Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe build with IRS

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coupe build with IRS

Hello, a question on my build regarding the IRS half shafts. Considering to use ford racing heavy duty half shafts for 2015 mustang gt. Anyone use these ford racing half shafts, do these fit our gen 3 coupes?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mustang half shafts don't fit, the Coupe ones are shorter. Some are running over 700 HP with no issue with the FFR parts.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the information.

Post Thanks / Like
    To expand slightly on David W's answer -- agree the Factory Five supplied IRS parts are shorter than those on a Mustang. They do however contain the OE Ford constant velocity (CV) joints. The Ford part number is on the parts. I personally have not heard of a single failure of the provided axles for this application. Keep in mind how much lighter these cars are than a Mustang. Upgraded aftermarket parts aren't needed IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with all here. I considered these as well since I will have a high HP/Torque set up. Most homework I did on the drive train, clutch, trans options was convinced that since the weight of the cars is so much less than "new" cars all these parts don't have the same load on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being the physics geek I am, I ran these numbers a while ago. Like others have said, you are not going to break any of the stock drivetrains bits in this car, regardless of the torque or tire size. The only potential weakness is the half-shafts/axles.

Are they new bits FF had made, or are they cut down from the stock axles?

If cut down, were the new splines cold rolled or cut? If cut, that would be the weak link. You can heat treat cut splines and it helps, but it still will not be as strong as cold rolled splines.

If they were made, are they forged or machined? If machined, cold rolled or cut?

EDIT: Forgot the to add. In case it was not known, Tremec rates their transmission using a 5,000 pound load.
    Last edited by Skuzzy; 06-04-2021 at 06:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the half shafts are made for FFR but no idea what the splines are. But unless you are planning an all out drag car they will be fine, the tires will spin first. I don't know of anyone that has had a failure with the new style IRS.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    If I sounded like I was implying they were not up to the task, allow me be clearer.

I did not mean to imply or infer the shafts were not up to the task, regardless of the method used in manufacturing. The OEM shafts were made for a car much heavier than the Coupe making it really difficult to make a replacement set which would not be up to the task.

Sometimes I will get caught up in the minutiae......Okay, okay,...a lot of the times.