BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Overflow relocate

Post Thanks / Like

Overflow relocate

From the start of this build I've been trying to clean up the clutter in the engine bay. I mounted the heater valves under dash, ran the fuel lines through bulkheads, rerouted wires in the harnesses, ET. But one thing really bugged me the most. Putting the overflow all the way back on the firewall and having to run the hose across the open engine bay.

I finally came up with an idea to build bracket off the shock tower and keeping everything pretty much under the cowl. Below is what I came up with. I have it secured with a SS T-Bolt clamp. A better way would be to weld aluminum nuts on to the canister and just bolt to bracket. I'm having some issues with my TIG and aluminum so have this route till I get it figured out. But still pretty happy with getting it tucked in the front I was a little worried about it flexing front to back. But after attaching support from front of shock to the upright its solid as a rock. Still waiting on some clamps to finish up the top hose assembly and need to get a little shorter bolt for the shock mount. Frigging SS bolts are draining my savings but sure look better

sorry bout the sideways pix....

12-20-2020 1.jpg12-20-2020 2.jpg12-20-2020 3.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 12-20-2020 at 07:24 PM.

2. Likes chuck35truck liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're mounting it to a moving suspension member?
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NAZ;438557]You're mounting it to a moving suspension member?

Yea but mounted with clearance set with wheels all the way down. So when it dose move it will only move downward. On the bottom the hoses have plenty of slack and available movement no matter how far it travels. Which on mine is not much. Just a holding tank so cant see how that would be an issue. Maybe slosh around a little.
    Last edited by bnelson; 12-20-2020 at 08:04 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. Better have a plan B...
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Good luck. Better have a plan B...
    What do you think an issue would be? Am I not thinking of something?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    You're mounting it to a moving suspension member?
    Is that Coolant Mixer or an Overflow Tank?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAJ

I think it's going to shake the coolant out of the reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like
    So after thinking about NAZ's coments I went out and looked closely at everything. Plenty of clearance. Movement is minimal when I jump up and down on the front. Can anyone think of why this would affect functionality? I am a rookie and can be missing something but I just cant see why a little movement would cause any issues in the way it operates? Please feel free to criticize. I want it to work right! In all honesty I didn't even think about it till NAZ mentioned it Dont want to steer anyone down the wrong path in case they thought about duplicating this.

Any and all feedback appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Is that Coolant Mixer or an Overflow Tank?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAJ

I think it's going to shake the coolant out of the reservoir.
    Just overflow tank. Only thing I can think of is it sloshing maybe could cause a little excess to get out the overflow tube. But tube is at top and 1/4". Cant see how much could be sloshed out? Ive checked this tank under normal operation and never has more than a few inches at bottom. This thing runs pretty cool with open engine bay. Pretty consistent 190 degree. Even last summer when it was hot.
    Last edited by bnelson; 12-20-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I say try it, you can always move it if it doesn't work. If I had not already mounted mine to the firewall I might have considered using this!

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Just overflow tank. Only thing I can think of is it sloshing maybe could cause a little excess to get out the overflow tube. But tube is at top and 1/4". Cant see how much could be sloshed out? Ive checked this tank under normal operation and never has more than a few inches at bottom. This thing runs pretty cool with open engine bay. Pretty consistent 190 degree. Even last summer when it was hot.
    Hope You Are Right!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, now for some more unsolicited opinion. I, too, was a rookie when I built my roadster. As far as the overflow tank, I tried several different locations, all of which were less than desirable. (In the end I took a different direction, but that's another story.) The advice I have received - from more than one person - has always been to eliminate movement and/or vibration on everything. My opinion is that you should listen to NAZ and GoDad. I wouldn't mount an overflow tank on anything that moves, irrespective of how much.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    OK, now for some more unsolicited opinion. I, too, was a rookie when I built my roadster. As far as the overflow tank, I tried several different locations, all of which were less than desirable. (In the end I took a different direction, but that's another story.) The advice I have received - from more than one person - has always been to eliminate movement and/or vibration on everything. My opinion is that you should listen to NAZ and GoDad. I wouldn't mount an overflow tank on anything that moves, irrespective of how much.
    Alright....I thunk up plan B last night. I'll post something when I get it mocked up later tonight

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Alright....I thunk up plan B last night. I'll post something when I get it mocked up later tonight
    :-) following

I like where you are trying to go with this... with AC, and ECM, my firewall is getting busy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakers35 View Post
    :-) following

I like where you are trying to go with this... with AC, and ECM, my firewall is getting busy!
    I hated it. Meant to post this over the weekend but forgot. I ended up fabing a bracket that attached to the shroud/radiator bolts. Nothing on firewall now except the brake fluid and fuel lines coming out on left side. And of course the heat/ac lines. Much happier with it. I just plugged all the holes with button head bolts. If I end up pulling the engine again sometime I'll weld up the extras and repaint.

12-31-2020 1.jpg12-31-2020 2.jpg
    Last edited by bnelson; 01-05-2021 at 11:56 AM.