Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Finally legal in FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finally legal in FL

Its been a saga but I won in the end!!! I didn't want to wait until I could title as a 1965 so I went through FL's new process to title as a 2020 Assembled From Parts (ASPT) vehicle. Process was simple but time consuming and the paperwork is confusing. You fill out the paperwork, get a certified weight slip, invoices for kit and engine/tranny, insurance, pictures and mail with $40 check to Palmetto for Charlotte County. They go over it, tell you what needs to be corrected. You mail it back in again and they call you to set up an inspection. Once you have the inspection date, you take that email to the DMV and get a 10 day temp tag (cost $5 but not required if trailering to inspection). My inspection was this past Tuesday and was very simple. Did not check anything on the car and just applied a VIN. You then get an envelope that you cannot open and deliver it to your local DMV (tax collector in FL). One caveat is you need to update your insurance to 2020 ASPT and the new VIN before going to the DMV. Pay your sales tax and walk out with a tag and title.

As an update for other FL FFRs - the issue is FFR is not listed as a Replica in the FL database. I've had 5 cars in this state titled as 1965 or 1933 but they were supposedly all wrong because they had FFR as make and that doesn't exist so the person behind the counter added it which supposedly can't be done anymore. I've contacted the State Tax Collector asking how to get FFR added to the Replica database as have at least 3 other guys for this forum. We'll stay on top of it and will update once we get any change.

Henry

image0.jpeg

2. Thanks MHUnmann thanked for this post
    Likes capt1black, MHUnmann, cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coincidence? Just finished reading your saga. Started browsing Bring a Trailer and came across a 2006 Ariel Atom 2. Started reading and...

"a clean Florida title in the seller’s name that lists the vehicle as a 2006 ASPT (assembled from parts)" https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ariel-atom-3/

I never heard of that classification before but will never forget it now. Good info to know. Thanks!

I am still up in the air about which FFR to dive into, and having the time adds to that dilemma.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henry,

Great to see another coupe on the road. Look forward to seeing it at a future DSCC event!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they any restrictions on emission for the new "2020 ASPT"?

Regards,

Yigal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Are they any restrictions on emission for the new "2020 ASPT"?

Regards,

Yigal

Negative Yigal, no restrictions! My concern is resale.

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post, I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and I hope to order a roadster kit in a month or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious what the process would be for a California registered FFR Cobra with SB-100 moving to Florida Treasure Coast area - any insight to the challenges I'm about to face??

Post Thanks / Like
    i did a title transfer from kentucky to stuart fl on a 33 hot rod. i needed a vin verification and got hooked up with a person at the mvd that was knowledgable on the subject. it was not easy but she figured it out. i can get you her name if stuart location can work for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Palm City, FL. I purchased a GTM that had been previously titled in Tennessee.

Barring any issues with the title, if it is listed as a ‘KIT’, all you need to do is fill out a form (both you and seller have to sign) and have the VIN inspected by local Sheriff to verify it is not stolen. If the seller is out of state, I guess you could have them download the form and send it with the car. It is form number HSMV 82042 (REV 1-15-21).

I think this form only works if it was previously titled in another state.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm always amazed how different each state is for registration and titling. It was a big factor on whether I was even going to buy my car. As it turns out in Maryland it couldn't be easier, but I was worried about state inspections and emiissions and In the end I needed neither. I think it would be a huge service from FFR if they contacted each state and listed the states requirements of tag and title procedure. So when you put your money down at FFR you know what your in for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the feedback~ Turbo I would really appreciate getting your contact person in Stuart - my wife and I were originally looking in the Port Saint Lucie area but our kids and grandkids are in the Panhandle ~ not a pretty but it's family!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bringing this back to the top because I am getting tons of questions about FL titling. It can be done but is a bit cumbersome. Michael from the Orlando area just successfully navigated through this process. It really is frustrating that each DMV and each employee at each DMV interprets State laws differently. I’ve been trying to contact Tallahassee to get this fixed!

Thanks,

Henry

14. Likes capt1black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    Bringing this back to the top because I am getting tons of questions about FL titling. It can be done but is a bit cumbersome. Michael from the Orlando area just successfully navigated through this process. It really is frustrating that each DMV and each employee at each DMV interprets State laws differently. I’ve been trying to contact Tallahassee to get this fixed!

Thanks,

Henry
    I am outraged by some absolutely strange laws that can be interpreted in different ways. This introduces imbalance in society. Not to mention some stupid restrictions like "you can't leave an elephant in the parking lot."