Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Troubleshooting

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump Troubleshooting

Hey guys,

I went to fire up the GTM tonight to do some more idle tuning and was met with a horribly low, RMP oscillating, and barely running engine. I checked over all the tables in my tune I have been working on to make sure I didn't inadvertently change something, and everything was all in order there. I went back over my logs for these horrible starts and noted that my fuel pressure had dropped significantly. I'm running the Lingenfelter High Flow fuel pump and was seeing solid 64 psi during the times the motor was running just fine. Now I'm seeing 3.5 psi on the logs for today and no wonder why the engine wasn't running for crap.

I remember as I went to start it up for a neighbor last thing on Sunday evening, I got a warning for lowering fuel pressure, but looked at my fuel gauge and ignored it thinking I just needed to fill the tanks up. I about topped them off today and obviously that wasn't the issue.

I just jumped 12V right to the fuel pump and watched my fuel pressure gauge and sure enough 3.5 psi. and a low hum from the pump.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this before I pull the fuel pump out of the tank to investigate further? If the pump was smoked would I still get some small level of pressure like I am? I remember blocking off the jet outlet before installing the tank, so I don't think its that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The jet pump outlet was my first thought......like the possibility that it blew off or ruptured somehow? Other than a toast pump, I can't think of anything else since you verified 12V at the pump....
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    The jet pump outlet was my first thought......like the possibility that it blew off or ruptured somehow? Other than a toast pump, I can't think of anything else since you verified 12V at the pump....
    Thanks for the reply Shane, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Looks like I'll pop the cap on the fuel tank later and pull this pump out to see if the jet outlet blew off somehow. Of course I had to go and top off the tanks with fuel before this issue came up thinking I was just low on fuel LOL. This should be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem solved. Sure enough my jet pump outlet plug blew off. Now I know what to expect if this ever happens again, but replaced the clamp with something a little more robust.