Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: CCK in Eugene Build Thread: Order Placed!

Post Thanks / Like

CCK in Eugene Build Thread: Order Placed!

This is probably way too early to start a build thread, but now that I've finally placed my order I feel compelled to keep all of my information in a single thread.

Gratitude: Before I list any details, I want to start with gratitude. First, my good friend Martin in Atlanta who "lit the fire." His initial research helped me realize that this was a realistic and feasible project. Martin will start his build in a year or so when his daughter is older. I'm hopeful with my head start I can keep ahead of him. Second, a shout-out to my fellow Oregon builders (Mark in Medford and Jack in Eugene) who have both been quite helpful and patient in answering my questions. Their projects are different but both are spectacular and are quite motivational. Appreciation for my dad, who will be helping with the build when he's in town. Dad was the one who ignited my love for classic cars and I have fond memories of many car shows throughout my childhood. We always talked about restoring a building/restoring a classic car -- now is our chance! A final note of appreciation for the forum members (here and on the other site as well as the Facebook group). I have learned so so much from your build threads. I feel like I know many of you just from reading the forums over and over. I don't think I would feel comfortable tackling a project of this magnitude. I will try to pay it forward and post frequently.

Background: I'm a urologist in his mid-40s living in Eugene, Oregon. I have a life-long love of cars but not a ton of experience working on them. I hope what I lack in knowledge I can make up in enthusiasm and a willingness to research. Of course, there's the typical surgeon's hubris ("I'm smart enough to figure this out") but tempered by abundant humility ("what the hell is this and what am I doing?")

Goals:
    intended use: daily driver when weather permits
    performance: high level but dependable, turnkey
    looks/impression: not necessarily period-correct
    color: silver (think Bond's DB5) with mostly black accents including side pipes, dual roll bars; no center stripe, undecided on hood scoop

Order:
    MKIV Complete Kit, placed 1/25/2021

FFR Options with Original Order:
    powder coated chassis
    IRS
    17” Halibrand style wheels with Mickey Thompson tire package
    power steering
    Front and rear Wilwood brakes (black calipers)
    body cut outs
    vintage GPS gauge kit
    leather seats
    dual powder coated roll bars
    assembled side louver
    center dash support
    heater
    glove box (I recognize this isn't officially compatible with the heater but I've seen some mods that will accommodate a shallow glove box and a heater
    battery cut off switch

Engine/Transmission: (not yet ordered)
    Dart 347 by Mike Forte with Sniper EFI and Tremec TKO 600

Upgrades from Outside Vendors: (not yet ordered)
    --drop trunk
    --front battery
    --cubby between seats
    --removable steering wheel
    --radiator lower support and fan shroud
    --extra thick firewall and trans tunnel cover
    --hydraulic clutch throttle linkage
    --2 qt overflow tank
    --seat brackets for slider
    --breeze dead pedal
    --soft top (via FFR)
    --side door pockets
    --?? possibly a push-button start

Garage setup:
    --I have a separate 3 bay garage next door to my house but one bay is free. The other is storage and the third has a camping trailer parked in it. I will have a dedicated bay with additional area for tools and some storage. It has heat, water, a bathroom, and (most importantly) internet.
    --still shopping for a lift to save my back. Likely 2 post. The bay I'm using only has 9' ceiling, so that limits my options.

thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to answer questions, offer suggestions/constructive criticism, and follow along this crazy journey!
    -Chris

2. Likes MSumners, Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Build School:
    --Plan is to attend a build school as soon as they are available. I've been checking the website but there are none listed. I've emailed the registrar. I wonder if COVID has shut them down? I received my vaccine so I'm comfortable attending if and when it's possible.

Huntington Beach
    --Plan is to attend so I can meet some of y'all in person and check out your cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your kit order! Sounds like a fun build. (But then I say that about all of them. Because they are...) Probably you know this already but the TKO has been replaced by the TKX. If you don't know, you'll find out when you try to place an order with Mike. It's all good. The TKX has several improvements and the installation is exactly the same as a TKO. Also, yes the build school at Mott College is closed due to COVID. They're hoping to open it later this year, but nothing official yet. They're in my backyard. About 45 minutes away. BTW, have family in the Klamath Falls/Medford area. So get out there occasionally. Just not last year.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul -- so appropriate that you were the first comment, as I've read all of your roadster build threads more than any other-- especially your anniversary roadster build. It's obvious you take a lot of time and effort to make them clear and instructive; even years later people like me are hanging on every word and picture

thanks for the info on the transmission and the build school!

6. Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, Congratulations!! I guess I'm going to have to trek to Eugene and help turn some wrenches and partake in some Oban 14yo Scotch, LOL!!

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

8. Likes CCK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with Factory Five
    1. given that my build will probably take two years, they suggested that I wait on ordering tires since they will degrade. Good advice and I'll find some junk tires that will fit
    2. as I noted in the original post, they reminded me that the heater is not necessarily compatible with glove box. Suggested that I move the heater all the way to the right and/or get a firewall forward kit from FF metals
    3. as far as they know, the TKX will install/mount the same as the TKO (which is what edwardb said above)
    4. no discounts available

My date of completion is 5/15/21
    Last edited by CCK; 01-26-2021 at 02:53 PM. Reason: update with completion date

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the order! Very similar build to mine, my completion date is next week, so I'm the kid on Christmas Eve over here.

11. Likes CCK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I eagerly await pictures of the progress of this build while I sit here in Atlanta just starting to plan mine out in a couple of years! Congrats on pulling the trigger, can't wait to help out a couple of times!

13. Thanks CCK thanked for this post
    Likes CCK liked this post