Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: F9E Way-Too-Early Speculation Thread

Post Thanks / Like

F9E Way-Too-Early Speculation Thread

So, after being away from keeping up with FFR for a few years, I came back around and learned of the F9. Which is awesome. Really looking forward to seeing how it shapes up. Specifically, I'm excited by something in the Fall Update: the trademark for F9E.

Now, there's already many suggestions for the F9 and F9R that are wanting ALL THE CYLINDERS. Which, sure, I'm excited about the possiblity of a built not bought V12, too. However, I think the more interesting options will be with the F9E. I have 3 options that come to mind for me:

Good (and most probable): All-Electric Supercar. And it would make a lot of sense. Simplifies the needed materials, only have to deal with an electric drivetrain, and allows for customers who may really be into cars but not so much into feeding a V12 engine. Partner with a company like EV West, and it could be a package deal, no donor required.

Better: A Hyrbid Hypercar, a la the current NSX. All-wheel drive, maybe with a twin-turbo V6 (or maybe supercharged V8, because why not?)? Sign-up me up. Pair it with an ECU that could allow a low mode (electric only for daily driving, commuting) and a go mode (for, well, when we want to go), and that's just about perfect.

Best: A Fisker-style hybrid. All-wheel electric drive, hopefully with torque vectoring and other goodies from a company like Rimac. Then an inline 4 turbo diesel that acts as a generator to provide extra power when needed? That would be perfect.

All of this is, as the title suggests, way too early. But hey, dreaming is free, and I want to know what everyone here thinks about the F9E.

What do you think it will be? What do you hope it will be?

2. Likes JimLev liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I were to build an F9 it would be powered by this little nugget:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...es/lsx/lsx-454

It would be in front of a T56 to keep it simple, powerful, and reliable.

4. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of electric so I ran the math to do an all electric with the HP in the >500 HP range. It is too expensive. Talking 10K plus for motors and 30K+ for batteries. It is the damn 10C discharge rate of lithium batteries that kills it. Plus all the oem battery packs are made to fit their cars. You would have to do a custom set up to fit enough of them in the F9. For 1/4 price, I get a gasoline engine with equal power, basically unlimited range, and no time related lost of power. If all you want is 100-200 HP, then it is more economical. But then why bother putting it in a supercar. Or if you have unlimited funds, then go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasmodean View Post
    I like the idea of electric so I ran the math to do an all electric with the HP in the >500 HP range. It is too expensive. Talking 10K plus for motors and 30K+ for batteries. It is the damn 10C discharge rate of lithium batteries that kills it. Plus all the oem battery packs are made to fit their cars. You would have to do a custom set up to fit enough of them in the F9. For 1/4 price, I get a gasoline engine with equal power, basically unlimited range, and no time related lost of power. If all you want is 100-200 HP, then it is more economical. But then why bother putting it in a supercar. Or if you have unlimited funds, then go for it.
    At least on the batteries, don't overlook the option of reconfiguring any number of the OEM packs. At least the Tesla, Chevy Volt, and Nissan Leaf packs are very easily disassembled and reconfigured to fit the space or voltage needs you might have. I have an off-grid building powered by solar panels, and I tore down two Nissan Leaf battery packs to build a 14s14p battery (48v nominal) to store solar energy for nights, cloudy days, etc. The most power I have ever drawn out of it was 800A, at 56V -- about 45kw of power, or 60 horsepower. (And that was actually an accidental overload on my AC inverter, but no harm no foul -- the battery didn't even notice, but the inverter cried uncle and tripped a breaker.) My total cost is under $2k for that homebrew battery. I can't speak to the motor, controller, etc., but wanted to pitch out there that "$30k+ for batteries" can easily be worked around.

If I built an F9, it might be a challenge to talk myself out of another V12 build. But if I was going to do something really non-standard, a tuned-up straight-six turbodiesel would be a trip. (For that matter, so would the V10TDI built by Volkswagen, which I have a lot of experience with -- but running it and finding a transmission to put behind it would be a larger challenge than the BMW unit.) Fun to think and fantasize out loud a bit.

Cheers, John
    FFR10004105RD: Twin-turbo BMW V12 powered FFR Roadster
    Currently garaging 2,600hp spread across 78 cylinders and 4 turbochargers

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Long time no posting. Glad to see you here.

Enjoyed the letter.

Hope to see you more here on the forums.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I love this idea! There was a bloke up in Oregon/Seattle somewhere built an all-electric Coupe a while back and I honestly wish I had the know-how to do it too. I think most folks, like me, would be so in the dark as to solving problems or even planning an E build that it just feels completely out of reach. But if it weren’t, I’d be all over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiami View Post
    I love this idea! There was a bloke up in Oregon/Seattle somewhere built an all-electric Coupe a while back and I honestly wish I had the know-how to do it too. I think most folks, like me, would be so in the dark as to solving problems or even planning an E build that it just feels completely out of reach. But if it weren’t, I’d be all over it.
    Here you go. All of the hard thinking has already been done!

https://scorpion-ev.com/venom/

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Here you go. All of the hard thinking has already been done!

https://scorpion-ev.com/venom/

Jeff
    so many questions.

why does it need a 5 speed trans? With the kind of torque an ev motor puts out the T-5 is an… interesting choice of trans.

edit: should have dug a little deeper. Looks like it uses a Hyper 9 HV from Evolve Electrics.

https://evolveelectrics.com/products...9-hv-motor-kit

at 162 lb-ft of torque that explains both why it needs a trans and why the T 5 is more than up to the task.
    Last edited by JohnK; 10-27-2023 at 06:09 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    All for the low, low, price of $40K
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    An all-electric F9? Please, no. EV's are NOT the future. The entire idea behind cars like this was light-weight + good HP = Awesome performance. I have no interest in building a 6,000 lb "performance" car.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

13. Likes Edgeman liked this post