Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Shipping/Dust plugs for IRS Center Section. Update: no longer needed

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping/Dust plugs for IRS Center Section. Update: no longer needed

I recently purchased a complete IRS assembly from thepartsfarm.com. After tearing it down and pulling out the half-shafts the smell was awful from the differential fluid. For those guys who have bought new IRS center sections from FFR or another Ford Performance dealer, did the center section ship with some sort of dust plug to cover the holes the half-shaft fit in? Those plugs or dust covers are what I am looking for so I can store the center section without the half-shafts until I need it for my build. The plugs/covers would keep dust and dirt out and keep my wife from kicking me and the center section out of the house.

I don't know what they look like or what they would be called but I would like to buy a set from someone who purchased a new center section and doesn't need them anymore after installation.

Troy
    Last edited by Jammer369; 06-26-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they come with a new diff from Ford Performance. I've got some but hanging onto them for the future just in case. The friction modifier in the diff oil is what you're smelling and it's foul that's for sure. Solvent clean the surface of the ends and put on a couple strips of Gorilla tape. That stuff holds very well and will seal it up. Probably better than the plastic plugs.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks Jammer369 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yes they come with a new diff from Ford Performance. I've got some but hanging onto them for the future just in case. The friction modifier in the diff oil is what you're smelling and it's foul that's for sure. Solvent clean the surface of the ends and put on a couple strips of Gorilla tape. That stuff holds very well and will seal it up. Probably better than the plastic plugs.
    Great idea with the Gorilla tape Paul. That stuff is awesome! I will use that until I can find someone who I can get a set of plugs from.
    Last edited by Jammer369; 06-23-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So one of the guys (Jeff Evans) on the FB group gave me an idea to make my own plugs using the inboard CV housing from the half shafts. He ended up cutting close to the CV joint and plugging the remaining stub back in the center section. I started cutting and then got lazy and took the boot off to see what that CV joint looked like. There is a thin lock ring just inside the lip of the housing. Once you remove it with a small slotted screwdriver that whole CV joint just comes right out. A little brake cleaner to clean the heavy grease out of it and I now have a set of plugs that fit perfectly.

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

6. Likes narly1 liked this post