Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5 headlight wires?

Post Thanks / Like

5 headlight wires?

OK, ground, low beam and high beam i get. Then there are two more wires, one I am going to run for daytime running lights, which I'll need to run another wire to the fuse box for. But what is the fifth wire for? And what wire makes the turn signals work?

IMG_9734.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Lot of earlier posts on this. The way it works is not intuitive, I moved the tan wire from the switch (one of 2) to my accessory buss (not in the instructions) so the DRL are on anytime the Ign. is on, then the signals will work. You pretty much need a battery installed to verify your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VIRGIN MIKE View Post
    Lot of earlier posts on this. The way it works is not intuitive, I moved the tan wire from the switch (one of 2) to my accessory buss (not in the instructions) so the DRL are on anytime the Ign. is on, then the signals will work. You pretty much need a battery installed to verify your progress.
    Thanks for the reply. I've got a 12 volt power supply, so I checked the high, low, ground, and the red extra wire, but nothing is on the green? It says to tie the red and green together to get the orange turn signal working, does that mean I need to run a wire for the turn signal?

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said, its not intuitive. You pretty much need to have the entire lighting circuit connected including steering column (Hazards and turn signals), and brakes before you can answer your own questions. The reason it is so convoluted is to work around feedback issues without adding extra wiring (imho).
    Read my earlier answer about moving the tan wire then you don't tie the red and green together

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VIRGIN MIKE View Post
    As I said, its not intuitive. You pretty much need to have the entire lighting circuit connected including steering column (Hazards and turn signals), and brakes before you can answer your own questions. The reason it is so convoluted is to work around feedback issues without adding extra wiring (imho).
    Read my earlier answer about moving the tan wire then you don't tie the red and green together
    Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate them. As you can see in my picture, I don't have a tan wire. My wires are white with purple stripe, yellow with green stripe, and black going to a connector. Then there are two loose wires, one green and one red.

I think I'll try to connect the red and green together, then put voltage to that pair connected to ground. If that give me an orange bar, that must mean that the green wire is some internal resistance. I'll just measure that resistance and put it on the fuse block end. If that works, I'll add a relay and could possibly have both DLR and amber turn signals.

Sounds like alot of work...

Or maybe you are talking about the front loom from the fuse box having a tan wire...

Post Thanks / Like
    2 Tan wires on the light switch, one goes forward to light the white bar, the other aft for the tail lights. The one going forward must be hot for the orange blinkers to work (don't know if harness has been modified since my version) Or tie the red and green together
    Last edited by VIRGIN MIKE; 01-17-2021 at 12:38 PM. Reason: additional info