Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Roadster Windshield Wipers

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Windshield Wipers

I purchased the Specialty Power Windows windshield wiper kit for my roadster build. It included all parts, motor, wheel boxes, cable, etc. except wiper arms and wiper blades. I plan on spacing the wheel boxes on the cowl in the same area as noted on the FFR windshield wiper instructions. I will probably order the arms and blades from Specialty Power Windows. My question is for those that have installed wipers is how long are the wiper arms and wiper blades that you have used? SPW may know the exact parts I need, I just wanted to know what others have used.

Thanks,
    Doug
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18

Post Thanks / Like
    For my Roadsters, I used the Lucas style wheelboxes with wipers from **********. So the hub wouldn't fit the SPW setup. But can at least help with the sizes. The parts I used are these (supplied by **********): https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/c...-polished-2371 (adjustable 9.25 - 11.81", adjusted all the way in as I recall)and https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/b...ess-steel-5563 (10"). Hope that helps a little.

Good to see you're still at it. Haven't seen any posts for awhile.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul. Yep, still at it. Getting the body and all that entails squared away. I plan on doing the bodywork and paint myself.
    Your truck build is looking good!
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18

4. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes edwardb liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    For my Roadsters, I used the Lucas style wheelboxes with wipers from **********. So the hub wouldn't fit the SPW setup. But can at least help with the sizes. The parts I used are these (supplied by **********): https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/c...-polished-2371 (adjustable 9.25 - 11.81", adjusted all the way in as I recall)and https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/b...ess-steel-5563 (10"). Hope that helps a little.

Hi Paul - are these similar to what you've implemented/built for your wipers?

specialty-power-wipers-specialty-power-wipers-univ.jpg

https://www.affordablestreetrods.com...eg-ub2-15.html
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    Hi Paul - are these similar to what you've implemented/built for your wipers?

specialty-power-wipers-specialty-power-wipers-univ.jpg

https://www.affordablestreetrods.com...eg-ub2-15.html
    No 100% sure what those are for. Do you mean under the cowl between the fiberglass and the wheel boxes? I threw away the kit provided spacers and made my own out of square aluminum. Takes a little experimentation to get the right angle and right length. Can even be different side-to-side since the body isn't always exactly the same underneath. Have used this same technique on several builds.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No 100% sure what those are for. Do you mean under the cowl between the fiberglass and the wheel boxes? I threw away the kit provided spacers and made my own out of square aluminum. Takes a little experimentation to get the right angle and right length. Can even be different side-to-side since the body isn't always exactly the same underneath. Have used this same technique on several builds.

yep I think it's a tower reinforcement part like you've made before... $25 is pricey for those little parts, but then again we all don't have the skills
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like

Wiper Motor Wiring?

Following this post and hoping for some expert help on the FFR wiper motor wiring for Mk4 Roadster with RF harness and FFR supplied Lucas wiper motor... switch was upgraded to the Cole Hersee electronic switch as seen on Paul’s build thread. I noted on other posts that the 12v power supply needs to wire directly to the Cole Hersee battery lead. I get 12v output to the hi and lo wires when switched, but no motor activity? I’m missing something... does the white RF harness wire previously connected to the Orange power wire get used at all? Thanks in advance for any help, this project is stumping me?
    Proud owner of #4 - 25th Anniversary Roadster delivered Sept 2019. Coyote Gen 3 with TKO 600 from Mike Forte delivered Jan 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdauble View Post
    . . . but no motor activity? I’m missing something... does the white RF harness wire previously connected to the Orange power wire get used at all? Thanks in advance for any help, this project is stumping me?
    When you use a modern day rotary switch (Cole Hersee) with a Lucas wiper motor, you need to include a relay to activate the park feature. The internal circuitry on Lucas stuff is kind of 'reverse logic'. Not sure what switch you have but this is how we do it with ours

Paul - Period Correct, LLC
    Wiper Wiring Diagram.png

11. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, I have that wiper system and I bought the 10” wiper arms and blades. The motor is VERY strong and you won’t get any rack slipping like on the FF system. (From what I’ve read)
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdauble View Post
    Following this post and hoping for some expert help on the FFR wiper motor wiring for Mk4 Roadster with RF harness and FFR supplied Lucas wiper motor... switch was upgraded to the Cole Hersee electronic switch as seen on Paul’s build thread. I noted on other posts that the 12v power supply needs to wire directly to the Cole Hersee battery lead. I get 12v output to the hi and lo wires when switched, but no motor activity? I’m missing something... does the white RF harness wire previously connected to the Orange power wire get used at all? Thanks in advance for any help, this project is stumping me?
    Also responded to your PM. I don't have any experience with that combination so can't offer any specific guidance. I've done several builds with the Lucas wiper motor and Lucas specific switch. Wired exactly per the instructions and all worked properly including park. On my Coupe build, I did use the Cole Hersee 75600-04 switch. But that was with the Specialty Power Windows WWK2 wiper system. Wired per the instructions from SPW and Cole Hersee. Also worked properly including park. I have not tried the Cole Hersee switch with the Lucas wiper motor. I did recall some discussion about this however in a previous forum post. Found this one over on the other forum: https://www.ffcars.com/threads/winds...switch.634310/. Apparently it does work (post #7). Some information in the thread but maybe not complete enough. Maybe GWL will see this thread or you could send a PM. Pretty sure he's active on both forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    Doug, I have that wiper system and I bought the 10” wiper arms and blades. The motor is VERY strong and you won’t get any rack slipping like on the FF system. (From what I’ve read)
    Thanks Mark. I ordered the adjustable stainless wiper arms and 10" blades form Specialty Power Windows, installed and all works very well. I did have to make upper and lower spacers for the wheel boxes as they were not included with the kit from SPW.
    I do not have experience with the FFR kit or switch. The Specialty Power Windows kit came with a 2 speed switch with park function, wired in per the FFR schematic and all works good.Wiper Wheel Box.jpg

15. Likes mburger liked this post