Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Will 4l80e fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Will 4l80e fit?

Ordered my kit on Monday, looking to go with the tci 6x which is the same size as a 4l80e. Can anyone confirm whether it will fit or not?

Thanks
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine are you intending to use and would you be willing to move it ahead an inch or two?

Honestly I had difficulty fitting a Powerglide in my ‘35...but behind a Big Block Chevy.

I set the engine back as far as I could to help negate the extra 50-75 pounds it imposed on the front end. If the engine was more forward it would have been a piece of cake with lots of room everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything will fit... eventually. But have to look at the trade-offs. Just getting started on my truck build. Link in my sig line below. I'm doing a 4L65E with an LS3. The 4L65E is the one recommended by Factory Five so didn't look any further. I'm a newbie with automatic so stayed with their recipe. I've mocked it up in the chassis over the last several days. It fits but it's tight. I don't think you could go much bigger without modifications. Not a lot of room to move the engine forward. I personally wouldn't move it back. I'd highly recommend avoiding anything that reduces the already somewhat limited cockpit space, including the perhaps larger transmission cover that a larger transmission would require. The kit supplied cover fits about as tight as I'd want on my 4L65E.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-20-2021 at 06:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat, I am using some iteration of an LS3, just haven't decided which long block yet. The big difference between the two transmissions is around the bellhousing area I believe

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you will have problems around the bracket the E-brake assy bolts to. Others have gone to an electric E brake for their own reasons...so that is not insurmountable.

Take a look at this gentleman’s LS3/4L70E installation if you haven’t already. I think you’ll get a much better picture of what you’re up against.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-fitment-issue

Cheers,
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an LS3 4L75E in my truck and it was a tight fit, I had to trim the frame brackets where the trans mounts as well as the upper floor panel on the passenger side. Here is a link to GM transmission dimensions, looks like the 4L80E based transmissions might be a little longer and as such the trans mount may not line up?

https://paceperformance.com/p-28983-...imensions.html

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSCustoms View Post
    Ordered my kit on Monday, looking to go with the tci 6x which is the same size as a 4l80e. Can anyone confirm whether it will fit or not?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott I have a SBC in mine and originally installed a 4L60E. It just barely fit. I had about 1/8" clearance from front pulley and steering and about the same in back between trans pan and part of frame that sticks in more toward the center and trans mount is attached to. Looking at picture below (4L80E, 4L60E, TH400) the pan on the 4L80E looks to be quite a bit farther towards the rear than the 4L60E. Not sure how you make that fit without cutting frame. I had one of the early ones so not sure if any changes have been made to better accommodate the larger electric transmissions. I've sense swapped it out for a TKO 5 speed manual and can tell you it is sooooo much more fun than the auto! Also had to do a ton of work to the trans tunnel to fit the 4L60E and get the seat in. But having said all that, the most fun I had with this project was changing things around, doing mods, and making a little different than the rest Have fun!

4L80E-4L60E-TH400-Transmissions-678x381.jpg12-2-2019 1.jpg1-4-2020 2.jpg1-6-2020 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bnelson; 01-21-2021 at 08:31 PM.