Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Church's 818c Build

Post Thanks / Like

Church's 818c Build

It has finally started, the donor teardown has begun, and I'm getting ready to order my kit. I am starting with an '07 WRX, unfortunately from Florida, so I'm already finding a good amount of rust. I'm currently working on dropping the front assembly to begin tearing down the engine. I am a complete amateur, so lot's of learning by doing, YouTubing, and screwing up but having fun so far! I'm still working through what exactly I want to do in regards to options, and I'll probably need to replace the harness (totally wrecked from a bad stereo job), exhaust, and quite a few other pieces from rust, but the engine appears to be in good shape so far.

I greatly appreciate all the tips, advice, and warnings I have received so far from other builders, so please keep them coming!

20210605_084010.jpg
    20210607_164121.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely know the feeling... Tearing down that WRX engine was so foreign to me and I often questioned how I'd get it back together. One thing that helped me a lot is I took a picture of the engine every time before I removed anything. Then I labeled the printed picture with the part and stuck it in a labeled bag. So started out with picture 1, and parts were labeled 1-1, 1-2, etc... Found it invaluable when re-assembling the engine and having parts I didn't have a clue where they went... :-( Here's picture 1, and the final one before I split the block. (19)

Picture 1.jpgPicture 19.jpg

Happy to say that it went back together, I learned a lot in the process, and most importantly, it runs!!!
    IMG_2631.jpg

Final recommendation is get very comfortable understanding how the FSM is laid out. Took me way too long in the beginning to find things like torque values, only to realize they're all right in the beginning of each section. Now I can find things rather fast.

Good luck!
    -Rob

3. Thanks Church thanked for this post
    Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrashrob View Post
    I absolutely know the feeling... Tearing down that WRX engine was so foreign to me and I often questioned how I'd get it back together. One thing that helped me a lot is I took a picture of the engine every time before I removed anything. Then I labeled the printed picture with the part and stuck it in a labeled bag. So started out with picture 1, and parts were labeled 1-1, 1-2, etc... Found it invaluable when re-assembling the engine and having parts I didn't have a clue where they went... :-( Here's picture 1, and the final one before I split the block. (19)

Picture 1.jpgPicture 19.jpg

Happy to say that it went back together, I learned a lot in the process, and most importantly, it runs!!!
    IMG_2631.jpg

Final recommendation is get very comfortable understanding how the FSM is laid out. Took me way too long in the beginning to find things like torque values, only to realize they're all right in the beginning of each section. Now I can find things rather fast.

Good luck!
    -Rob
    Hey Rob, I appreciate the insight. I'm also contemplating just sending the long block in to be rebuilt. I'm getting quotes coming in at like, $3500 so weighing if that's worth it. I'm more interested in the build, rather than figuring out tolerances, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot to be said for that given the price. I paid over $2,000 just to have the heads and block done. By the time you add in seals, hoses, etc, I probably came close to $3K. But for me I wanted to learn the engine as much as I wanted to build the car. Last engine I rebuilt was out of a 1964-1/2 Mustang...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super job! Engine/Trans looks great!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    did you try contacting IAG in Maryland for rebuild quotes? Based on the rust and corrosion I wouldn't suspect that donor spent its whole life in FL, rest of the vehicle looks pretty clean from the pics.

a whole new harness just from a hacked up stereo job? Seems a little excessive.

Also, don't forget your rear door strikers from the donor. Heat the screw with a torch, they have thread locker, and remove with a #3 phillips.
    Factory Five 818c #456