Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: LQQKING for a smart thermostat...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

LQQKING for a smart thermostat...

Researching smart thermostats, they all seem to say, "...compatible with Google Assistant, Alexa, Bixby, Apple Home..."

Reading through product descriptions and online manuals, I can't seem to figure out if you must have a home network such as the above. I don't have a home network, I don't want a home network, and I'm hoping for a smart thermostat that just works on WiFi.

All I want to do is to be able to adjust the A/C setting remotely because I'm back and forth between two residences and I sometimes don't know where I'll be sleeping.

It would also be nice to have a thermostat that has a remote sensor. The thermostat is in the main living area downstairs and It would be great to have a 2nd sensor upstairs.

Current thermostat is 4-wire white, blue, green, and red if that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ecobee
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

3. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Hom...d_asin_0_title

It works via WiFi (no other device required) and an app on your phone. Once it is set up, it's hands off unless you want to change something. I really like that it can support both heat/cool control automatically for those transitional periods we experience here in Colorado where we want heating at night and cooling during the day.

Edit: This does require the C wire. On my system, it was easy to adapt since the number of wires in my run already had extras and all I needed to do was connect it at the furnace. I don't think you will get away from the C wire requirement on any modern thermostats. It's really just to power the display vs. power from a battery. There are external "retrofit" options available if you need.
    Last edited by Papa; 01-15-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had both nest self learning thermostat and ecobee.
    nest works w/ google and ecobee w/ amazon/alexa but you don't have to set either one up for a smart home, just hook it up to your WiFi.
    both have remote sensors so you can prioritize different parts of your house. the nest sensor allows you to set the overall temp to just one room (for example the upstairs bedroom, leaving the downstairs slightly cooler than the set temp). We used to use this to keep the nursery at a constant temp. The Ecobee has sensors as well that can average the temps between rooms (for example the house can be set to 70F, but the upstairs might be 72F and the downstairs is 68F).
    Both have smart phone apps, geofence capabilities (although my ecobee sometimes doesn't recognize when I've returned home), eco modes, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    20210111_203033.jpg

Further info - I have a Chromecast stick so that means I already have "Google Home."

I have a red wire, I could have sworn I saw in an installation video that the red wire was the "C" wire but there are different ports for R and C. The HVAC system is original to 1977, except for the most recent thermostat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nest here in our home and also one in the garage shop since it's a separate heater. I use the Nest app on my phone and control via WiFi. Work great.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    nest is the easiest, only needs wifi (and Ive never had any smart home devices like alexa, etc). honeywell is in current house, and works ok too
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I got in touch with Google NEST support. They need to know the make and model of the HVAC unit.

I'm leaning towards the NEST with one remote sensor for the 2nd level of the house.

At least I have a good start today, I didn't want one of them dreaded Alex@ devices in my house. But I guess no marketing campaign is going to say, "Smart Thermostat that runs with house WiFi only - no extra home devices required because we don't want your money!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with 'new old skool' :-) I upgraded my three manual, programmable thermostats to WiFi enabled versions of the same thing (Honeywell). These are quite inexpensive, allow full control of each (mode, temp settings, etc) via a straighforward app on the smartphone.

Super useful when spending time away in random schedules as you stated. I always have my phone nearby, and hence control them this way. I feel better about this method vs the thermo 'learning' my random habits, and hoping it's doing what I would want.

So nice to be able to cool or heat just a portion of the house, and do it while enroute for instance. Or after leaving and not having to physically check on them.

Whatever you choose, you will love the remote access aspect.

20210202_082538.jpg
    FFR 5818 MK3.1 build restarted.
    331 EFI stroker, T5-Z, 3.08 gears. BBK shorty headers -> FFR cat's & side pipes.
    Power brakes, electric power steering. Tan leather interior, TBD color, no stripes.
    Latest Milestone: First Start. Current: EEC tune via BE, Moates QH, Innovate LC-1

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    6084f7ea592e3a2fb1b08b1460f201c449db9715-1.jpeg

I went with the Nest. I wrote to Google Support about a wiring diagram and to my surprise they got back to me in 2 hours. I ordered the Nest direct from Google and it came in one day. Setup was flawless, including the remote sensor.

There are sperate temperature settings for the thermostat and remote sensor.

I didn't need any smart home hub, Alexa, iProduct, or the like. Just my phone and wifi. All settings regarding privacy are OFF except energy use data to Google.

The only goals were to control the temperature remotely depending on whether I'm going to this house after work, and also the remote sensor for the upstairs bedroom.

13. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
    6084f7ea592e3a2fb1b08b1460f201c449db9715-1.jpeg

I went with the Nest. I wrote to Google Support about a wiring diagram and to my surprise they got back to me in 2 hours. I ordered the Nest direct from Google and it came in one day. Setup was flawless, including the remote sensor.

There are sperate temperature settings for the thermostat and remote sensor.

I didn't need any smart home hub, Alexa, iProduct, or the like. Just my phone and wifi. All settings regarding privacy are OFF except energy use data to Google.

The only goals were to control the temperature remotely depending on whether I'm going to this house after work, and also the remote sensor for the upstairs bedroom.

Did Google support respond in 2 hours? You are incredibly lucky. Usually you have to wait for days, and when you do, many support staff answer something incomprehensible and off-topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the first go, all I had was the picture of my thermostat. It was live chat, answered right away. They asked for more information regarding my actual HVAC unit. Sadly, I didn't have any. They emailed me my open case number if/when I get more information.

Two months later, I found a tattered wiring diagram and I emailed them back with my case number. It was then they got back to me in 2 hours. Might have been even less - I didn't check my messages constantly.

The wiring instructions were incredibly clear. During the NEST setup it showed a picture of how it was wired just to be sure.

Once again, for matters of privacy, "why-tech", and otherwise over-complicating my life, I usually don't do smart devices such as a smart sprinkler timer. I also prefer to flick a light switch rather than do it from my phone. But so far I'm very happy with the NEST. The only goal was to control the a/c remotely depending on evening plans. The remote sensor works perfectly, and it was easy to set up separate zones depending on the time of day.

I have a mud room, plus a 2nd locking door to the house. I plan to get a smart lock for the mud room door for Amazon deliveries.