Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Body Fitment

Hey guys I have just put the body on for the first time. A little tough but I suspect it will get easier. I have a question though as you can see in the pics the bottom flange fits under the frame in this one spot only. I assume it is ' not supposed to be under the frame and needs to be trimmed off is that right? I hate reinventing the wheel so if anyone has any suggestions that will make the removal and subsequent assembly any easier please let me know. I am sure it will have to come off and put back on many times. I know you have to stretch it a lot to put it back on but sure makes me feel uneasy.
    0E8FE647-0213-4E89-9A26-258A85E331F7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    3CBEBF97-B62F-424B-B5DC-67BA207C9849.jpg90A476F7-BE0D-4891-A44E-8A14BF4F38AB.jpg -

Here are the other 2 pics. You can see the flange on the cab under the frame rail

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I trimmed mine in that area down low to come off easier for final paint.
    Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is tough to get on and off too, roll bars up top and down the front sides are getting pretty scratched up. I do need to trim the flanges and get more help. On mine I am setting the cab behind the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Behind the firewall?? Very interesting. to what end? I love this forum great ideas!!!! How far back are you guys trimming the flanges? In the final stage is there nothing between the edge of the bottom flange and the frame? Has anyone discovered a quick way to take it off and put it on? I am guessing with all of the one time I have done it, its start at the back tilt the cab back and slip it over the roll bars toward the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my experience was to start at the back and slight tilt forward to come down the front roll bars. The rear of the cab where it sits down by the bed top will need to be trimmed down to about a 1/4” so the bed floor sits flat on the frame.
    I had my cab on and off a few times . I painted my cab off the frame . While the cab was off I finished the inside of the cab with “flock it”. I welded in some 3 point seat belts in the roll bar then painted the roll bar to match the exterior which finished it all nicely. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver View Post
    Mine is tough to get on and off too, roll bars up top and down the front sides are getting pretty scratched up. I do need to trim the flanges and get more help. On mine I am setting the cab behind the firewall.
    I thought that the cab was supposed to fit behind the firewall - No?

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the cab fits behind the firewall. Butts up to the back side. image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I thought.

Gary
    FFR Gen 2 35 truck, Barrett Jackson edition # 4, chassis # 81, 525HP LS3 & 4L75E, 8.8" 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My frame is behind the firewall... IMG_1591 (2).JPG

...and FYI, when I put my body on, I did not realize that it was not fully seated and it caused issues with getting the front door jam/hinges aligned. After hours/days of studying it, I pulled the "horns" out a bit and pushed/pounded down on the firewall area of the body. It only moved down about 1/8" but it was enough to help get the hinges aligned. My flange (on both sides) is below the frame. Here's my thread on that...https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...gnment-problem

I think cutting the flange would be ok, as well as going under the frame (I hope), but either way, if the frame is not fully seated and/or is skewed at the front, it may cause problems at the front door jams.

Good luck!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys I just about made a huge mistake with the body in front of the firewall. it fell into place so perfectly. I will move it behind the firewall.