BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Problem with Flashers & brake lights

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Flashers & brake lights

Need some help figuring out a flasher/ brake light issue. I have the lights & flashers installed. I noticed that when I apply the brakes the front amber lights come on along with the brake lights. Also when I turn on left or right signal light both tail lights flash, as if I turned on the emergency flashers. Now when I do turn on flashers the front amber lights and the rear lights flash.

So far I checked wiring diagram with what I actually wired up on car. All checked out. I double checked the ground for main fuse box.

One question is there a ground I could be overlooking in harness that needs to be grounded to chassis?

Post Thanks / Like
    HotRod or Cobra?
    Is the Hazard switch a dual pole switch?
    Mike

3. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm making an assumption that you are using the RF harness. If this is not the case, ignore my post. If you are using it, the only place there is any integration between the rear lights and the front lights is at the tail lights. Based on my own experience with a similar situation, I'd suggest that you check the wiring connection on the tail lights and on the front parking lights. It is very easy to get those wires connected to the bulbs "backwards". That results in all kinds of interesting lighting combinations when you hit the brakes, use the turn signals, etc. Grounds do play a part here, but not the only part.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

5. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Mike alluded to if you aren’t using the DPDT switch for the hazards the left and right are not isolated.

Heff

7. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    HotRod or Cobra?
    Is the Hazard switch a dual pole switch?
    Mike
    Cobra
    Using a DPDT that came with kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I'm making an assumption that you are using the RF harness. If this is not the case, ignore my post. If you are using it, the only place there is any integration between the rear lights and the front lights is at the tail lights. Based on my own experience with a similar situation, I'd suggest that you check the wiring connection on the tail lights and on the front parking lights. It is very easy to get those wires connected to the bulbs "backwards". That results in all kinds of interesting lighting combinations when you hit the brakes, use the turn signals, etc. Grounds do play a part here, but not the only part.
    I am using the harness that came with the kit. I also connected the rear harness wires for tail led lights using the guidance on box. See pic5D03C575-F237-4837-843D-F94A24F0317E.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you have the hazard switch wired? You should have the pink wires connected to the two center pins on the switch and then the blue and green (left and right) to the two pins on the same (either) end of the switch with the other end empty.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

11. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    How do you have the hazard switch wired? You should have the pink wires connected to the two center pins on the switch and then the blue and green (left and right) to the two pins on the same (either) end of the switch with the other end empty.
    I have the 2 pink wires on the end terminals and the blue green in the middle. I switched and it did not change results.
    Last edited by Kmcallahan; 12-27-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try pulling one of the front turn signal bulbs out and see what happens. Then do the other one. My best guess is that you have a ground flipped with another wire in the bulb connection. If the fronts are correct, try the rears, one at a time.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

14. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Try pulling one of the front turn signal bulbs out and see what happens. Then do the other one. My best guess is that you have a ground flipped with another wire in the bulb connection. If the fronts are correct, try the rears, one at a time.
    I removed bulbs as suggested for the front and all worked except the fixture without a build then for the rear I just in plugged the whole light fixture cause I have LED’s. Again all worked without interruption.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many dash indicators, one or two? IF only one, are diodes placed to prevent bleed-over?
    Check your bulb (LED's) installation, there have been numerous posts about bulbs being installed 180° out of phase due to the socket bulb guides being rather loose - bulbs can, and have been installed 180° off causing several "weird" conditions.

If you are using the "normal" one rear light for Brake and the other for TS, the only wires that are common in the rear are the brown wires for 4 tail lights (low element) - this is the same brown wire used in front for markers (low element).
    Your dash indicators can be tied to the front TS. Your Brake and TS are two completely separate circuits only sharing a common ground.

Are you sticking with the printed RF harness diagram or are you using the "popular, My427" drawing for flash-to-pass or high/low beam functions? Or any other diagrams out there . . .

Do you have the rears tied together so both upper and lower come on for Brake/TS? Is there a "trailer adapter" in the rear circuit?

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 12-27-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

17. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    How many dash indicators, one or two? IF only one, are diodes placed to prevent bleed-over?
    Check your bulb (LED's) installation, there have been numerous posts about bulbs being installed 180° out of phase due to the socket bulb guides being rather loose - bulbs can, and have been installed 180° off causing several "weird" conditions.

If you are using the "normal" one rear light for Brake and the other for TS, the only wires that are common in the rear are the brown wires for 4 tail lights (low element) - this is the same brown wire used in front for markers (low element).
    Your dash indicators can be tied to the front TS. Your Brake and TS are two completely separate circuits only sharing a common ground.

Are you sticking with the printed RF harness diagram or are you using the "popular, My427" drawing for flash-to-pass or high/low beam functions? Or any other diagrams out there . . .

Doc
    I am not using any of the indicator lights. The GPS gauges have them built in. I am using the supplied diagram for wiring. I have included pics of rear wired fixtures and diagram. 3848CF72-71AE-4E73-9949-3F2DAE0406EE.jpeg7697F407-120C-4D8F-AD67-43878AF78EBF.jpegimage.jpg
    Hope the pics help.

Post Thanks / Like
    How is the right fixture wired? The left looks correct, but your notes for the right are confusing.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

20. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the rectangular LED lamps you must incorporate the additional module (often referred to as a trailer light module) to provide the logic for turn indicators to override the brake lights. Have you done this?

Jeff

22. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jeff Kleiner;439283]With the rectangular LED lamps you must incorporate the additional module (often referred to as a trailer light module) to provide the logic for turn indicators to override the brake lights. Have you done this?

Jeff[/QUOTE

HHUU!! As Tim the tool man would say!!!

image.jpg
    So I have to wire this in between the car wire if and the light fixtures?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: "So I have to wire this in between the car wire if and the light fixtures?" . . . Yup, goes in the rear brake light circuit so the little voltage particles can be told which way to go when you pick Brake OR Turn Signal. They get really confused when the circuits are tied together and the brake light circuit OVERRIDES the TS signal.

Sorry for not understanding you were using the later LED modules (rear lights) instead of individual LED bulb replacements (comment above about upper AND lower).

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

25. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to thank all who responded to this post. I fixed the issue by adding the taillight converter to the rear taillight harness. All is good. Thanks again for the help.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    so the converter didn't come with the kit that came with LED taillights?
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/newr...9032&noquote=1

Toadster the tail light kit Does come with kits that include the new square taillights. If you are converting to the new square tail lights you can just go and buy a trailer light kit. Or order the kit from FFR its around $18-20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    so the converter didn't come with the kit that came with LED taillights?
    Toadster,
    Yes the converter did fix the issue. I only originally overlooked installing the converter. Once I wired converter in line properly all lights work properly.