FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  137

Thread: Brandon's 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been drilling holes for days in the right side of the front firewall, side intrusion panels, and the rear engine-side firewall. I am on my 3rd drill bit and already running low on the 1/8" rivets so I will have to get more eventually. I am still up in the air if I want to make my own internal side pieces like Justin shows in his last picture or eliminate them like others have done.

I finished the rear engine-side firewall in 3 pieces and added a layer of Thermo-Tec aluminum heat shield and quickly noticed my lines were a bit off, but it still looks pretty good. I will seal the lower 2 panels with some silicone on the cockpit side. I have the rear suspension hung and have started on the front. I can only work on the front right since I am still waiting for the special sheetmetal pieces for the Wilwood pedals. I am a bit confused the R instructions doesn't specify what type of bolt is used on the rear bushing on the front LCA. Is this supposed to be a 1/2" or 5/8" bolt? The washer stack it says to use are 5/8, but in the pictures it looks like a 1/2" bolt. The holes in the frame tabs are ~0.58" so it does not seem like a 5/8" bolt is supposed to go there, but I want to ask to make sure. I have it mocked up right now with 1/2" bolts from the supplied hardware, but they seem too long so I might buy a shorter bolt if it is supposed to be 1/2.

I also had to switch the rear bushings on the front LCAs to make sure they aligned with the frame left/right tabs. This meant I had to undo the 184 ft-lb nuts. Now that the front firewall is in there I need to retorque this nut before I install the LCA. Do these rubber bushing need any grease (small amount of lithium/chassis grease)? The FSM does not say to add any, but they seemed really tight when they were torqued because I could not move them. Just curious if it would help or if that is a no no.

IMG_1155[2].jpg

IMG_1158[1].jpg

IMG_1156[1].jpg

IMG_1157[1].jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    I am a bit confused the R instructions doesn't specify what type of bolt is used on the rear bushing on the front LCA. Is this supposed to be a 1/2" or 5/8" bolt? The washer stack it says to use are 5/8, but in the pictures it looks like a 1/2" bolt. The holes in the frame tabs are ~0.58" so it does not seem like a 5/8" bolt is supposed to go there, but I want to ask to make sure. I have it mocked up right now with 1/2" bolts from the supplied hardware, but they seem too long so I might buy a shorter bolt if it is supposed to be 1/2.
    Believe it or not it's Metric for the OEM size donor bolt!

IMHO switch all the crappy FF supplied bolts for AN bolts and OEM suspension bolts.

See my build thread starting at Post #344.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post458587
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer