Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The start of a new project

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LDave View Post
    So I ended up making a piece that runs along the bottom side of the body and is secured by the screws that come down through the rubber bump stops for the hood. It anchors to a piece of 1x1 on the passenger side on the foot box, and the other side anchors to the right side of a piece of the driver foot box 1x1. When I had it all mocked up the body was VERY stiff in that area, so I don't think I will have any flex problems after this. :-)

BTW... I'm just about at the point where the windshield needs to go in. And when reading the manual it says to shim the body between it and the frame until the flange makes full contact on the glass. Then you're suppose to run a nut / bolt through it to act as another body mount. Do any of you guys have pics of what you did at this step? The book didn't have any pictures of this, although I think it should Let me see what you guys got! Thanks in advance. I'm getting so close I can taste it!
    LDave,
    If you have any pictures of what you did to the body for reinforcement I would sure like to see them.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Why the two steering shaft spline pieces? Is the large one to big to hook up to the rack? Where did you find the smaller one at? Thanks, John

Post Thanks / Like
    The kit came with the other one, I don't exactly remember which one I ended up using. Small one I think? Maybe the larger would be used on a power steering rack, I don't really know. But it certainly was too large to put on the rack that came with the kit.

Bob - For my support piece, I just stretched a bar across the body to fit on the underside of where the hood rests. I had to bent it slightly to fit the curvature of the body. Then just welded a couple legs to it. Pass side will bolt to the 1x1 Drivers will bolt / rivet to the side of the foot box, or I may extend it to rest on the top of the foot box where the top 1x1 is (or whatever size that bar might be.)

Probably not the best design, but it will support it enough to make that section of the body not budge at all when I lean on it with my bodies weight. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    LDave,
    Thanks, I always need someone to show me a picture rather than just words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rj35pj View Post
    LDave,
    Thanks, I always need someone to show me a picture rather than just words.

Trust me, I feel the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    So my buddy with the Cannon 5D came over again and snapped a few cool pics of the coupe in its current state. I think they turned out pretty awesome!

BTW, if anyone in San Diego area wanted him to take some pics of their car I'm sure he would be willing to do a photo shoot. Just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    As always, very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow,

Thanks for making me feel like more of a snail then I already do !!LOL
    Great progress, looks like the new body makes a lot of diff as far as fit goes.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to use 309L stainless filler wire for welding stainless steel to carbon steel..It will keep cracking especially on exhaust pipe..Here is a short video on what happens when welding carbon steel to stainless steel and the fix for it..By the way like the LS engine install. What did you use for motor mounts? The Ford 4.6 mounts with extending the one arm to fit the back mounting hole on the block?

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...l-exhaust.html

Quote Originally Posted by LEave View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys!

As for the welding... The manifolds are cast iron, and the elbow is stainless. Lots of people out there are probably going to tell me that I'm doing it all wrong, but it has gotten me by so far. I just tig weld the two together with stainless filler rod. And sometimes when it cools I'll hear a loud POP, which is the weld cracking. So I'll lay down another bead over the entire thing. If it cracks again I'll weld another bead over the entire thing, until it stops cracking. Every time I have done this, it always eventually stops cracking. That's pretty much all I do. I've welded a few V-band flanges to turbine housings of turbo's, Tubing / flanges onto cast manifolds for waste gates, and several flanges onto the ends of manifolds to better suite my application. So far so good!

I have heard of people putting the work in the oven to preheat it. I might consider doing that but my oven is broken. Haha! Usually by the time you're doing the second bead, the manifold is already damn hot from all the tig welding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the video! I'll refer back to the video for some pointers if / when ever the time comes to make some repairs.

For the motor mounts I did use the ford 4.6 mounts. But since I am using an iron block, there is no threaded hole further back on the block. So instead of extending the arm back, I cut it off and flipped it inward. Then tried to add some sort of gusset on there for some extra strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its registered and legal!!!! WAHOO!!! Just drove it to work today for the first time too. Feels great to be able to take it out for a spin now. :-) On my way home I stopped by my moms house to show her what kind of "toy" I'm working on now. And she made me pose in front of the car like it was my first day of High School. Haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go. You made quick work of that thing. How's the engine and gearing feel?
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks pretty darn good for gel coat! Nice job on the preliminary hood and door fit.

