Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM Steering

Post Thanks / Like

GTM Steering

I just purchased a gen1 completed by VRaptor a few years ago. I’m very pleased with the quality of the build and understand he did not build 100% of the car, so I am not getting to blame or point fingers at anyone. I bought the car knowing I would tweak a few things to my taste. My problem is with the steering. It jumps and shakes as I go over road bumps at legal speed (I haven’t opened it up yet). At VW one point the wipers turned on as the wheel was shaking. The car also moves around a lot at any speed. I understand it is the stock or factory steering box and suspension supplied with the kit. I feel it should be tighter and hug the road better. I have been over every nut and bolt and checked all steering components including under the dash for something loose but no luck. I feel if it was this bad from the factory kit, no one would purchase one. My alignment is a little out and will be getting aligned soon. The car has 200 miles since the build about 2017?

Thanks for listening. Any advice?

Robb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely start with the alignment. They can point out any possible issues they find while doing the alignment. You should not have any vibration/steering issues with this car if the parts and install were done correctly. These cars using the stock components handle like they are on railroad tracks and though they may ride a little stiff like most performance cars, should not experience anything your are having. I never raced mine but I can testify at speeds way over 100mph they ride and track fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Definitely start with the alignment. They can point out any possible issues they find while doing the alignment. You should not have any vibration/steering issues with this car if the parts and install were done correctly. These cars using the stock components handle like they are on railroad tracks and though they may ride a little stiff like most performance cars, should not experience anything your are having. I never raced mine but I can testify at speeds way over 100mph they ride and track fine.
    Thank you

I have started at the rack and pinion and worked my way up to the steering wheel. Everything is tight and new but as held the steering shaft (female version) and jiggled the steering wheel, there was some slop. I referenced the assembly manual and see that a sheer pin should be installed where the male part of the shaft inserts into the main steering shaft. This has not done. The corvette column is non telescoping. Any thoughts on this issue?

Picture attached image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your spring rate? If too stiff, could transmit lots of unexpected feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    What is your spring rate? If too stiff, could transmit lots of unexpected feedback.
    That is my next step. Ive never dealt with an adjustable suspension. I really don’t know where to start Tomorrow is my day to research and see what others are doing. I found some old posts about the steering column and issues others have. I ended up drilling and bolting it and it tightened it up. Feels great now. Any suggestions on spring adjustment ?