Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: No Turning Back

Post Thanks / Like

No Turning Back

Well, it is now official. All my other toys are gone to make floor space and finances for my MK4.

Ordered a complete kit two weeks ago and that has suddenly made the sadness over my other toys leaving... somehow okay. Ordered on-line from the FFR site with a follow-up by the FFR team to discuss and confirm my selections. Great discussion of kit options and about power plants that was very enlightening. Really knowledgeable guy to chat with. Has me pretty much sold on the Blueprint 306 with the TKX tranny. If anyone has anything good or bad to say about that combo I am all ears.

Anyhow, the hardest part is going to be the waiting. Oct 16 completion date... sigh. My youngest son (11) is so excited to help me with the build and just can't understand why he has to wait so long. It's obviously all about him. I just tell him waiting builds character and the wait will be worth it when the kit arrives. Trying to be mature about it even though I share his same excitement. I never really did grow up and develop a mature sense of patience. Never will. 8o)

We did have fun this past weekend with roadster'ish stuff, though. Bought the material and we already built the body buck. By the time that was done, we were five hours closer to delivery date... awesome! Now what can we do to kill some more time????

... more to come.

2. Likes CaptB liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard!
    A Grand Adventure Has Just Begun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered my kit on May 4th and also have a Oct 16th completion date. I have my 74 Corvette sitting in the garage awaiting pickup from the buyer to make room also. I agonized over the 306 vs Coyote and IRS vs Solid Axle decision but in the end decided I'll only live once and went Coyote/IRS.

I look forward to both our builds!

Post Thanks / Like
    I sold an airplane to clear finances on mine. Ordered in March, should be here in August. Slowly collecting everything else I need, axle, engine/transmissioin, etc. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes... sounds like common approaches. Sell the toys... start accumulating parts during the wait. Already got the power brake kit from Whitby and the mechanical throttle linkage kit from Forte. Both were recommendations from this forum and I am loving the insights. Currently looking at tire packages as well. I'm going with the FFR Halibrands (17x9 and 17x10.5) but haven't picked out the rubber yet. Thinking MT Street Comps, perhaps... but ideas and feedback welcome. All stuff to start filling recently cleared shelf space while I'm getting organized... and a bit bored.

I thought about the Coyote. Have a 2016 F150 with that motor and love it. Sounds like it is pretty bulletproof as a power plant in these cars as well. However, I kind of like the idea of the old school, carburated pushrod motors (hopefully I don't regret giving up modern technology). That... and I have 2 kids going off to college next year so I'll probably stick with the 306 to save a little bit more on the side for them. I'm a giver and willing to make SOME sacrifices. 8o)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Bucket List and welcome to the mayhem (fun). I ordered my kit last June after takiing a trip to FFR and was very impressed by their operation. I ordered it the day I was there and picked it up 7 weeks later. If you have the opurtunity to visit FFR by all means make the trip and go see how they do things.They opened all the doors when I was there. Sorry it is going to take some time to see your kit but Covid is the buzzword nowadays and the slowness of our world today revolves around it. Hopefully when your kit comes your way there won't be too much on the backordered list but after you do your inventory set up your work schedule to work around Part On Order list. There will be a list I'm sure, we have all dealt with the list to some degree and it is the frustrating part of building our cars. I came to a halt building mine when the radiators and shocks were backordered. But there are always things to do to keep going to some degree. My car is in the last stage which is paint, and it's something I don't do enough to be great at but it will look very nice when I get done or it won't leave my shop until it is. Building the chassis was very enjoyable and a lot of fun. It's really starting to get to me now because the warm weather is here and I want to drive. About three more weeks and it should be done. Enjoy your car, it is quite an experience and the knowledge on this forum is extensive and will help you a lot along the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about in the same boat. Very impatient and excited. I just sold a guitar I'd been pining after since I was 12, have the money for deposit and then some, but it'll be a little while before I'm physically in a place to build the car. About a 6 month wait on order to delivery? Anyone know how far out you can request for completion date in advance?

Post Thanks / Like
    ggunter... that is awesome. Looking forward to being at the stage were I can really anticipate the driving. For now it seems so far off. I AM expecting a long backorder list based on watching Dave's FFR updates on Youtube. Sounds like the supply chain stuff is day to day. Unfortunately, and common thread I am hearing is delays for spindles. Once to the main things I want to get done quickly is getting the suspension and wheels on. I guess it isn't really needed, but there is an advantage to being able to roll it around in my build space. But hey.. if they are delayed... they are delayed.

I have been looking at seats of late... while watching the days creep by to delivery. Was originally going to go with the Kirkey's from the FFR site, but they appear to be on extended backorder. At Summit Racing, however, I found what appears to be the same seats (Series 65s). They come in width of 16, 17, 18. Was thinking to just get them from there at the 17 width. By chance did you do any research on this as you were looking at seating options? Just curious.

Anyhow, good luck with the paint. Body and paint work of this magnitude will be new for me as well. Anxious to hear how you fair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately... no. I went the ASAP route and with a May order landed in mid October.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun house. I ordered my Daytona Coupe in March with a completion date of July 31 hoping to see it delivered in early August and keeping my fingers crossed that there will be enough parts to start building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! A few months behind you, so it’s good to read the same decisions I’m contemplating. My son is asking same questions - “when are we going to build the car?”

Hope delivery date gets here soon for both you and your son!