Do you have any pictures of the transmission mounting? I assume it is the LS T56?

Congrats on being legal.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    engine feels pretty smooth and strong. Doesn't really pull to hard from a dig. Probably because of the 2.73 rear end. Haha. On the freeway i'm at 1100rpm at 70mph. So a new rear end set up is on the wish list. Otherwise, everything is pretty darn good!

For the T56 I used an energy suspension trans mount. Had to trim the bracket on the frame a little bit and drill a new hole. Didn't take too much to make it work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just over 6 months from start to road-legal, very impressive! Nice build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive indeed in multiple ways - congrats on reaching this milestone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Dave. The car looks good! My Dad and I are all a$$es and elbows on ours right now.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all! just wanted to give you guys an update on the car. Since I lasted posted in here I've installed a set of turbos on the car, and changed the ring and pinion from a 2.73 over to 3:54's(MUCH BETTER) This thing is a blast to drive! I've taken it out to the track a few times as well. The car gets a ton of attention, and holds its own against the other guys. Of course I drive the car to and from the track too. Here are some pics and a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oiskn...hannel&list=UL

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me be the first to say:

HOLY.

SMOKES.

And judging by your other videos, you're no stranger to this...

Maybe I'm missing something, are they 7 second 1/4 miles?! How much power are you putting out and I'm guessing that's an air to water intercooler?

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy does that pull strong from the line for a street car.. VERY nice!
    Yea, same interest, that can't be 7 second 1/4 mile times with a trap speed of 99MPH..
    Enquiring minds want to know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    ...are they 7 second 1/4 miles?
    1/8 mile. Although conversion isn't an exact science Dave's ~7.2 1/8 mile would approximate an 11.2-11.4 quarter mile

Great work Dave; I always enjoy your updates!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave

I just watched your video. Pretty cool! You really creamed that vette! How much boost are you running?

A couple of questions. Where did you run the steam line that comes of the heads? What throttle cable are you using? I am getting close to putting my engine back in for good.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
    Dave

I just watched your video. Pretty cool! You really creamed that vette! How much boost are you running?

A couple of questions. Where did you run the steam line that comes of the heads? What throttle cable are you using? I am getting close to putting my engine back in for good.

JC
    JC on my LS I used the FFR throttle cable. I made my own bracket at the TB as my engine was originally a drive by wire. The steam pipe I ran straight to the vent port on the upper drivers side of the FFR supplied radiator. BTW I ran one autocross this sumer in 104 degree temps and after 10 hard runs the car was still doing fine on temps and never overheated.

Nice build Dave! It is amazing how quickly you got it done. With my stock LS1 I can't hook up until 3rd gear. I can only imagine the traction problems with the boost on the street.
    Mike......FFR Coupe #340, 2003 LS1 350 RWHP, TKO 500, QT BH, Champ 10 QT pan, 5 Lug and AC, Cobra Disc, SAI mod, Nitto NT-01 275/315 ..Licensed for 28k..Just over 30k w/race tires and many mods
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/mmarshall01/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stlmarshall
    2011, 2012, and 2013 St Louis region XP Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! Jeff is correct, this is an 1/8th mile track. The closest 1/4 mile track is about 120 miles from me. Which I would imagine I'll be making my way up to sometime. I am also running an air to water intercooler. I couldn't think of any way to make a front mounted air to air intercooler work, unless I ran small diameter piping. My IATs are pretty solid between 95 - 100 degree's. If I could figure out a way to get the air filters to suck up cooler non-engine bay air I'm sure they would drop a lot more. But it will do for now. I am running a Lokar throttle cable P/N TC-1000LS148. I've used this cable on all LS swaps I've ever done and it works great. The boost is pretty low, roughly 8-9psi. I feel like it should be faster for the boost its at, but I guess its a good starting point.

