Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Halfshaft axle seals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IRS Halfshaft axle seals

I ordered my MK4 with the IRS and halfshafts, taking delivery in April.
    I installed my pumpkin yesterday, then installed the halfshafts, and then the knuckles.
    Started installing the second knuckle and this ring fell out (but I don't know which way it realy goes back on, and there isn't one for the first one I installed.
    A friend told me they should have been on the halfshafts and should have been pressed on (they don't fit tight on mine and fell off).
    And I only had one on one halfshaft. I'm told I can't even buy them, I went to 2 Autozones, 2 O'Reilys, and a Lincoln dealer. Nobody can find it or tell me what to order.
    Please advize.

This is frustrating, but I am enjoying the build!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A friend just sent me this diagram.
    Looks like it's part of the axle (# 4B436)
    I only had one, and it just slips on, it was not pressed and won't stay on.

Please help.

Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One more question to ease my mind.
    When I installed the axle into the new Ford OEM bearings in the knuckles and tightened down the lug nuts, the wheel has a lot of movement in it ( A LOT!). A friend told me this would go away when I snug down the axle nut to 250 foot/lbs of torque (I believe that's the spec).

Can you confirm this will remove the wheel slop?

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Little help please?

Post Thanks / Like
    The nut does have to be torqued to 250 foot lbs. Try to find someone in the heavy diesel repair business that has a 3/4 inch torque wrench, they are generally pretty long and make the job relatively easy. You will want someone on the brake pedal while you are doing this or else make a long lever that bolts to the wheel studs on one end and hits the ground on the other end if you are doing the job yourself. It has been a while since I torqued mine but it sticks in my mind that the nuts are one time use only or you run the chance of them coming loose.
    FFR MK III #6055

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    timp2, thanks for the info. I'm aware these are MAJOR torqued nuts. (LOTS of leverage).
    I'm not ready to torque them down just yet, especially since I'm still waiting on a reply from FFR on the bearing seal situation (I called them Friday and they are supposed to get back and let me know.)

My torque question is: will torquing down the axle nut take the slop out of the knuckle bearings? I was told they are brand new Ford OEM bearings, but right now there is a lot of slop in both and with the axle and wheel on it was pretty noticeable, I hoping that tightening the axle nut will squeeze the bearing and get rid of this.

can someone please confirm my assumption is correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been looking at this thread for about a week now. That seal does not look familiar to us. I don't recall installing it on the IRS demo in the showroom. We do not believe it is critical to install it. It is just a dust cover. You could try calling Tasca Ford and see if the have a recommendation.

Torquing down the axle nut should eliminate any slop. Once you do that it should feel normal.

Sorry for the delay in our response. I can have the engineers take a look also when they get back from the SEMA show next week.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, that's an answer, but not what I was hoping to hear.

From talking to local guys, they all tell me I should have one (and I'd prefer to have a seal if they are available and the original axles came with them).
    Unfortunately, none of the chain parts stores carry them and talking to the Lincoln Parts man, his diagram shows them as part of the axle assembly and not sold separate.

Please advise. I really wanted to get this resolved in the next week so I can get them back together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know how you can come up with that answer Brian. Those seals are on all haft-shaft outers, go look at one. They are not user installed they are part of the assembly. Go get two off the shelf and ship them out to MPTech!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guys, I respect FFR a lot, but this answer doesn't help.
    It's been 2 weeks, plus I called and talked to someone who said they would respond with an answer.

I NEED an answer. I come home in a week and a half (currently in Manila, Philippines for 1 month) and want to resolve this when I get home PLEASE.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Post Thanks / Like
    MP,
    I have two used sets of halfshafts and probably still have the dust seals on them. If I have them (I need to check, but I should), and if you want a pair, PM me your address and I will mail them to you. I would think that they can be reused, so long as the fit is tight enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jacob, thanks for the offer! If you still have them and can get them off, I'd like to take you up on your offer as a backup plan. Let me know the cost. (I was told they are difficult to remove without damaging them, but would appreciate if you can let me know and PM me the cost to ship them to St. Louis.

Meanwhile, I really think FFR should address this issue. If they come that way from the factory, I think we should run them (I know I'd prefer the bearing seal to not running one).

If I don't hear from FFR by tomorrow (either reply to this thread or my email, like they said they would), I'll be calling them and not in such a good mood. It bothers me when I bring an issue to someone (especially when I've spent this kind of money) and my phone call is not returned (I was told they would reply by email) and my post is not adequately addressed.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MP,

Those seals need to be there, they are simply pressed on. I would suggest that you don't need to get too excited about some one not knowing about some of the finer details of the seals, it's one of those things that we just get used to seeing, and if they are not there, we don't miss them. You could always contact Raxles, http://www.raxles.com/axleparts.aspx for the part. Just tap the loose one back into place, just use the other one to see which way it goes on. If its loose, just use a dab of RTV in two places to hold it on. Once installed it will stay in place, as the compression between the axle and knuckle won't let it go anywhere.

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 11-07-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand mptechs frustration. When I was ordering my kit, everyone at ffr was eager to answer all my questions and talk as long as I wanted. That made the sale. I called the other day about a rotor that had a bad spot and was expecting a "we will get a new one out to you." Had to call call twice and still waiting on an answer as they check with the vendor. Not upset or anything, just different than I expected. But, isn't this whole project!