Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  63
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: First Autocross

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadracer has it. I wouldn't worry about classes. Just go w/ XP and have fun. People can go crazy, go broke, etc trying to pick a class to run in, and then pick a car to win that class. Then SCCA makes a change and BAM, you no longer have the horse for the course. People who run the national events and really, really try to win a class go to extremes. There is an AX out west somewhere that is basically a national runoff. It is a multi-day event. I have heard stories of guys showing up w/ three sets of mounted new tires. 1- the tire they currently think is the best, 2- the tire they think might be better (because there is enough time to do back to back testing), 3- a tire they feel is the best in the rain. This in addition to it being at least a 5 day deal so the need to cover the expense of living there for that amount of time in addition to towing time. As you do more events you will make acquaintances with other guys. Today I hung out a little here and there w/ a fast 2017 Mustang driver, a Corvette C6 ZO6 driver, a Fiat Abarth driver, a late model Camaro 1le driver, a Subaru driver, and a Porsche 911 driver. From about 2015 to 2019 I was good friends w/ a Lotus Exige driver. he was usually in a class by himself or w/ 1 or 2 others. We noticed that our times were usually close so he spent most of his time comparing to me. Don't get me wrong, I like to do well, but as long as each of my runs is faster than the previous, I go home satisfied. BTW, I never pay any attention to PAX.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

2. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I'm not out to win. I just want to reasonably compare my times with other cars.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about the 'heel stop" from Breeze. Sounds like something that would help me. I looked at the Breeze site and couldn't find it. Finesse does not come to me easily. I'm kind of ham fisted throwing the car about. I know I could be faster if I was smoother but heck I have fun! Speaking of fun, ck out the Motor vault event on Motorsports Reg. Coming up at Putnam Park in Green castle (central) Indiana July 23&24th. Motorvault is a Backdraft dealer organizing the event open to all marques and specifically Cobras! Run groups for all skill levels! Mary and I did this last year and had a blast! Any questions please ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to any favorite car parts site and look for something like this. I have one and they make a difference even on the street.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JOES-Racing-P...25837/10002/-1
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

6. Likes Matt Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ries View Post
    Tell me about the 'heel stop" from Breeze. Sounds like something that would help me. I looked at the Breeze site and couldn't find it. Finesse does not come to me easily. I'm kind of ham fisted throwing the car about. I know I could be faster if I was smoother but heck I have fun! Speaking of fun, ck out the Motor vault event on Motorsports Reg. Coming up at Putnam Park in Green castle (central) Indiana July 23&24th. Motorvault is a Backdraft dealer organizing the event open to all marques and specifically Cobras! Run groups for all skill levels! Mary and I did this last year and had a blast! Any questions please ask.
    The Breeze part number was 70757 but it isn’t on his site anymore. You could call him and find out where he was getting them or go the Jegs route. It is worth it IMO and a help with street driving too.

That Motorvault event sounds like a lot of fun, I wish we could get a Cobras only AX event going here in CO.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

8. Likes Matt Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt, look carefully at your throttle. If it is cable think about going to a linkage. W/either one, look into slowing down the carb movement relative to pedal movement. At some point you will be steering with the throttle, and having it easily controlled is a game changer.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

10. Likes Matt Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video on tire pressure:

Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

12. Likes danmas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you.
    Looks like a great time.
    Hope you get to do lots more!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456