JC - I just capped my steam line off. I know you're suppose to use it to purge air from the system but I have never done anything other then cap it off. The car doesn't get hot by any means either. 185* all day long.

Marshall - I actually haven't ripped on it in the streets too much. I don't have too many long straight open roads around me, and I'm too scared of 1. getting pulled over, and 2. loosing control and wrecking the car. But every now and then when I want to pass someone on the freeway...

Post Thanks / Like
    have fun with your build,just bought my 65 about 3 months haveing fun with it yes lots of questions ,but someone comes through with the answer

Post Thanks / Like
    just started my 65 coupe working on the door hinges anyone have any pictures thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! Jeff is correct, this is an 1/8th mile track. The closest 1/4 mile track is about 120 miles from me. Which I would imagine I'll be making my way up to sometime. I am also running an air to water intercooler. I couldn't think of any way to make a front mounted air to air intercooler work, unless I ran small diameter piping. My IATs are pretty solid between 95 - 100 degree's. If I could figure out a way to get the air filters to suck up cooler non-engine bay air I'm sure they would drop a lot more. But it will do for now. I am running a Lokar throttle cable P/N TC-1000LS148. I've used this cable on all LS swaps I've ever done and it works great. The boost is pretty low, roughly 8-9psi. I feel like it should be faster for the boost its at, but I guess its a good starting point.

JC - I just capped my steam line off. I know you're suppose to use it to purge air from the system but I have never done anything other then cap it off. The car doesn't get hot by any means either. 185* all day long.

Marshall - I actually haven't ripped on it in the streets too much. I don't have too many long straight open roads around me, and I'm too scared of 1. getting pulled over, and 2. loosing control and wrecking the car. But every now and then when I want to pass someone on the freeway...
    Ever think about methanol injection to keep the air intake temps down?

Love this build.. been thinking about a Daytona coupe.. really would like to do a supercharged coyote but wondering about fitment.. Seeing your turbo ride makes me think that might be the way to go.. really looking for atleast 500wHP..
    current daily driver is 630wHP Camaro.. would like the idea of this daytona being faster..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobradl View Post
    just started my 65 coupe working on the door hinges anyone have any pictures thanks
    Sorry, I don't think I took any pics of that part of the build. But its fairly straight forward. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by gq4life View Post
    Ever think about methanol injection to keep the air intake temps down?

Love this build.. been thinking about a Daytona coupe.. really would like to do a supercharged coyote but wondering about fitment.. Seeing your turbo ride makes me think that might be the way to go.. really looking for atleast 500wHP..
    current daily driver is 630wHP Camaro.. would like the idea of this daytona being faster..
    I actually am planning to put an AEM methanol kit on the car. But I'm waiting on getting a few pieces of it back from AEM (warrantee) If you are only looking to get 500 at the wheel that shouldn't be too difficult to do. So what kind of times does a 630hp camaro get you at the track?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched your video..That little Beast pulls strong!
    Any 1/4 mile times yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Just watched your video..That little Beast pulls strong!
    Any 1/4 mile times yet?
    Thanks movievan! No 1/4 mile times yet, just heard that the closest 1/4 mile track that use to be 120 miles away is now shut down. So the next closest is about 250 miles away! Lame...

BTW, I took the car out to the strip again and managed to pull off a 6.9 @ 103! Finally broke into 6's on pump gas. Which has been my goal for many years now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks movievan! No 1/4 mile times yet, just heard that the closest 1/4 mile track that use to be 120 miles away is now shut down. So the next closest is about 250 miles away! Lame...

BTW, I took the car out to the strip again and managed to pull off a 6.9 @ 103! Finally broke into 6's on pump gas. Which has been my goal for many years now.
    Grab two buddies, a 3/4 ton pickup and rent a trailer..Worth the trip just to know.
    If It was me I'd be itching to know what that beast would do.
    From that vid for a pure street car it REALLY pulls strong out of the gate. Yes, you do hear a little jealousy in my words ..LOLOL..Very well done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123