Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: FFR Roadster #5703 restart!

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Roadster #5703 restart!

Hey everyone, just a quick note to say hello and that my son and I have taken over this Roadster build to get her completed. Last year we completed our FFR '33 Hot Rod build and we found this opportunity of acquiring and getting this 2006 MK3 Roadster completed.

Here is a picture of our last build which has already been featured in the 2021 FFR calendar as well as the 2021 House of Kolor calendar.
    NKD_0057.jpg NKD_0136.jpg NKD_0116.jpg 20200622_193629.jpg

Hoping to have the same success as with this build!
    20210328_095937.jpg 20210328_100432.jpg 20210328_114039.jpg

We will need your sage advice as we move forward with this project!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

2. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. Did you pick it up locally or farther away? What drivetrain are you planning? Scott
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Your Hot Rod is incredible. Can't wait to see what you do with the roadster!
    MK4 Complete Kit, EFI 427W/TKO 600, 2015 IRS
    Ordered: 11/6/20, Kit Completion: 2/13/21, Picked Up: 2/16/21, Build Started: 2/19/21, First Start: 6/13/21, Go Kart: 8/15/21, Sent for Paint: 12/23/21, Back From Paint: 6/16/22, Street Legal: 7/11/22

5. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    Cool. Did you pick it up locally or farther away? What drivetrain are you planning? Scott
    We have an '88-95 302 Windsor block and building it up from there, will most likely end up close to a 347 Stroker, once i have all the specifics on parts I'll post it. Was fortunate that the previous owner was a mechanic and he had bought the majority of the major components, so no sense in recreating the wheel and spending money if don't have to. Brought it o my Dyno guy and he is going to spec the block, crankshaft, rods, pistons cam etc.... Once we have the clear picture and are assured that all is good (having the block magnafluxed and xray'd) we will final the missing parts based on recommendation. He is thinking to be able to get an easy 400HP (says he could do more but its not necessary, I agreed!) out of what he has seen so far.
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for some insight, knowing this vehicle started life close to 15 years ago, I am looking for insight on the steering column. Currently it does not have one and at the time this was purchased it did not have one, you had to get it from a scrap yard. Move 15 years later I am sure that there is a more elegant solution (Ididit) for the steering column to have the turn signals, hazards, tilt etc... on it. If you have a purchased steering column could you please provide part numbers and links to get them.

Appreciate any insight!!
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    On the roadster, there is no steering column perse like there is on the 33. There is an inner and outer double D steering shaft that sits within a couple of pillow blocks with adapters for the rack and wheel to bolt to. The steering system is comprised of several components that are hopefully included with the parts that came with the kit. Did your kit come with the manual? If not there used to be quite a good online manual for the MKIII that you could subscribe to.

Here's a thread I found that shows the pillow blocks and steering shafts. https://www.ffcars.com/threads/steer.../#post-1991376

Mine's a MKII so different than the MKIII. Scott
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17

9. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK again looking to all of you that have MK3 builds that are complete and possibly have used a March Performance Ford Windsor Serpentine Kit MCH-30170-08 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mch-30170-08 ), I am looking to purchase this kit for the front end. My question lies to fit and clearance of this equipment on the front end of the engine and how much space/clearance there is. Having come from building the Hot Rod, there is lean than a 1/4" clearances sometimes between the motor or the parts on the motor and the frame.

Should someone have used this kit and knows that with a 302 Ford Windsor it fits with good clearance that would be really helpful as my engine guy is templating then assembling our engine for us so I don't want to purchase something only to find out that I need to return it and wait for something else.

As always, your help is appreciated.
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    OK again looking to all of you that have MK3 builds that are complete and possibly have used a March Performance Ford Windsor Serpentine Kit MCH-30170-08 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mch-30170-08 ), I am looking to purchase this kit for the front end. My question lies to fit and clearance of this equipment on the front end of the engine and how much space/clearance there is. Having come from building the Hot Rod, there is lean than a 1/4" clearances sometimes between the motor or the parts on the motor and the frame.

Should someone have used this kit and knows that with a 302 Ford Windsor it fits with good clearance that would be really helpful as my engine guy is templating then assembling our engine for us so I don't want to purchase something only to find out that I need to return it and wait for something else.

As always, your help is appreciated.
    I'm running this kit which works well and is pretty good value. You can buy it without the PS bracket if you don't need it. Comes in a few different colours and finishes. Scott
    https://www.cfrperformance.com/FORD_...4300-m-kit.htm

IMG_0282.JPG

12. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay starting to get into the nitty gritty of this Roadster build and have decided to go with a black out version of the Roadster. In that light the headers, exhaust manifolds are ceramic coated and roll bars and a lot of the accessories are all chromed. I want to black them out all out and know how to handle the chromed parts, where I am stuck are the ceramic coated headers and exhausts. What I am looking for is advice or links of known processes that you know works. If anyone has done this then please share.

Thanks!!
    Andreas