BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Gen 3 Coyote dowel pin removal

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote dowel pin removal

I spent the weekend indexing my quicktime bellhousing and it appears my total runout from 0 to 180 degrees is -.0125. My understanding is that you take this number and divide it in half (-.0625) and this falls out of spec with the manufacturers .005 max. So, if I'm doing this correctly (that is question #1) it appears I need a pair of .007 offset pins. My second question is the best recommended way to remove the dowel pins from the block without destroying them. Any advice would be so appreciated!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched that video myself not too long ago in preparation for dialing in my own bellhousing. I have not tried it yet. I am soaking the dowels as I wait on needed parts then hope to give this a go. Hopefully it works. Apparently this also works for pilot bearings. Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched the video and dowel pins came out as described. On the right side , a 10 mm bellhousing screw is easily inserted in the backside. However on the left side the block is configured such that there in no room to thread s screw in the backside of the hole, plus the threaded hole is not tapped in the last 3/8 inch. Ran a tap to completely open up the threads to the end of the hole. Then ran to ace and got a 10 x 1.5 screw, cut off about 6/8 inch of the thread and dremeled a groove to accept a flat head screwdriver. Threaded this plug in from the bellhousing side to the end of the hole and proceeded. Once dowel pin was removed placed a screw driver in and removed the plug. Now just need to get my offset pins delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bread.

Seriously, white or wheat. Doesn't matter. Grab a slice from the kitchen, and take it to the garage. Block off the back of the dowel hole with a bolt, threaded in from the front to create a blind hole from the dowel side.

Peel and stuff some bread into the dowel hole. Use a bolt or 3/8" extension to drive the bread through the dowel into the cavity. Hydraulic force will remove the dowel in under a minute with NO MESS. Works the same way as the grease in the video Mike linked above, but faster and cleaner. I've done it probably a dozen times and it works every time.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

6. Likes P100DHG liked this post