buying ^_^

-B

Post Thanks / Like

sportwagon

I'd love to see a kit for the car that I really want but that Ford doesn't see to want to build. I want a lightweight sport wagon with the RWD drivetrain from a Mustang. I need 3 seats in the back, a manual tranny and a roof rack for my toys. Something like this, admittedly though, is probably not a good candidate for a kit car.

They are probably better off with their next effort being something off road.

That brings up a good point. Could the 818 have an off road, albiet 2WD variant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    That brings up a good point. Could the 818 have an off road, albiet 2WD variant?
    A point that has been brought up several times on this forum. I recall early on that Dave even mentioned his fondness for 2WD Rally cars. Essentially sports cars that can handle any road. So heres to hoping...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Isn't that what local motors is for? I think FFR (or at least the two brothers) have a significant share in them.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    It's not difficult to add a couple inches to the car as it sits. The 2nd place design would led itself well to a couple inches of lift and 27" tires.

Also, there have been many comments on the similarities to the 818's design and the Lancia Stratos..... Nothing even remotely official, but pause for thought nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    might be interesting for the track version to be just a one seater like the mclaren with the single seat in the center

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    A point that has been brought up several times on this forum. I recall early on that Dave even mentioned his fondness for 2WD Rally cars. Essentially sports cars that can handle any road. So heres to hoping...
    It's actually been brought up: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ighlight=rally

I really hope for the 818 to have exotic looks and handle practically any road.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't need to be a comfortable 3, or 4 seater, so not much of a stretch is required. Look up a Top Gear video, or any video on the Lotus Evora. Those seats are basically "emergency seats" and don't leave much room. But if you have to take home your drunk friends they'll appreciate the ride, even if they're cramped in like a pretzel.

More room would also allow for more luggage space, which is always good.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818 will always be a second car so I dont think they will really take much account into something like that.

Given the information we have its a given that it will be a 2 seater, I have already put my current coupe up for sale to grab a sedan / suv to be the perfect match with the 818

Post Thanks / Like
    If a center-seat interior were made, a friend of mine would sell his soul to build an 818; and he's never turned a wrench in his life! :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Rumor has it FFR is working on a light weight rumble seat trailer, in secret. I was lucky enough to snag this spy photo.

http://www.blackbirdbikes.com/accessoriesparts.htm
    trailer_001.jpg

Of course I'm just kidding, but a rumble seat trailer might be the best way.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control