Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: All STI Knuckles and Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

All STI Knuckles and Brakes

I started off with the decision that I needed to use the beefy 27 spline spindle from a 2004 JDM STI. When I couldn't locate any, I decided to break down and go with 2006 STI rear knuckles with the 27 spline axles and 5x114 wheels. Then I started thinking why not go full STI. So I went with the front STI knuckles and the 5x114 hubs, and I figured I'd go with the stock STI brakes all around. Worked out fine in the front. I easily modified the FFR upright adaptors, and I added 1/8" plates to each side to beef them up. I got stock STI rotors for about $25 and a very nice pair of rebuilt calipers for $368 from Rock Auto.

So now I'm trying to order the rear brakes. Got the rotors, no problem from Rock Auto. I go to order the calipers and all of a sudden, I have a problem. Out of stock at Rock Auto. Also out of stock at Autozone, Summit, 1A auto, Carparts.com, partsgeek.com, NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, Ebay, even Amazon. Nobody has them. I checked with my local dealer. The Subaru P/N's are 26692FE002 and 26692FE012 for the right and left calipers. I'm told they're Brembo calipers. I can order them for around $700 EACH. I went to the Brembo website, and for some reason, they don't list the STI brakes, nor do they cross to the Subaru P/N. They cross to similar Subaru P/N's, which look to be WRX parts. The rep at Summit called Powerstop, and Powerstop finally admitted they don't have any, and couldn't say if or when they might get any.

So, anyone know of a source of reasonably priced rear 2006 STI calipers? (either used or rebuilt)

OR, does anyone know what changed on the 2008 STI calipers? I hear they are similar but different.... I can get 2008 calipers.

IMG_1524.jpgIMG_1525.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I needed something like that, I went to my local auto parts store and bought refurbished units and forfeited the core charge. Time is money and I had my parts right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was expecting to do. That's how I got my front calipers. For some reason, it doesn't seem like an option for the rears. I thought maybe I just had to order them and wait a few weeks, but that doesn't seem like an option with Summit or any of my local places. They are telling me they can't take an order. VERY frustrating...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    At those prices, I’d look at StopTech or Wilwood upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! I searched EBAY but I think I searched for Subaru STI, looks like whats available are the JDM parts. Yes, from everything I've heard they should be a perfect fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hadn't searched Stoptech. I just checked and..... Front calipers only. Nothing available for the rear. Checked Wilwood again: Nothing for the rear either. Wilwood has a kit for the 818, but it's for the standard WRX hubs (5 x 100). I could probably put something together with a different rotor, but it's still pretty dear ($1562 for the rear).

I think it's going to be Ebay, and then a rebuild kit from Rock Auto....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried car-part.com a National used car parts register and there several listed on there: https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
    739C79D0-67F2-4C94-8163-4CF7C036D735.png
    Last edited by biknman; 01-09-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    FFR 818r Instagram biknman69
    2020 Ram 2500HD, 19 Forester Touring DD, 96 GM coupe for SCCA SM
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
    • Ernest Hemingway

Post Thanks / Like
    I had not tried that site, thanks for the reference! I just checked, it's an excellent place to shop for used car parts, and they do have a fair number of options. I've got it saved now for future reference. I've got a pair coming from Ebay, got the pair for $600 including shipping. That just seems to be the going price, when you can find them....