Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: murdunjam

Post Thanks / Like

murdunjam

Hi. Looking for ideas on how to cover the holes across the back and side of the hard top inside ( holes that give you access to bolts holding top down ) . Also would like to hear from someone who has installed power brake booster unit. ( booster size and installation problems if any). Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning on doing what wrp (Bill Price) did, he made a leather trim piece similar to what is used to finish off that area when the hard top isn't on (roadster mode). Will add velcro to hold it in place. You can see Bill's in one of his videos, check out post 763 of his build thread
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Restart/page20

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like

power brake booster in a Hot Rod / Truck

The answer for power brake booster depends on which engine and body configuration you have - space under the hood / inside the side covers is very limited. If you are running without a hood or side covers you have more options. If you have a physically small engine, the easiest choice is the Whitby power brake system https://www.whitbymotorcars.com/prod...-kit-complete/ . I suggest you call Jeff Collins at (336) 389-0904 to verify that his system will fit. Whitby has apparently installed the system in several Hot Rods with SBC, SBF or LS engines.

I am running a Coyote engine though, and the Whitby booster is too big in diameter to fit. I bought a booster/MC assembly from Summit that has a 7" dia. booster and am currently trying to shoehorn it into the Hot Rod. The pumpkin fits fine, but the MC is a full size GM style unit with built-in reservoirs and the brake lines interfere with the engine side covers. I had fab some mounting tabs and tilt it a little to fit properly. I also had to fab a bell-crank type assembly to convert the pedal motion to the correct stroke. Of course, you avoid all these issues if you can make the Whitby system work in your vehicle.

HTH, Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    The answer for power brake booster depends on which engine and body configuration you have - space under the hood / inside the side covers is very limited. If you are running without a hood or side covers you have more options. If you have a physically small engine, the easiest choice is the Whitby power brake system https://www.whitbymotorcars.com/prod...-kit-complete/ . I suggest you call Jeff Collins at (336) 389-0904 to verify that his system will fit. Whitby has apparently installed the system in several Hot Rods with SBC, SBF or LS engines.

I am running a Coyote engine though, and the Whitby booster is too big in diameter to fit. I bought a booster/MC assembly from Summit that has a 7" dia. booster and am currently trying to shoehorn it into the Hot Rod. The pumpkin fits fine, but the MC is a full size GM style unit with built-in reservoirs and the brake lines interfere with the engine side covers. I had fab some mounting tabs and tilt it a little to fit properly. I also had to fab a bell-crank type assembly to convert the pedal motion to the correct stroke. Of course, you avoid all these issues if you can make the Whitby system work in your vehicle.

HTH, Keith HR #894
    I installed the Whitby system in my 33 a couple years ago and I really like it. I did it after the fact so I had to contend with wiring and AC venting in the way but that got worked out. I ended up removing the Wilwood pedal bracket completely and cut off the mounting studs where the Wilwood cylinder sat. Just for more room with less stuff to scrape my hands on. The Whitby system uses a normal 7" booster along with a "corvette" style MC and Whitby's custom made brake pedal and linkage. You'll need to redo your brake lines but it is overall a fairly simple install job. My side covers fit just fine with this setup. Just remember to make you lines from the MC bend as sharp as possible if coming out the drivers side. I plan to replace the lines I made up with banjo fittings and -3an braided lines to a junction block down on the frame. I also used a banjo fitting with brake light switch to eliminate that crappy pedal activated FFR switch that is impossible to adjust. Good luck..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post

HTH, Keith HR #894
    Hi. Thanks for the info. I will call Jeff at Whitby Motors. I'm running a 306 Mustang engine with hood but no side covers so I might just have enough room for it to fit. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    I installed the Whitby system in my 33 a couple years ago and I really like it. I did it after the fact so I had to contend with wiring and AC venting in the way but that got worked out. I ended up removing the Wilwood pedal bracket completely and cut off the mounting studs where the Wilwood cylinder sat. Just for more room with less stuff to scrape my hands on. The Whitby system uses a normal 7" booster along with a "corvette" style MC and Whitby's custom made brake pedal and linkage. You'll need to redo your brake lines but it is overall a fairly simple install job. My side covers fit just fine with this setup. Just remember to make you lines from the MC bend as sharp as possible if coming out the drivers side. I plan to replace the lines I made up with banjo fittings and -3an braided lines to a junction block down on the frame. I also used a banjo fitting with brake light switch to eliminate that crappy pedal activated FFR switch that is impossible to adjust. Good luck..
    Hi. Thanks for the info.Seems like theWhitby Motors unit is the one to go with. I'm not running side covers so that should eliminate some of the problems . Does Whitby supply a brake pedal and linkage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I was planning on doing what wrp (Bill Price) did, he made a leather trim piece similar to what is used to finish off that area when the hard top isn't on (roadster mode). Will add velcro to hold it in place. You can see Bill's in one of his videos, check out post 763 of his build thread
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Restart/page20

Steve
    Hi Steve. Thanks for the info. The trim piece looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few close up shots. I pulled it off the velcro to show the holes and just slapped it back to show the strip in place.

Seq-17g3.jpgSeq-17g4.jpgSeq-17g5.jpgSeq-17g6.jpgSeq-17f9.jpgIMG_7845.jpgIMG_7846.jpegIMG_7847.jpeg
    Last edited by wrp; 02-16-2021 at 12:37 PM.

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Here are a few close up shots. I pulled it off the velcro to show the holes and just slapped it back to show the strip in place.

Seq-17g3.jpgSeq-17g4.jpgSeq-17g5.jpgSeq-17g6.jpgSeq-17f9.jpgIMG_7845.jpgIMG_7846.jpegIMG_7847.jpeg
    Thanks, pic's make it easier to see what you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also cuts down on wind noise and stuff coming through from the trunk via the shoulder belt loops

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Also cuts down on wind noise and stuff coming through from the trunk via the shoulder belt loops
    Ok. Thanks